• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust leak

You need a ratcheting box wrench for the some manifold fasteners, and possibly a grinder to get the downpipe loose from the manifold flange. It isn't that bad of a job--if nothing goes wrong, which usually happens. Flat rate would be about 3.3 hours, so figure five to six hours if you have some skill and only minor problems--that will account for age/rust on the parts.

just did the APN header on my 99 4.0 xj, took me about 4 hours or so. Had the typical crack too. All in all, it went really smoothly for me. some of the manifold bolts are a little tough to get to but not impossible with a short 9/16 box end. only real problem is now my jeep's so quiet i'm hearing all sorts of rattles and squeaks i couldnt hear before!

just did the APN header on my 99 4.0 xj, took me about 4 hours or so. Had the typical crack too. All in all, it went really smoothly for me. some of the manifold bolts are a little tough to get to but not impossible with a short 9/16 box end. only real problem is now my jeep's so quiet i'm hearing all sorts of rattles and squeaks i couldnt hear before!

Did you add the flex section described above? Those APN are tough, but I wouldn't care to chance it.

nope, didnt piece in any flexpipe. and my motor mounts look fine. seems to me the APN design is better than stock, less likely to crack. then again.....flexpipe would probably eliminate the chance of cracking welds. project for another day!

now you all got me thinking flexpipe.. hell what's another few bucks to the project.

anyone got a writeup? seems straight forward, but i'm having trouble visualizing where it goes. does it replace the compression joint betweek header and down pipe? does the down pipe get cut/small section eliminated and the flex gets welded onto the downpipe?

Where the downpipe makes a turn and runs across to the passengers side, then turns and attaches to the CAT--cut out a section where it runs parallel to the axle. Those flex tubes are available in different lengths.

Back