• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

College!

It seems like everybody has to have something on the side to pay the bills anymore.

Its funny that the books about starting your own business always talk about having something on the side to make a few bucks to keep you going while you start up your business. It turns out that a significant portion of the businesses end up being that side gig and the original plan gets sidetracked.

Justin, you've got to forget about your family's expectations and do for you. Yes, it sucks being a student, but I feel that it'll be worth it in the long run. Stick it out. I can sympathize with the feelings of being overwhelmed with everything.

I just graduated last December, at 35, and it only took 6 years. Between school, working to pay mortgage/bills and two internships, I had little to no time for anything else. I've not even been skiing (large part of why I moved here) one time in the last 3 years. Once you get into the upper level courses in your major, things get more interesting. They get harder as well, but the generally smaller class sizes get you more face time with your professors. Take advantage of them. Don't worry about 'official channels' for getting assistance. Go visit your profs. during their office hours; I found it to be a life saver.

Engineering is a field where your degree makes all the difference in the world. It just depends on your aspirations. If that's what you want to do, than you need to stick it out in school. There are other things that I'd rather be doing for a living, but I have no regrets about going to school and changing directions.

Justin not sure how old you are but most likely still under 21 , Maybe just cut your school load down just a little so your not so overloaded ,you have a lot of years ahead of you to get the benifits out of your efforts

Thanks for all the comments guys! I instantly felt better once I started and ended all that typing. And Joe, thanks for adding a little humor to the mix. If it wasn't for the middle east right now I would probably be in the Service. But I am in no mood to go out and fight other peoples battles. If something happens and we get into it with a country such China, Russia, or Korea I will join! :us: FOREVER!

Thanks for all the comments guys! I instantly felt better once I started and ended all that typing. And Joe, thanks for adding a little humor to the mix. If it wasn't for the middle east right now I would probably be in the Service. But I am in no mood to go out and fight other peoples battles. If something happens and we get into it with a country such China, Russia, or Korea I will join! :us: FOREVER!

You know that the service is a great career choice , i spent 22 years in the army and navyand altho am a little screwed up due to agent orange in nam i have a good retirement also retired as a electrician with the ibew so i get a decent chunk of change and pay tax for only 38 000 the rest is va dis so is tax free ' considering i have never planed any thing in my life for more than i2 weeks in advance i am fortunant

Dude stick it out a Bachelors Degree will take you so many more places. I have two Bachelors and I work as a software developer making good money, I have never been without a job even in the bad times, including now. I have always made more money going to the next job. I have learned many things from college and jobs. One thing I would do is transfer from Front Range and go to DU, CU, Regis or even Metro State. These are much better colleges, I know I am in Texas but was born and raised for most of my life in Denver, even my second degree I got from the Colorado Institute of Art. Keep going, if you can get full time status and go to school do it, I did it when I went to the Art Institute, worked full time for Merrill Lynch and went to school at night 5 days a week. YOU CAN DO IT

Dude stick it out a Bachelors Degree will take you so many more places. I have two Bachelors and I work as a software developer making good money, I have never been without a job even in the bad times, including now. I have always made more money going to the next job. I have learned many things from college and jobs. One thing I would do is transfer from Front Range and go to DU, CU, Regis or even Metro State. These are much better colleges, I know I am in Texas but was born and raised for most of my life in Denver, even my second degree I got from the Colorado Institute of Art. Keep going, if you can get full time status and go to school do it, I did it when I went to the Art Institute, worked full time for Merrill Lynch and went to school at night 5 days a week. YOU CAN DO IT

I am staying at front range until I finish all my general classes to save money. The 1500-2000 a semester there is a lot better than 6000 at CU Denver or Metro. Plus it is only 5 minutes away from my house. Once I am ready for my degree type classes I am going to transfer up to CU Boulder to finish of the degree.

My first semester at university was the same as yours...academic probation C's, D's and W's.

I tried Community College, got my Associates in Criminal Justice, took three years, and worked at McDonald's the whole time.

Went back to University of Wyoming, and got my bachelor's in business, in four more years. Well before Tommy Boy, I was making fun of myself by saying that a lot of people went to college for seven years...It's just that they're doctors. The whole time, I kept my schedule low (12-15 hrs), and worked at McD's. Not exactly a challenging job, but in management, I had a lot of flexibility with hours, spent a lot less on groceries, and it was a target rich environment.:smootch:

I think you can get a lot more from an education than just grades. Stick with the internship, volunteer for more challenging duties, show up early, stay late...all the things that will catch they eye of those people that matter. Like Old_Man said, often the degree is a minimum requirement, a foot in the door. Some companies won't look at you without one. Am I using mine on a daily basis? Not hardly, but I have it, and there are times when I can relate "real life" to my education.

Grinding it out (coincidentally Ray Kroc's book) would be my suggestion. Slow your pace, and don't start to hate your schooling. Yeah, the lower level courses are a little boring, but use them as a GPA fluffer. The higher level stuff is more fun, where you can apply the basics, but you gotta get there, first.

Good luck,

Steve

Not exactly a challenging job, but in management, I had a lot of flexibility with hours, spent a lot less on groceries, and it was a target rich environment.:smootch:

mcdonalds-500x351.jpg

mcdonalds_fat.jpg

queen-elizabeth-in-a-mcdonalds-uniform.jpg

Well, at least your McDonald's career didn't get the best of you like these stellar citizens....... :D

pimped-mcdonald-car.jpg

Back