• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got an Xj again!

Could be.... The ECU may be damaged.
If you have verified that you have power and ground where you're supposed to....then I'd say all signs point to the computer.
The whole "accidently jumped the starter" thing, and it cranked, tells me there may be something else going on.....that alone DOES make it sound like the ignition switch. (i know you just replaced it, -just sayin)

Neutral safely switch. They also have one at the clutch I would bet, maybe one or the other. I just dont know I never had a manual trans Cherokee.

Try adjusting the ignition switch a bit, if that doesnt work replace it. Sounds like the culprit to me.

Does your radio/wipers/blinker all work?

If not its 100% for sure your ignition switch.

edit- no the manual does not have a NSS

The manuals do not have a NSS, but they DO have a clutch switch.
This does two things. Kills the ability for the starter to engage while the clutch is not depressed, and to disengage the cruise control (if equipped) once the pedal IS depressed.
But it sounds like you're not only NOT getting crank, (unless you jump the relay) but that everything else is dead too. (Is that right?)
A while back when I did my first (downstream) o2 sensor swap, I had disconnected the battery. When I hooked it back up, the Jeep would not start. In fact it was acting like the battery was dead. I would get some dash lights, and the done light would turn on, but NOTHING when I turned the key. I later found out, that even though the terminals were on the battery nice and snug, they weren't getting good continuity. After cleaning both the posts, AND the inside of the terminals, until all metal was shiny and clean, and then pressing on the terminals with all my might and THEN securing them REALLY well, did it act normally, and start as it should.
You MAY have something else going on, but this might be a couple areas for you to look into.

Yeah, i don't get any dash lights or anything. We did clean the battery post and the cables really well.
I also don't think it's the clutch switch since it didn't need to be in to start before, and it is loosing power not just not turning over.

When it was still getting power before it totally died it would turn over and die and then start turning over again and die.... over and over and over. So something definitely died on me.

It may be worthwhile to go to the JY and get a ECU to swap out to see if thats the problem.....May come down to having to start throwing parts at this thing to figure it out.
Sorry man. Good luck.

FIXED IT. I put on a new ground to the battery and also one from the block to the body, and ran a new power wire. I believe the biggest issue was the power wire. The thing runs!!! I just have to reassemble and it's time to wheel!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!
Glad to hear it was an easy fix!

THE SAGA CONTINUES!!!!

I am way to trusting of a human being. I trust people I meet on Craigslist and end up getting screwed in the process... Oh well. Lesson learned.

So the new axle made my binding issues worse... I popped off the diff cover on the d35 and low and behold it has 3.07 gears not 3.73. COOL STORY.

But my cousin has come to the rescue and offered his 8.8 with 3.73 up and I can put it on then sell the d35 to pay him.

So if anybody is interested I now have a d35 with a locker and 3.07 gears for sale if anybody is interested!
Also this doesn't really look like a detroit locker to me...
gears_zps56ff0010.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a lockrite or maybe an aussie. Definently not a detroit.

The locker would be cheap to fix, you can buy a repair kit for it.
Not sure whats involved but it is possable to put a D35 lunch box locker in a D30 if want to lock the front.

If there isnt any markings on it to identify what it is you can easily ID it from the pins and springs.
154_0910_02_zjeep_drop_in_lockerspins_and_springs_zps6c161be9.jpg

And that diff fluid shouldn't be foamy like that.
Usually thats a sign of moisture (water) or overfilling.
It could just be the type of oil too..... I hear lucas oils like to foam...but cant confirm this from my own experience.

And Mnkyboy is right, thats definitely an Aussie.
The lock-right's dont have the spring window that goes all the way to the end like that.

Yeah it was a bit overfull and was Lucas oil. I am moving on from this rear end. I will fully disclose whats wrong with it or what i think is wrong with it when i sell it. No More people are getting screwed by this jeep.

I ordered the spring perches and new ubolts for the 8.8 yesterday. Now i just have to wait for the parts to get here. My cousin is donating a driveline that i can use to make a flange adapter as well.

So yesterday was a very long and busy day for me.

I put some fuel in the jeep and the gauge did this. I think something might be stuck...
IMG_0074_zps7a9285eb.jpg

Drove the jeep over to Longview/Kelso to the shop that my uncle and cousin work on a race truck in (Worlds fastest modified diesel truck, 16 cylinder detroit diesel engine. http://www.jointventureracetruck.com/). But before I could do any work we had to help out with the current projects, which today was tearing down the trailer they use to haul the truck to the salt flats. Holy rusted metal batman!
IMG_0075_zps3c9bd06a.jpg

and here is a cool panoramic of the trailer and one end of the shop with the race truck in pieces in the background
IMG_0076_zpse99e7a0d.jpg

So after tearing that trailer down I finally got to work on the jeep. Took the old Dana 35 out and tossed it off to the side.
IMG_0081_zpsd8b10b1e.jpg

Here it is with no axle.
IMG_0078_zpsb7aa2098.jpg

Now to the 8.8, Here is my cousin cutting off the old spring perches and the sway bar brackets. (Yes i did some of the work on this, I just couldn't take pictures of myself).
IMG_0079_zpsf652d654.jpg

Here it is ready to be cleaned up.
IMG_0080_zpsfc11e64e.jpg

Unfortunately i didn't get any pictures of the perches mounted up or us re-working the brakes.

Here it is all bolted in though. We decided to make some custom shock mounts to improve my ground clearance, so I will need new shocks in the near future.
IMG_0082_zpsc48d2854.jpg

IMG_0085_zpscdcb3e87.jpg

Also a closeup of my new shock mounts.
IMG_0086_zpse5f80b3b.jpg

Here it is all done. I gained another 1-2 inches with this thing too.
IMG_0083_zps9ebe5bbe.jpg

and to top all of it off I get to come home to a BRAND NEW bed.
IMG_0084_zps94cdc3bd.jpg

This project took us about 5 hours of work, and really wasn't that hard at all. You lose about 2 inches or so of width but it is barely noticeable. I tested out the 4wd and everything functions properly now! Getting ready to schedule a brown scamp trip very soon.

All that's left it to fix some of the small issues like only having high beams (bad switch), and fixing my tail lights and blinkers.

Last edited:
Yeah the 35 break lines were a direct swap. Before you put the axle on the truck make sure you break loose the bleeders and clean them out. saves a big headache if they are froze.

we disconnected it right here, where one of the PO's made a cute little bracket to lower the line.
IMG_0088_zps164535ca.jpg

Back