• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weight

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
Had my jeep weighed on the scales at the dump. It was unloaded and came in at 4,800lbs. I had it weighed twice and both times it was the same. What do your XJ’s weigh? Do you think 4,800 is to much? I think I need to go on a diet.

I was fairly shocked when I weighed my XJ after building it. This was about 10+ years ago but I remember it being ~4400 lbs. This would be long arms, stiffeners, Arb front bumper w/ winch, steel rear bumpers, sliders, WJ braked Dana 30, FF Scout Dana 44, and weeny 32" tires on steel wheels. IIRC from the factory XJs are something like 3400 lbs so a half ton of extra weight is quite a bit.

As for whether it is too much? How long is a piece of string? It's going to weight what it weighs depending on how it is built. Weight is a big factor for performance and fuel economy but if keeping it light gets in the way of off-road performance/capability then does it matter?

$0.02

I was fairly shocked when I weighed my XJ after building it. This was about 10+ years ago but I remember it being ~4400 lbs. This would be long arms, stiffeners, Arb front bumper w/ winch, steel rear bumpers, sliders, WJ braked Dana 30, FF Scout Dana 44, and weeny 32" tires on steel wheels. IIRC from the factory XJs are something like 3400 lbs so a half ton of extra weight is quite a bit.

As for whether it is too much? How long is a piece of string? It's going to weight what it weighs depending on how it is built. Weight is a big factor for performance and fuel economy but if keeping it light gets in the way of off-road performance/capability then does it matter?

$0.02

I have the stock LP Dana 30 and Ford 8.8 rear. Was thinking of moving to an HP Dana 30 up front but have been debating what to do as loaded it probably weighs over 5,000LBS. Not much increase in strength with the 30 so probably need to upgrade to a beefed up 44. I may be able to shed about 200lbs by changing my rear bumper was going to do a new one anyway. I have 33’s and plan to go to 35’s so shedding some weight will probably go back up with the 35’s. I haven’t broke the Dana 30 yet but probably will at some point. It has a cage that probably added 200LBS if not more.

Nice build. I built my rear bumper a while back but I think it may be too heavy and was going to do the cut and fold and build a tube rear bumper something light weight that can carry a spare. What do you all think would be the max weight for a rock crawling XJ? With basically stock drive train? Once the jeep tips the scales at 5,000 pounds should you go to bigger axles? My jeep spends most of its time in the rocks on the Rubicon and Fordyce.

Back