• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Tech

Here is a pic of another axle that Clayton worked on himself. He just welds the hell out of it but he is an awesome welder and I am not. I do have some nickel rod and have been practicing on an old diff just to make myself a little more confident.

post-11-1082214393.jpg

And here is a pic of the passenger side completed on the above axle not mine.

post-11-1082214496.jpg

And here is a shot of my axle where I have just begun welding up the first part

IM003137.jpg

Also I think he asks $399 for the brackets but I had a 20% off coupon, plus I have purchased all the rest of his goodies over the past 5 years so it was an easy choice for me.

Shay

Last edited:
shayzj said:
Also I think he asks $399 for the brackets

that is what he quoted me for the brackets after i e-mailed him...

-Ranger

This is great TECH! And just in time. I'm currently narrowing a HPD44 from a '79 F250.

One question, how important is the groove in the spring bucket for the bottom of the coil spring? I'm planning to fab my own brackets and looking at that kit from Claytons I realived that I have no idea how to duplicate that. What have others done that have fabbed their own brackets?

And here is a shot of my axle where I have just begun welding up the first part

IM003137.jpg

Also I think he asks $399 for the brackets but I had a 20% off coupon, plus I have purchased all the rest of his goodies over the past 5 years so it was an easy choice for me.

Shay[/QUOTE]

That looks like a real nice start! One thing about Claytons brackets is that they mount the control arms right behind the axle tube. It looks like the upper mounts are raised also. I'm not sure if the RE brackets mount the Lower Control Arms that high. Still, for $400, I'll build my own brackets...like I did!! :)

AugFrontD44Update07.jpg

AugFrontD44Update08.jpg

AugFrontD44Update05.jpg

Jeff

$399? Seriously? And it has no provisions for swaybar mounts or a steering stabilizer mount? And you have to weld to the diff housing itself? Man, if I was buying brackets, I think I'd save myself $20 and get the more complete RE kit.

You have to cut most of it off for the spring perch and other mounts. Well with nothing to go buy I cut a little too much off and to feel safer I cut some 3in dia. pipe in half and welded it all back up to help support the area.

Shay

Jeepin Jason said:
$399? Seriously? And it has no provisions for swaybar mounts or a steering stabilizer mount? And you have to weld to the diff housing itself? Man, if I was buying brackets, I think I'd save myself $20 and get the more complete RE kit.

also, what about bump stops? with those coil mounts you have even less bump stop than stock??

shayzj said:
You have to cut most of it off for the spring perch and other mounts. Well with nothing to go buy I cut a little too much off and to feel safer I cut some 3in dia. pipe in half and welded it all back up to help support the area.

Shay

Interesting. On the waggy 44 I'm messing with, the brackets on that side were just welded directly to the diff housing (not by me though).

Yea you are right no bumpstops, no swaybar mounts ( I will make some), no steering stabilizer mount( I don't run one anyway) It will all work out.

I would have welded to the perch if I had to but that is not how he designed the kit and I went by what Clayton said so we will just have to wait and see how it works out. All I know is that I have seen two of these kits on waggy 44's and both have been beat on VERY hard so I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Shay

so Clayton recommended cutting off that section of the diff housing? Assuming there's enough tube left in the housing end to be strong enough, that would certainly simplify things a LOT when putting the brackets on on that side.

BillR said:
You forgot LP Andrew... :wave:

Dang. :laugh:

Still like doing a waggy axle I guess. :wierd:

hjeepxj said:
Dang. :laugh:

Still like doing a waggy axle I guess. :wierd:
Yeah...
I really don't think a LP axle's a huge deal with manual hubs. You're only using the front axle when wheeling, so freeway vibes are a non-issue.
I'm not sure how much of an "upgrade" a LP 44 is from a HP30 though.

IIRC using an early bronco 44 will place the diff quite a few inches closer to center as well...

Exhaust issues I think...

BillR said:
I'm not sure how much of an "upgrade" a LP 44 is from a HP30 though.

-lockout hubs
-serviceable hub bearings
-Bigger ball joints
-Stronger axle housing
-larger axleshafts

While you may not consider that an "upgrade" of any sort, i do :)

While I have heard speculation that HP30 & LP44 gearsets are essentially the same strength, i'm not smart enough to make any claims.

-jm

Back