• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Considering move from San Jose, CA to Seattle, WA

the_weirdo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Serious part: I'm seriously considering a move from San Jose, CA to the Seattle, WA area due to a job change in the next month or two. I'd be moving with my family (wife and 2 young kids). The weather is not an issue. What is Washington like? Are there good wheeling areas around the Seattle area? I'd be moving to the Seattle/Redmond area.

Not-so-serious part: I have met TORX, Goblazers_6, and dellstopjeep at last year's Sierra fest near Lake Tahoe, CA. They showed up with only 104 cold beers and a tent after a 12 hour trip to come wheel with us which seemed really cool to me. Dellstopjeep introduced me to the old-school rap station on Sirius radio which is a great station. Is the rest of Washington that cool, or are they the only 3 in the whole state? San Jose is great and I don't want to move into a crummy area if I can help it.

Please provide information. This is a life-changing decision for me and I will base it 60% on what NAXJA tells me, 60% on what I feel like doing, and the other 60% on the flip of a coin. I need to know soon, there's going to be a decision due in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
the_weirdo

Was born and raised in San Jose , loved it. Now live near Portland with my wife and young son and love it even more . Have some friends and family up near Seattle , the people I've meat are very nice but there are jerks everywhere I guess . As for spots you have a plethora of choices from the coast to high mountains with snow . Always raining just means lots of mud . Hope to see you up here in the northwest soon . Hope this helped .

I grew up in San Jose, I would never go back. Moved here in 1990 and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

One other question: I daily drive my XJ on 33's. Are there any crazy-restrictive laws against lift height, etc.

One other question: I daily drive my XJ on 33's. Are there any crazy-restrictive laws against lift height, etc.

My DD is a 98, 6.5 lift , on 35's . I've only been pulled over once for not having mud flaps , gave me a warning and I was on my way . That was four years ago .

Washington is a great place to live. To answer a few questions;

A: The weather is a non-issue? You sure?

ba6ehe9u.jpg

2: There are several places nearby to wheel.

D: Almost everyone in Washington is cool. Oregon, not so much.

E: I would recommend running mudflaps, other than that you should be fine.

F: I will help you move.

7: Let's go wheeling!

Last edited:
Not-so-serious part: I have met TORX, Goblazers_6, and dellstopjeep at last year's Sierra fest near Lake Tahoe, CA. They showed up with only 104 cold beers and a tent after a 12 hour trip to come wheel with us which seemed really cool to me. Dellstopjeep introduced me to the old-school rap station on Sirius radio which is a great station. Is the rest of Washington that cool, or are they the only 3 in the whole state?

I would say that there are other cool kids in the state but I would say these guys are the extremely cool kids. Everyone besides me wants to be them. :cool:

this makes me sad.
however, seattle is a great looking city. i have family near there in duvall & federal way.
i don't think the sun ever shines there though, at least it has not every time we were up there.
lots of water, rivers, & lakes. very scenic.
housing is expensive compared to oregon, but cheap compared to san jose.
it rains a lot. and then it rains some more. it never ends. you will need a boat.

Update: I have received an offer (its a good one) and need to make a decision in a week or so. With every passing day it is more likely that I am heading up to Washington. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Money talks. Use that money and buy everyone in your family a poncho.

Just make sure you keep posting in the Sierra Chapter after your move like I do...

By the way, don't fear the move. As long as you are positive and adventurous, you can make this into a great opportunity. On a related note, I debated the job south because I feared the high desert. As it turned out, we found much to like and we came from the best spot in Cali (Rocklin), next to San Jose. Best wishes with your decision.

Last edited:
things to ponder:

1) the fun factory is located in san jose, not seattle, although in 4 years or so it will be moved to cottage grove, or.

2) there are more taco bells in san jose. seattle? not so much. (better fish up there though)

3) hollister hills. sierrafest. KOH. the con. slickrock. enough said.

4) you will need to sell your goodyears & install boggers to deal with the onslaught of mud.

5) i think they may have better coffee up there than we do.

6) you will need to carry spare wiper blades, not axle shafts.

things to ponder:

4) you will need to sell your goodyears & install boggers to deal with the onslaught of mud.

5) i think they may have better coffee up there than we do.

6) you will need to carry spare wiper blades, not axle shafts.

4. Not true. We use paddle tires

5. Not true Seattle's best sucks!

6. Plenty of wiper blades and axles shafts because paddle ties are hell on them.

Being in the Military I've been to all four corners of the USA and then some.

I really really like the Pacific Northwest. Seattle and the surrounding areas are awesome. Sure, it rains alot, but when it isn't raining its frigging beautiful out here.

There is wheeling of every type 2 hours from Seattle itself. From dusty hillclimbs, to rock crawling, to snow wheeling, to sand dunes, to nasty mud we have it all.

There are lots of "grassroots" 4x4 competitions in the area to full on racing/rock crawls in the area.

The rubicon is a 16 hour drive from seattle. Johnson valley is a 21 hour drive if you are hardcore and have multiple drivers.

The coffee is great, they have burrito trucks everwhere. I go to the city itself for the Seahawks games and I always have a great time, never any trouble. It's the cleanest city I've been to.

Outdoor recreation a plenty; hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, wheeling..... it's awesome up here.

Oh, buy rain gear.

Back