• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 pattern check

You are very close or right on. I would try to move it a hair deeper like .001-.002. Just for sh!ts and giggles and compare it to what you have now.

Spray the guts down with brake cleaner and get rid of the excess marking compound.
got none left, i'll have to try again in the morning.

7607562502_05fb6b8af8_b.jpg

7607561198_f7a35d066d_b.jpg

You are very close or right on. I would try to move it a hair deeper like .001-.002. Just for sh!ts and giggles and compare it to what you have now.
thanks, i'll see if i can shuffle some shims around and try that tomorrow

i cleaned those spots and reapplied it for the last pics. what am i doing wrong?
the stuff is so thick it's hard to get coverage without putting a bit on there with that little acid brush

When I was learning this, someone suggested to me, to add some gear oil to the compound. I think I do half and half, and apply thinly as possible but still cover the whole gear face. give that a shot.

i'm holding the thing as tight as i can while still being able to turn it.
the ring gear has this weird black oxide finish, it's not shiny like others so it's being a bitch when it comes to the pattern.

wow....lots of marking compound.

I mix it with a slight dab of gear oil and use about 1/20th the amount you have been using.

Are you turning the yolk to get the pattern or are you turning the ring gear?

When I was learning this, someone suggested to me, to add some gear oil to the compound. I think I do half and half, and apply thinly as possible but still cover the whole gear face. give that a shot.
hmm i can try that

wow....lots of marking compound.

I mix it with a slight dab of gear oil and use about 1/20th the amount you have been using.

Are you turning the yolk to get the pattern or are you turning the ring gear?
yea this stuff sucks. what do you apply it with, the acid brush that comes in the install kit? i'll try the oil in the morning.
i tried turning both, but ended up turning the pinion while holding the ring gear pretty tight. seemed to be the best pattern i got vs holding the pinion and turning the gear. the rag didnt seem to hold it as tight as my hand could

i cleaned those spots and reapplied it for the last pics. what am i doing wrong?
the stuff is so thick it's hard to get coverage without putting a bit on there with that little acid brush

If you can find someone to help you, you can have someone wedge something against the ring gear as you spin the yoke to help create more resistance. I think the actual prefered torque on the yoke to turn the pinion when checking contact is 40-50ft lbs. It's hard to get that when it's on a bench but I've used a pry bar against the ring gear or a wooden block.

yea this stuff sucks. what do you apply it with, the acid brush that comes in the install kit? i'll try the oil in the morning.
i tried turning both, but ended up turning the pinion while holding the ring gear pretty tight. seemed to be the best pattern i got vs holding the pinion and turning the gear. the rag didnt seem to hold it as tight as my hand could

yup. the 'lil brush

I was shown to turn the ring gear only to get the pattern

Thin the marking compound with gear oil. Add .001-.002 to pinion depth, you are getting closer (and lucky it's a D44 where you don't have to pull the pinion bearing). I'd go .002. You need to use a 3-4 ft pry bar on the ring gear and rotate the pinion both ways to get a contact pattern on the drive and coast side of the teeth.

ok i added .002 to the pinion depth.
i thinned the compound with oil
i cleaned the ring and pinion entirely
i used a rag to hold the pinion and turned the ring gear with a pry bar
still looks crappy lol
sorry guys, i'm trying here.
it looks fairly centered on the tooth but the face of the pinion gear is leaving a crisp line in the pattern by the flank of the ring gear. is this something to be concerned about? all the good patterns i've seen while studying this are more oval shaped.
7610723914_12fc1a026d_b.jpg

7610721760_d0dfc56224_b.jpg

Still at .007 backlash? For an almost perfect setup. Pull .001 out of the pinion and tighten the backlash up .001-.002. Backlash is usually .005-.010 for 44's, depending on gear vendor.

Your probably not using setup carrier bearings.

What you have now is acceptable. The pattern is centered on the face (most important) of the tooth but not heel to toe (not great but works).

Last edited:
Back