• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily Driver picked up, mazdaspeed6

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
"Why in the hell don't more people talk about these cars?"

Sold my xj, my ls1 trans am has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I decided to ditch it. I have been researching/driving/reading cars on my freetime and this is what Iv'e learned about a TON of cars. haha

My goal for my daily driver was a fun, reliable, cheap to fix, snow ready, but comfy and "grown up"(room for friends/stuff to carry)

I sold cars for 3 years, in these 3 years I was able to work my way up to selling infiniti's. Working at a highline dealer I was exposed to some very nice vehicles. You could say I have high expectations for my car.

I test drove cars for a healthy 3-4 months before pulling the trigger on saturday. I read tons of car reviews, consumer reports and
I started with looking at the honda civic si's, too many rpm's to keep the car happy for my taste. The steering was the best since my miata/ but man, that motor needs to be wrapped up for even daily driving

This led me to the sentra se-r, the sentra costs less than the civic and there is a good reason for it. The sentra's greatest asset is its motor, plenty of tq's for a daily 4cyl. decent chasis, however the ground affects/wheels scream highschool kid. The interior and sound system is also pretty goddy and comes off cheap.

The mini cooper-S, best handling car/just ask inforaride :)
The matinence costs on these cars is just too much, the newer turbo model was honestly my favortie car. But there wasn't enough bang for the buck. I am looking at cars for daily driving, where would I put my junk?
I debated a new miata, ran in to the same road block as the mini with room and plus i am tired of playing RWD bandit in the snow:firedevil
Next, the evo-sti. Best performance in a straightline/ in the turns and for sure in the dirt :) This car was top in polar opposites, the performance was the best but the comfort-ride quality and cab noise was also the worst.The real problem was everything I drove had been modified, which tells me it's already been beat to all hell.

My favorite chassis was in the gti, the thing was just soo easy to toss around. The interior was simply the best out of all the cars I checked out. The dang DSG tranny was in ALL the models I drove and the reliability nightmares that people have shared with me really killed it for me as well.

Audi, acura was on the list/ however finding a standard tranny was a pain. Again the german tag nade me bervous about long term cost to ownership and the acura was just outdated compared to everything else I came across.

Then, I came accross the mazdaspeed6. I have never seen one of these revieiwed/ on a scca track or even noticed on the streets.
Let me start by saying only 5k were produced in 06 and 5k in 07. These cars were produced in Japan instead of Michagan(nicer/tighter build quality) Haven driven a normal mazda6 before, I thought great here is going to be a fullsize sedan with a turbo. Great in a straight line, but a boat in the twisties.
Turns out the boys at mazda stiffened the chassis(the rear seats folding down goes away as a part of this to show how serious they were about this car), added a much better suspension, threw on some 18" wheels.
The body roll is minimal for a car of this size, the mazda people mated a 6-speed tranny to a 2.3 turbo varient of their popular motor. 276 hp 280 tq's to all 4 tires....Im down.
The outside gives subtle ques to the performance instilled with the car(bubbley hood, dual exhaust, great ground affects, lower stance) But it doesn't scream highschool punk, more business in the front/party in the rear.
Inside I was pretty impressed the road noise is better than expected for 18's, and the bose sound system is on point. The seats are nicely bolstered and the touch points in the car feel of better than most jap cars quality. Really, why dont't poeple love these things?
Japanese-pocket rocket performance and reliability with european habbits.

:music:
photo.jpg

Shameful.......... that's just downright un-American.

Those are manufactured in Hiroshima and Hofu, Japan.

Phooey. :moon:

Disgusted with Michigan manufacturing standards huh? Feel import is the only way to get quality? Meh. Take a look at anything General Motor's Australian sister corporation Holden makes. Pontiac '04-'06 GTO, G8/GTP, Caddy CTS, CTS-V, CTX and the latest versions of the Chevy Caprice '08 to present. Exceptional build quality.

Just teasin' ya brutha....... just doing my part to keep the fires stirred.......... :D

Last edited:
I could have gone to denver to save some money on the car, but I purchased in springs to support my local economy.

It's hard to define a new american car these days my friend. Would you rather own a Ford assembled in Michocan, or a Toyota put together in Kentucky?

One of my duties at work is road testing cars. The guys I work for own Hyundai, Mazda, Volvo, VW, and Audi dealerships, so I get to play with all of those.
I suppose its a little late to say much since you already bought it, but a Speed6 be towards the bottom of the list for me. I can see why you like it though, its a fun car to drive.

Would you rather own a Ford assembled in Michocan, or a Toyota put together in Kentucky?

Neither and never. Not a Ford guy (never will be), definitely not a Toyota guy. :thumbup:

dont talk about them because you're on a jeep forum... duh

check on rx8club.com alot of talk prior to and when they first came out. along with the speed3

ya, im pretty familiar with the car forums out there/ there are mazdaspeed specific forums out there.

