• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compare international Health care

Sounds like you're volunteering to be the first to have half your paycheck taken away so someone who doesn't WANT to work can have health insurance....

So you're on that bandwagon with Al Gore inventing the internets? I think Tim Berners-Lee might have some bones to pick with you....

I think you misread my statement, I said nothing about Al Gore, I said DOD... which is a mistake since it was developed for Defense Advance Research Project Agency

But really, I'd love to go back out and survive on my own. SERE training is fun....

The only thing close to that that I know of is 1 month backpacking the John Muir trail, I still needed to stop for food a few times.

I hear where your coming from concerning those that won't pay taxes and take advantage of the system. Thing is I believe way more people pay taxes than don't.

I don't think some insurance company should be making huge profits while their customers are denied coverage because the are over their "lifetime limit" on coverage. I think that health insurance is like a tax except it's not to society, it's to pay for some dudes Bentley.

Now lets start talking about fluoride in tap water if we want to talk about socializm...:gag:

Last edited:
I see it slightly differently - thank the World Wide Web Consortium and TB-L - DARPANET would never have gone public...but anyways....the Al Gore reference was a joke.

Only 50% of the eligible taxpayers in the US actually pay taxes. 1-3% of the population pays in something like 37% (or maybe more) of taxes. I just think that unless some serious tax reform is done first, we won't have fair government service programs.

Also...again...the problem with medical insurance (expense) in this country is the fact that doctors are paying out the ass for malpractice insurance....let's start there if we want to fix healthcare....

Fluoride in tap water huh? Conspiracy theory? :D

I see it slightly differently - thank the World Wide Web Consortium and TB-L - DARPANET would never have gone public...but anyways....the Al Gore reference was a joke.

Only 50% of the eligible taxpayers in the US actually pay taxes. 1-3% of the population pays in something like 37% (or maybe more) of taxes. I just think that unless some serious tax reform is done first, we won't have fair government service programs.

Also...again...the problem with medical insurance (expense) in this country is the fact that doctors are paying out the ass for malpractice insurance....let's start there if we want to fix healthcare....

Fluoride in tap water huh? Conspiracy theory? :D

Do you have sources for the tax thing? I'd be interested to read up on that.

To be honest I find it hard to believe that 50% pay taxes where as here in Canada EVERYONE pays taxes. Difference is anyone making under a set limit(different in every province) gets all their money back at the end of the fiscal year.

Do you have sources for the tax thing? I'd be interested to read up on that.

To be honest I find it hard to believe that 50% pay taxes where as here in Canada EVERYONE pays taxes. Difference is anyone making under a set limit(different in every province) gets all their money back at the end of the fiscal year.

That is what he means. About half the US got all or most of their taxes back in April. Hell, I got almost all of mine back.

You guys get returns on the interest you pay into your mortgage aswell though don't you?

Here you only get all your money back if your under the income minimum for taxation which is pretty low. You will get money back though if you get taxed more then you should have been aka doing over time you get paid time and a half well if you make 10$/hour at time and a half you will be taxed as if you make 15$ per hour but you dont so that money you get back.

You also get money back for a bunch of little things like a small portion of rent, car expenses such as gas and things like supporting your children.

part of what is wrong with the income tax system is that it is so complicated. It needs to be dumbed down to where your 4th grade child could do your taxes for you.

You're welcome. I withhold at M-0, pay quarterly estimated taxes and only get a minimal refund. My take home is about 75% before taking out TSP.

Thanks, however to be fair, I fell in the bracket I did because I only had 9months worth of salary on last yeas worth of W2. I won't get as much back this year.

I think that the only thing keeping me afloat is BAH is not taxed.
Yeah, that and BAS. When I retired, man did taxes kill me.

I think we need tax reform before we reform health care. Maybe Obama would have more support if the tax code was thrown out and they actually made taxes fair to all.

....that is exactly what I've been trying to say this whole time....

How are you guys taking that kind of a beating with your taxes? My wife and I both claim 0, and we still get almost 2K every year. I'm a SSG and she is a full time RN.

Sorry I know I went way off topic but it just makes sense to me. Who does your taxes?

How are you guys taking that kind of a beating with your taxes? My wife and I both claim 0, and we still get almost 2K every year. I'm a SSG and she is a full time RN.

Sorry I know I went way off topic but it just makes sense to me. Who does your taxes?

In my case, it's not a matter of who does my taxes. And it's not about how much I get back. It's about what I pay. I was sheltered from this to a certain degree when I was in the military because a good portion of my paycheck was non-taxable (BAS, BAH).

After retiring and getting another job, the tax hit on my salary hurt. I'm just sick of paying out the nose to federal and state, not to mention that most of us get taxed again on everything purchased in state. I support reasonable taxation for the states, but not so much for the federal government. This country ran fine for many years without individual income tax. But once politicians get used to big money for their pork, they never want to give it up.

By the way, you might want to adjust your withholding so the government doesn't get to use your 2K interest free.

Here we have income tax and sales tax in every province.

Sales tax includes 7% to Federal government
and w/e the province decides for the provincial government, some are 7% some are 0%

Income tax varies by province but they are more or less the same. If you'd like to see what you get taxed at to pay for all the social programs we have here in Canada take a look at this link.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Back