• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cowl intake vs snorkel

only downside is that this mod is not smog legal and if you get inspected, will fail for the modifications. a safari snorkel is cali-legal. Maybe you could remove and re-install?

[FONT=&quot]I had my semi-annual inspection (California) a couple of months ago and the tech didn't say a word about the cowl intake. With everything painted black and a good coat of dust, it does not stand out.

I was worried about the smog problem so I rebuilt the air box so that there is a 3" PVC male fitting in the rear for the cowl and another, in the front, in the stock air intake hole. The front intake has a removable 3" PVC cap that will also fit the rear, cowl intake.
If, for smog reasons, I need to go back to stock, it can be reversed in about two minutes.
Remove the flex tube and remove the front cap and place the cap on the rear (cowl) inlet, restoring the stock system.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I had my semi-annual inspection (California) a couple of months ago and the tech didn't say a word about the cowl intake. With everything painted black and a good coat of dust, it does not stand out.

I was worried about the smog problem so I rebuilt the air box so that there is a 3" PVC male fitting in the rear for the cowl and another, in the front, in the stock air intake hole. The front intake has a removable 3" PVC cap that will also fit the rear, cowl intake.
If, for smog reasons, I need to go back to stock, it can be reversed in about two minutes.
Remove the flex tube and remove the front cap and place the cap on the rear (cowl) inlet, restoring the stock system.[/FONT]

Now that's a smart idea. I may have to copy that one. :D

I like the snorkels....that come out of the cowls. :)

DSCF6630.jpg

Mine's designed to be removable for winter.

Um... Dude, you gotta let me know how you did that! I was about to comment on going the route of the old school AMGEN Humvee and see if anyone had done it. Glad I read to the end of this thread.. Can you do a write up on that? That was exactly what I was looking for. Parts needed, approximate measurements. That is absolutely the look I was going for! Ha! The reason I ask all the materials is I notice that would make the intake tube go across or near a hot engine and wondering how you keep the air charge cool... Sweet rig.. I want one! LOL

Um... Dude, you gotta let me know how you did that! I was about to comment on going the route of the old school AMGEN Humvee and see if anyone had done it. Glad I read to the end of this thread.. Can you do a write up on that? That was exactly what I was looking for. Parts needed, approximate measurements. That is absolutely the look I was going for! Ha! The reason I ask all the materials is I notice that would make the intake tube go across or near a hot engine and wondering how you keep the air charge cool... Sweet rig.. I want one! LOL

I do have a write-up on it.

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f8/snorkel-opinions-needed-pix-5009/

Right now it has that flex hose from home depot but I'm swapping it out for rubber flex hose that's gonna be wrapped in heat shield tape. I used exhaust wrap on it originally cuz that's all I had laying around. You're gonna have to find a different cap cuz those are cereal bowls and I only have one left (spare). Never know when that glass bowl will snap on a tree impact lol.

X2 That there's mighty purty!

I do have a write-up on it.

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f8/snorkel-opinions-needed-pix-5009/

Right now it has that flex hose from home depot but I'm swapping it out for rubber flex hose that's gonna be wrapped in heat shield tape. I used exhaust wrap on it originally cuz that's all I had laying around. You're gonna have to find a different cap cuz those are cereal bowls and I only have one left (spare). Never know when that glass bowl will snap on a tree impact lol.

thats a awesome idea. i was gona have a pipe that went over the engine while in the cowl though instead of in hte engine bay.

thats a awesome idea. i was gona have a pipe that went over the engine while in the cowl though instead of in hte engine bay.

That was my plan but......FAIL. The wiper motor blocks access on the driver's side. i wanted the snorkel on that side but it just wouldn't fit so I had to go across the engine bay into the passenger side of the cowl. My hose is removable at the stock air box so I can just disconnect it and move it out of my way if I do engine work.

ooo thanks for the input.

when you guys did the cowl intake and got rid of the stock airbox what did you do with all the vacume lines?

when you guys did the cowl intake and got rid of the stock airbox what did you do with all the vacume lines?
Those two vacuum line connectors at the top of the airbox are actually removable just drill two holes in the pipe section of the intake and glue the vacuum connector in

Back