This was for the folks that I know would care on THESE forums, lol thanks though

hey yella isnt dodge owned by some french folks? and cheby by obama?
lol, more than one reason ima ford fan. O and pffff @ the new 5.0/ that thing handles just as well as a new m3. Fords tough to compete with these days

hey yella isnt dodge owned by some french folks? and cheby by obama?
lol, more than one reason ima ford fan. O and pffff @ the new 5.0/ that thing handles just as well as a new m3. Fords tough to compete with these days

Chevy is owned by Government Motors.

I went and test drove the new 6.7 the other day... I'm a die hard 7.3 guy, and damn I was impressed lol. I went in and talked with the sales guy, asking about all the new bells and whistles. Wanted to test drive a F350 cc lb, but they only had cc sb on the lot, so we took the F450 out for a spin. Crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4x4, with a GVWR of 13,050lbs, and it handled more like a mid-size SUV. I REALLLLY want one... but I want to wait till its had plenty of road time to work out the kinks, being a brand new engine and all. And on that note... all of the comparisons done between the 2011 Ford trucks and the other two, aren't taking into account that the Ford is using a BRAND NEW engine while the other two are using engines that have been out and refined for years.

Chevy is owned by Government Motors.

It wouldn't be if over the years the sheeple of America hadn't bought so many jap crap cars........

:D

Last edited:
Hey, America's gotta compete. Toyota and Honda owned the states for the last few years. Damn glad to see the fiesta from ford and the cruz from gm. Add in the pony war were having and hopefully by the time the economy starts to go move on to the expansion cycle people can buy American manufactures again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU55oYH3Ubc

Hey, America's gotta compete. Toyota and Honda owned the states for the last few years.

Or how 'bout we just not accept their product into the U.S. making it much easier for folks to decide to buy American.......... :gag:

mason, try actually DRIVING the cars, bet youd find that mazdaspeed would prolly make a faster lap time than the audis, (in the same class, so no, not the R8)
the volvos if i remember right are now owned by a jap company
the VW seem to be only getting better in the SUV world
and who cares about hyundai's their new 'sport tuner' is questionable...

I wouldn't be if over the years the sheeple of America hadn't bought so many jap crap cars........

Ford didn't need a bailout :dunno:

Or how 'bout we just not accept their product into the U.S. making it much easier for folks to decide to buy American.......... :gag:

This!

mason, try actually DRIVING the cars, bet youd find that mazdaspeed would prolly make a faster lap time than the audis, (in the same class, so no, not the R8)
the volvos if i remember right are now owned by a jap company
the VW seem to be only getting better in the SUV world
and who cares about hyundai's their new 'sport tuner' is questionable...

Dude... my job IS to drive the cars. I work 10-11hrs a day, the inspections only take 20-30min, I do about 10 cars a day, and I don't take breaks. Most of my day is driving these things.
Yeah, the speeds would do a faster lap time than the others in the class... I took a speed3 out last week and DAMN they're quick. But he ain't doin laps, he's looking for a good DD.
Volvos... never cared enough to pay attention lol.
VW makes some pretty cool cars, but their SUVs are NOT tech-friendly whatsoever.
Agree with the Hyundais. They're no fun.

wo why woulda a mazdaspeed6 be at bottom of list?
its better in almost all contexts than anything else in its class....

wo why woulda a mazdaspeed6 be at bottom of list?
its better in almost all contexts than anything else in its class....

Well...
"My goal for my daily driver was a fun, reliable, cheap to fix, snow ready, but comfy and "grown up"(room for friends/stuff to carry"

Fun - yeah, its fun, but that doesn't mean the others aren't.
Reliable - seen more Mazdas in the shop than anything else (for repairs... the kraut-kars win the numbers for service).
Cheap to fix - don't know what the costs are, but I don't imagine that a specialized car produced in fairly low numbers will be very cheap on parts.
Snow ready - It sits less than 5" off the ground. Personal opinion, I prefer to have a decent amount of ground clearance when in snow. All the traction in the world won't help if you can't get out of your driveway.
Comfy - I feel cramped in all the Mazdas I've been in, other than the SUVs. But then again I'm used to my truck, so I'm kinda biased.

Ya I was thinking the same thing / what cars are you talking about. And y/ to each their own- I am curious

I've kept my opinion out of this until now , a couple years ago I was looking
for a dependable long term eco friendly / luxury car . Something to fit my
older taste , I'm not really into tuners or muscle cars anymore but I didn't want a mini van and I sure as hell wasn't falling for the hype on a Lexus or
a Merc . I'd rather keep my money in my pocket .

Nock it all you want but I went with Saturn , being a die hard Saturn fan when
they came out in the 90's , I knew they were starting to get into the Luxury
market in 2004 , I test drove a new Aura XR and thats all it took .
Presto....
DSC00304.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

290 HP , six speed paddle shift and all the bells and whistles of a Caddy .

Back