• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil spring issues.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
So when I was unloading I noticed this.

Passenger

Driver

I bent one 7.5" coil up in Harlan a couple years ago and contributed it to the side winch I did in Lions Den which also parted my TB from the frame rail in not a very neat manner...... With the suspension compressed on my trailer shouldn't both coils be more or less straight? Sense the chop and wheeling it I have been kicking around lowering it before the crawl. Maybe about 2" or so. So lets beat up on my jeep and discuss..... FWIW I want to eventually go to ORI or Coil-Overs up front.

Its the nature of having a flat bottom coil plate. You can try clocking the coils

Its the nature of having a flat bottom coil plate. You can try clocking the coils

The flat bottom makes it bend like that when compressed? That makes no sense because they are both the same. Only difference is one is turned on the plate in a different direction from the other.

The flat bottom makes it bend like that when compressed? That makes no sense because they are both the same. Only difference is one is turned on the plate in a different direction from the other.

Exactly. It's just twisted. Jack the body up and see if you can twist it to unbind it and it should be fine. It happens.

Exactly. It's just twisted. Jack the body up and see if you can twist it to unbind it and it should be fine. It happens.

Interesting. I guess the solution would be a different base or a recess in the flat bottom ones?

Looking at the bottom right of the passenger coil it looks like the spring retainer is stuck at the open of the coil if that makes sense

Looking at the bottom right of the passenger coil it looks like the spring retainer is stuck at the open of the coil if that makes sense

You might be seeing where the last set I bent was tacked in place. I have been kicking around lowering the whole jeep again. Maybe a 5.5" coil and ACOS. Would need to redo the whole front winch bumper for that. I really want to go to ORI's at some point. That however is a whole new can of worms......

Did you figure this out? I'm still pretty sure the retainer plate is wedged in the spring

I have not had time to look at it too closely but from what I can tell it looks like a recess in the plate it sits on will fix it. Had to repair my rear front leaf spring mounts before I go to Durham Town this weekend and did a motor swap on the boys 98 xj. :banghead:

Back