• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

College adivce ? Diesel schools

Speedbump96

NAXJA Forum User
im looking for some advice on some good diesel schools. im currently in afghan but i wanna go to college when i get out of the Marines. im looking for a school where i can go to that is good and will offer me a good job im looking to get out of school knowing drivetrain rebuilds axles gears suspensions and etc hopefully welding cert i havent been to college before so im looking to expand my knowledge as a mechanic. ive looked into wyotech and uti havent really been hearing anything good coming from there ne one got any good schools then know of?

Thanks

People really dog on uti. Its a great school and gave me the idea and principles of working at a shop. But hands on is where your going to get to know.
I did there auto, diesel and induatrial. I took alot from it. I dont understand why people hate it.

It is however getting much more expensive to go. I went right out of high school in 02 and i think i paid 24k. Now i hear its in the 30k range.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Ohio tech Diesel school is supposed to be very good!

People really dog on uti. Its a great school and gave me the idea and principles of working at a shop. But hands on is where your going to get to know.
I did there auto, diesel and induatrial. I took alot from it. I dont understand why people hate it.
I diddnt care for it because I had already been working in the field during high school, and went to a technical high school, so most of it was review for me. That, and around here, a degree form UTI means nothing, because so many people go there, then come back home and say how great they are, yet when they get hired, they have no real world experience and fail miserably.

yeah im looking for a program thats gunna progress me in things im not too familiar with i.e. drivetrain rebuild axles and all that good stuff

I forget where you said you were moving back to, but I go to Manchester Community College in Manchester NH and they offer a good automotive program and welding. And you can take a welding course there that counts as an art credit towards a degree. The teacher is real cool and will let you make stuff for your Jeep as long as you're not welding on the Jeep in shop. Last year a Toyota kid built a truss for his rear axle in class for his final project.

I forget where you said you were moving back to, but I go to Manchester Community College in Manchester NH and they offer a good automotive program and welding. And you can take a welding course there that counts as an art credit towards a degree. The teacher is real cool and will let you make stuff for your Jeep as long as you're not welding on the Jeep in shop. Last year a Toyota kid built a truss for his rear axle in class for his final project.

i should be back sometime in feb hopefully i just want a school with a good program that will get me a good job when i get out ive been hearing alot of bad things about wyotech and uti and i just dont wanna be one of those guys and us my gi to pay for a 50k college and not have a job when i get out

I diddnt care for it because I had already been working in the field during high school, and went to a technical high school, so most of it was review for me. That, and around here, a degree form UTI means nothing, because so many people go there, then come back home and say how great they are, yet when they get hired, they have no real world experience and fail miserably.

This pretty much sums up my feelings about UTI. It was a good school, but the name's been tarnished by so many idiots that have barely skated by to get their diplomas that it's lost a lot of respect. I went there after working in 'the field' for a while, and I think it was a good decision. I went Auto/Diesel/Industrial and it gave me a good foundation to go from, but having previous hands on experience helped me absorb a lot of it. The employment assistance there sucks, but it's also a shitty economy so I can't completely blame them. All in all I'd say it's a good school if YOU are willing to put the time and effort into getting everything you can from it.

I think there is still an automotive training center in exton, pa which is supposed to be a good school, and they help you find a job when you graduate. look them up online to see what they offer.

Received my diesel training from the United States Navy nearly 30 years ago. Within five years, I was completely burned out in rebuilding/maintaining diesels, pumps, compressors, A/C&R, hydraulics, evaporators, separators etc. If you demonstrated a degree of competency, you were exploited. Changed fields as a result.

Strictly a hobby today.

Received my diesel training from the United States Navy nearly 30 years ago. Within five years, I was completely burned out in rebuilding/maintaining diesels, pumps, compressors, A/C&R, hydraulics, evaporators, separators etc. If you demonstrated a degree of competency, you were exploited. Changed fields as a result.

Strictly a hobby today.

yeah i do it for the Marines but it doesnt do anything for you when u get out which sucks so it was pointless

suny morrisville in upstate new york by syracuse has a good 4 year auto program (I'm in it) . as well as a full diesal program. check out their website. I'm at the school right now, good people, good place, only thing is it is farm country so we are in the middle of no where

Although I understand your point, not entirely true; Two individuals whom I worked with finished their military obligation and started a business together, and were really doing well. Giving credit where it's due, they were exceptionally tech-smart and possessed excellent wrenching ability.

Don't know where they obtained the business aptitude, though...

yeah i dont know i havent been able to get my transcript from the Marines so it might be able to help me having the classes i did when i first came in i wanna do something but i fear what i enjoy more is being in the military i just dont know if i can make the transition back but we will see

Even after 27 years of dedicated service, transition was no problem for me - I was more than ready to take control of my destiny!

Besides, you'll have to deal with transition at some point; The military career won't last forever.

Even after 27 years of dedicated service, transition was no problem for me - I was more than ready to take control of my destiny!

Besides, you'll have to deal with transition at some point; The military career won't last forever.

yea i mean i love it well have to see how it goes im just hoping for the best

Back