• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Severe stumble, misfire and no start issues

iu

Ok im getting depressed now...

Changed the IAC
Changed the O2 Sensor inkl. Relay
Changed the CPS

NOTHING!
The issue is still the same....

I really start to think the car just wants to gently kill me...

I really try to find anything left that could cause this...

Could a cracked exhaust manifold cause this?
The cat? if so how can i test it?
A broken silencer?

What could it be...

The "deleted" EGR Valve leaking / sucking air into the manifold and killing the ratio?

Im out of ideas :(

I really try to find anything left that could cause this...

Could a cracked exhaust manifold cause this?
The cat? if so how can i test it?
A broken silencer?

What could it be...

The "deleted" EGR Valve leaking / sucking air into the manifold and killing the ratio?

Im out of ideas :(

As far as air leaks go, since your plugs indicated a very rich condition, an air leak would need to make the ECU push fuel to a rich condition. Air sucked into the intake manifold will cause a lean condition. Air sucked into the exhaust manifold will cause rich.

I have heard of a few XJs having clogged cats. I'm sure that would cause poor running, but its not obvious to me that it would cause a very rich condition.

As far as air leaks go, since your plugs indicated a very rich condition, an air leak would need to make the ECU push fuel to a rich condition. Air sucked into the intake manifold will cause a lean condition. Air sucked into the exhaust manifold will cause rich.

I have heard of a few XJs having clogged cats. I'm sure that would cause poor running, but its not obvious to me that it would cause a very rich condition.

Whats confusing to me is the following:

If it is running rich (map hose unplugged) its running fine, and i guess thats the reason the plugs were black, they had 50-100 miles on them and all of that driven time without the map -> running rich

The issue exists just if the Map hose is plugged in, wich leads me to believe its running to lean thats why im leaning toward a vacuuum leak (somewhere around the intake manifold) the whole vac harness is new

So youre saying if i had a crack in the exhaust manifold that would cause a rich condition?

I thought about ripping out the cat and looking inside, i just fear i dont get it out without damaging it :D

Its situations like this when a standalone wideband O2 sensor would be informative.

I guess you've checked the easy-to-address intake manifold vacuum leak locations? I suppose the tough location is a leak at the gasket to the head.

I think that pouring water through your cat would be sufficient to assess whether its plugged.

Back