• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got an Xj again!

So I just got a raise at work, that means I'm gonna be putting more money into this thing!!!

I plan to 3 link the front here pretty quick. And I want to get more lift but can't seem to find many options with leafs so I think a 4 link in the rear is going to happen soon. Maybe even 1 3/4 Ton running gear and coils in the rear.

But for now SYE and new tires are a priority. Any other cool/needed modification suggestions are welcome. Im ready to make this my dream jeep.

CONGRATS on the raise man..... its always nice to have a little more goin toward the jeep fund!

Thanks, my cousin inspired me this weekend when we were discussing the build for his 87 ranger. He has 3/4 ton running gear and is linking the front. And like I said my research so far hasn't found to many options for the height and articulation I want with leaf springs. So 4 link it is! I'm gonna try and get all the pieces ready to go this winter and have it mocked up and ready to assemble next spring. My shop has a leaky roof and it's cold during the winter (my shop is my driveway with a pop up canopy)

Well in my adventure to cure my death wobble I have done quite a few things to try and fix it.

New tie rod and drag link (new to me :p(it's from a v8 zj)
IMG_0748.jpg

Swapped in new axle u joints
IMG_0757.jpg

but I think I have finally found my problem... This is my passenger side LCA at the axle...
IMG_0761.jpg

So next pay day it looks like I'm putting in an order to Rustys.

I have also got a few other things done.

My seats are completely toast. But i didn't have a ton of money available at the time, I am not color blind. Yes I know 1 is brown and 1 is tan.... But the seat is in much better condition and matches as far as style.
IMG_0756.jpg

I also bought some rims from a co-worker. $200 for 5 brand new never used rock crawler rims. 15x8.
IMG_0749.jpg

Here are the 35" bfg Mt's I got sitting next to the jeep. They are on chevy/toyota rims right now, otherwise they would be on the jeep.
IMG_0741.jpg

And here is my BADASS!!!! spare tire I got from a friend.
IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

Ok so i was kinda jumping the gun on the whole bushing thing, I can order just bushing but not from rustys i don't think. I just really wanna 3 link this sob.

I wouldn't normally make this a seprate post, but the edit button is MIA.

3 link is going to jump your build to the next level man. you seem to have a front end problem going on, i have seen manny short arm setups flex amazing. and be plenty capeable. if it were me id go for a front end lift kit. it will give you new control arms, shocks, springs, and possably brake lines. a simple way to fix the stering problems ( if you havent already) is grab a complete good setup off of a v8grand cherokee. there chep and will work well on 33"tires. why fight it, this stuff is so cheep in the aftermarket/wrecking yards. you could have it orderd, dilevered, installed, and on the road within a week. for not to bad of a price.

i did a 3" on my 00 in less than a week for under $400. just:geek:

Bronze.

I already have th v8 tie rod and drag link from a zj. And it has a rustys 4.5 inch spring pack lift. I am almost 100% sure it's the bushings now. I'm gonna replace them and wheel it a bit and when I get the money together I'm going for the 3link or more likely a Y link setup.

I am pretty convinced that the kid I got it from knew about all of these issues and decided not to tell me about it. He made sure the bill of sale said we traded AS IS! The breaks were on wrong when I got it too so I couldn't really drive it much besides at low speed into my driveway and he asked me if it drove ok and was kind of relived when I said it was fine.

Well, I lost my crappy job and tried to sell this and a lot of other stuff but nobody wanted this lol. So I decided to keep it because the only offers I was getting would put me on the losing end of the deal.

So I can't get rid of it so I'm gonna VERY slowly get it ready to wheel, while I head back to school to become a diesel mechanic. I have a lot of family in the field so I hope to be able to find a decent job when I get done.

I got lots of plans for this jeep and I hope I can get them done.

Best of luck.....looks like the Jeep gods have plans for you and your ride!
Hope to see you out on the trails this summer! (or earlier) :)

To get me bare bones wheelabe I just need to get some matching axle gears. I have my eyes on an entire Dana 30 with the gears I need for $50 but I have to wait until Friday before I can get it. I just hope its still there. Then I will have some spare parts for the trails where I know I will break some shafts and whatnot.

Got a new axle today with the right gears. I just need to swap it over. I think we are gonna just swap the new axle over because swapping gears seems like it would be a giant pain versus just swapping the axles straight across.

I also have had issues with my battery dying when it sits, so i charge the battery and left it off the jeep. I put it in yesterday and the jeep had no power at all. I just figured the battery was dead, but when i swapped over my Comanche's battery it still had no power. So i have a new problem to deal with before i can drive this thing.

So i swapped over the new axle a few weeks ago, got the rig started after doing some battery swapping and wire wiggling, only to find out the gears are good! but it died after rolling only 20 feet and won't start again. The battery is good, i just replaced the ignition switch, and i am gonna replace the starter relay just for fun.

It has no power when i turn the key on, but i still have headlights( no radio or dome to check if they work though). We checked the wiring and it has power to the ignition switch. I am at a loss with this thing.

any tips or ideas on what it could be would be much appreciated, and yes i have googled this and most say it's the ignition switch, and i searched the forum but haven't found anything like this that what i have done hasn't fixed.

Neutral Safety Switch?
Bad ground somewhere?
Fuseable link?
Fuel pump (relay or fuse or both)

Will it crank?
If so does it have spark?
If so does it have fuel pressure?

Sounds tricky man.
Maybe something in the hookup of the new ignition switch didnt get hooked up right, or isnt "fully plugged in" or something.
Wish you were closer..... I'd come over and help you troubleshoot.

Sorry forgot some of the details. Will not crank, nothing happens when i turn on the key. But when testing the wires from the starter relay we accidentally jumped the starter and it did turn over.
do manual rigs have the nuetral safety switch? It would start whether or not the clutch was in when it actually ran.
We replaced the power wire, the ground appears to be just fine but when i get my tax return i will replace the cable just to be sure.
We checked all the fuseable links but they all seemed good.

I doubt it's the fuel pump but i really don't know since it wont even turn over lol.

It won't crank, so i can't answer those other 2 questions.

It didnt wanna start once before but it started working again. It didn't start doing this until after i found out the cracked windshield leaks and it sat with water for a few weeks before i found out. Could the condensation from the water have messed something up?

Back