• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Tech

So far the rear locker has failed. It sucks because there is no other locker available what so ever for the Rubicon Dana 44. I have to buy a new factory Mopar locker and hope it does not fail again. The electric magnet went weak and does not engage the locker all the way anymore. So you end up with an open diff all the time. I gues it could be worse and been something that left me stuck on the trail.

Is that magnet an easily serviceable item? Seems kinda lame to have to replace the entire differential and redo the gear pattern setup.

So far the rear locker has failed. It sucks because there is no other locker available what so ever for the Rubicon Dana 44. I have to buy a new factory Mopar locker and hope it does not fail again. The electric magnet went weak and does not engage the locker all the way anymore. So you end up with an open diff all the time. I gues it could be worse and been something that left me stuck on the trail.

That's the first failure like that I have heard of; it maybe a fluke? I've seen a couple of front housings bend or break, though.

If I were going to start from scratch today, it would be on JK axles.

Is that magnet an easily serviceable item? Seems kinda lame to have to replace the entire differential and redo the gear pattern setup.

No you can't change the magnet. Or at least I can not get just the part. I have tried dealers, and the JK forum but no luck. Tell me about it, I hate that I have to swap the whole carrier, just to fix an issue with the magnet.

That's the first failure like that I have heard of; it maybe a fluke? I've seen a couple of front housings bend or break, though.

If I were going to start from scratch today, it would be on JK axles.

I have heard of the same problem before with a few guys on the JK forum but they are under warantee and get the diff swapped for free. I heard the same thing about the bending so that is why I trussed the diffs. All and all I am still very happy with the swap and I am still ahead of the game for a set of Dana 44s with lockers and 5.13s. I built mine from stock to this so I went right to 17" wheels with 5 on 5.

While we are on the JK44, anyone heard of Mopar releasing the JK44 w/ TJ mounts. I read a caption in a Magazine that made mention of it.

Have not heard of that from Mopar, but for those born with a silver spoon Dynatrac just released their Pro-Rock and Trail Ready JK Dana 44's. Not on the website yet that I can tell, but they're already advertising it in the magazines. I'm sure others (and hopefully less expensive) will follow suit.

While we are on the JK44, anyone heard of Mopar releasing the JK44 w/ TJ mounts. I read a caption in a Magazine that made mention of it.

I remember reading something about that but for the life of me can't remember where.

Mopar was supposed to (has?) release a JK specific Dana 60 with a 5 on 5.5" wheel stud pattern. Also there is a Mopar kit to convert the front to 5 on 5.5". Whether these things have turned into vapour products with the current economic environment I don't know.

Wow, a blast from the past thread.

Hey squirrel I know how to get ahold of the part. your talking about the mushroom thingy right?
FOR ALL:
on a JK remove the carrier before you remove the mushroom headed switch. otherwise it is expensive to fix.

A buddy of mine did this to his gf's JK with less than 2000 miles on it. I think its had more time on jack stands than on wheels at this point. He had some issues to say the least during the lift and mods that went into it.

Hey squirrel I know how to get ahold of the part. your talking about the mushroom thingy right?
FOR ALL:
on a JK remove the carrier before you remove the mushroom headed switch. otherwise it is expensive to fix.

A buddy of mine did this to his gf's JK with less than 2000 miles on it. I think its had more time on jack stands than on wheels at this point. He had some issues to say the least during the lift and mods that went into it.

No that part is only for the indicator light. Mine had the electric magnet go weak and no longer will engage the locker. The part you are talking about if often not put in correctly after a regear, but will not affect the locker if it is taken out completely and plugged like mine is. Mine worked perfect for a few months of abuse before it just stopped working.

Back