• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirt Bound Offroad Trailer - Build Log

Nothing new right now, I have some products that need to get shipped and doing my engine swap on Saturday. You should come help on sat and I will let you steal something off my jeep.

I'll be there.

I'll steal the new engine then make you buy it back. :scottm:

i'll be there sat!! long drive lol but worth it to help out a guy that helps out so many others!!

So project was on hold while my Jeep got a new engine.

I think I am going to go a offroad teardrop / roof tent hybrid trailer with the kitchen and eating area inside and sleeping upstairs when folded out. I will also be able to sleep on the ground if bad weather does not allow us to open the top.
It will be made out of wood with some steel tubing to make the walls strong.

5526755118_93b7bec901_b.jpg

5526756072_8176539f88_b.jpg

I'm really interested to see what you can pull off while maintaining a small footprint. I've always liked the idea of a super-small offroad caravan, as I'm pretty much the exact opposite of claustrophobic (I tend to sleep better in confined spaces).

What overall dimensions are you gunning for (ballpark)?

Well the trailer frame is 7 ft long, I figure the rear I can probaly get 1 - 1.5" more by angling the back out.

So it might be 8ft long and about 48" wide, height will be 48" tall when closed, but with the frame height of 22" the roof line will be around 6 ft.

So with SoCal Fest 2 weeks away it is time to get cracking. I finally have a few day to work on it as I am waiting on suppliers to get me stuff for my orders, so it is trailer time.

I got the wood for the sides and floor today and got the garage setup for a productive day tomorrow.

5698389526_c29456be26_b.jpg

5698389654_a74d11f964_b.jpg

I then put the design into cad to save time on the cutting of the wood, the top will fold up like a VW Vanagon.

5698001073_b1276220f6_b.jpg

Should have more photos tomorrow, I seem to work quick with wood so we will see.

it is 3/8 for the walls and 5/8 for the floor. I then have 1x2 wood "studs" and it will be insulated and have a thin veneer on the inside.

I am going to put some steel tubing on the side walls for additional support since the roof is not going to be attached to it.

Thanks, I am getting excited!

Went to HD tonight and bought two piano hinges one for the door and one for the roof, also got some indoor / outdoor carpet for the floor.

Little sketch on how I see the seal working on the pop top.

5714763579_4407414402_b.jpg

Back