• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doing commander headlights on my 88

I keep wanting a commander.. then I google "commander problems" and read all the crap on edmunds and other sites.. and think twice..

You can get that with any car make/model you google, try XJ or Cherokee.

Take it from a XK owner, they are one hell of a Jeep even if they are IFS. Add the Hemi and you get a tow rig capable of 7400# and all weather full time 4wd that still gets 20 mpg on the highway.

Back on topic=

I wheeled with one up in MI, a completely stock one. I had like 3.5" of lift on 235s, and I swear that thing went a heck of a lot farther than I did. Now I want to put Commander headlights on mine, my headlights have holes in them and fill up with water when it rains haha

Are the turn signals built-in to the headlights or can you remove them? Seems that on eBay I keep seeing them for sale with the signals. Also, how would you go about using the turn signals on the front?

Justheadlights.jpg

commander.jpg

Yes the turn signals do come attached to headlight. I hacked off the turn signals and im using the high beams as my turn signals. Its allot of work, i chopped off allot metal and did allot of fiberglass work to take care of the gap between the headerpanel and the headlight.

Not sure I like the look, but the mod. work on the header looks awesome. Very nice!

It does look like a ton of work, I wish I was good at fiberglass work because I'd make those lights work and make some fender flares while I'm at it. I really want to put these lights on but I am doubting my patience and skills for this.
On another note, I wonder if perhaps 08-09 Liberty headlights might work better for me? They don't have the built-in turn signals, might be a little smaller too so I could fit some turn signals in somehow.

What metal did you have to cut out? That would be nice if I could just change header panels and I didn't have to actually modify the body.

looks awesome. on the blue xj the lights hang into the bumper area did you mod the lights so they don't hang so low?

Last edited:
Yes it is 97-01 header panel. You dont have to cut too much metal but you do have to remove the horn bracket. Even for me this was the first time i have ever had to cut metal on a vehicle. I even had take the heat gun to the back headlight on the passenger side, to clear the AC hoses.

I thought when you switch to a 97-01 front end you have to use 97-01 fenders.. is that not true?

They don't match perfectly, but with a little work they fit. The main problem is that the 97-01 header is more rounded than the early models, it's just something to live with.

hmm that looks really cool actually, now you need to find something to do with the tails to make them modern to match the fronts, how do the commander headlights mount? This could be something for me to mockup on mine to see how it goes with the glass

I have this mod on the list. I see a lot of these headlights go for pretty darn cheap. I'm keeping an eye out, and snagging a set soon

Some questions I have though. Were you able to mount them with full adjustablity? I am not sure how they mount, or how the beam adjusts on those. Also, if you chose to not do the fiberglass filling around the edges, how well do they actually line up with the curves of the header panel?

Yours turned out great! Nice work with the fiber glass to make it all smooth. I would see myself using body filler some how and sheet metal to smooth it. We'll see... Glad to see someone else actually is posting up on this swap! Keep up the good work!

Back