• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest 2 inches

I dont get this thread exactaly, but if all I wanted was 2" I would just go to the junk yard and grab some grand cherokee v8 coils & a s10 leaf spring pack. I would cost basically nothing at a decent yard & you could run comanche shocks in the rear & any number of shocks up front. Spending hundreds on something like this would be crazy IMO.

SYE for 2 inch lift?? I have found that vibes appear around 3.5 inches... A friend has 99, with 3.5, and put a 1" Tcase drop. Maybe I should mention we have manual transmission? I believe it is shorter than the aw4... does that result in less of drive shaft angle?

All it know is we have same set up, and he gets no vibes at all.

I found ZJ coils for 15 each... that a good deal?

Not if you need a job.

What happens to PVC as it ages? It gets brittle. How do the mechanical properties change when it's cold? How does it handle exposure to automotive fumes and chemicals? Do you COMPLETELY understand this? No. PVC's properties can change dramatically with time and exposure. And if it does fail, how will it behave?

I work at a place that makes fiberglass pipe. A MUCH stronger material, and MUCH more stable. It could be considered for this application, in fact I briefly did. But I decided to spend less than a tank of gas on some proper spacers. Just keep you eyes open for some used ones.

I would stack plywood rings WAY before I would use PVC pipe as a spacer. Much more reliable and the failure mode would be less catastrophic. Or scrounge up some metal pipe.

But if you can't afford or find proper spacers, don't lift it.

Good info, and I agree. The brittle"ness" of the material was my biggest concern. I'm glad I was convinced out of this one. I hope this thread makes it to others.

So. Got the rear done. And here is something else that I really hope makes it to others.... shackle relocation: DO IT! its AMAZING! I read a lot of positive things like, better flex, better ride, and you get a lift! and its better than you'd believe!!! I can't believe how a shackle angle can dramatically improve the ride! The flex is great for stock springs and shackle!

I fabricated the brackets myself, and made them permanent on the shackle box. I provided adjustment holes for when I improve the lift and shackle length, I can adjust as needed. A day and a half of work, and only 2 bucks for hardware. I believe I am just under the $40 mark. Goal is 50. I assume some hardware for the front... but we'll see! Front should be done wednesday (or whenever the spacers show up)

Here are the brackets with fresh weld:
DSC_0231.jpg

Some drilling....
DSC_0229.jpg

Placed in with no load on springs.
DSC_0234.jpg

Load on springs, and coated with rubberized stuff:
DSC_0238.jpg

And here she is on all fours again! Ill get better pics whenever it gets nice out and I have room to step back haha
DSC_0239.jpg

Over all, the install went basically flawless. Removing the bumper was enjoyable... lost a shock bolt, and had to cut into cargo area, cause drill/tap failed... other than that perfect.

Drove around the block, and found a spot to flex to check out the structure. Its solid. After some miles, double check the shackle bolts, and I think thats it! Looking forward to the front!

Thanks again for all your input! Keep it coming!

Haaaa haaaa. The welds to the boxes sucked, I know. It was a large gap to span, better than burning through though. Bolted connections are the real meat and potatoes. Welding the steel that I could easily work on turned out good. Heck of a mod though. Took it out on the trail, everything held up great, so, good welds!

Did you notice the tail pipe!? It was in the way....

I've driven on far sketchier welds than that. Heck, I am right now - my passenger side LCA bracket on the d30 is stuck together with a handful of 1/8" stock scraps and my terrible booger welding I was capable of when it broke. Never bothered to paint it either... it's rusty and still holding great after 4-5 months.

When I get my new axle geared and installed, the old one is coming out for a complete rebuild, no worries on that.

The pack lays pretty flat actually... don't know why the picture looks weird. It may be a tad negative... as soon as I can get my hands on a cheap leaf pack of some sort, I do want to do a bastard pack. Keepin my eyes open!

The pack lays pretty flat actually... don't know why the picture looks weird. It may be a tad negative... as soon as I can get my hands on a cheap leaf pack of some sort, I do want to do a bastard pack. Keepin my eyes open!
At least put another leaf under your main leaf, or get another main leaf ,cut the bushing eyes off and use it as your secondary. It will bend

There are a couple pairs of spacers for sale in the For sale sections.

OK time for update. A little delayed, but today turned out to be the best time to do this.

Got the spacers in. They were a tight fit!
DSC_0286.jpg

Here was my technique to help slip the spacers on. Put a pipe between, and jacked the axle up! worked nicely!
DSC_0288.jpg

BOTH sway bar links completely broke :flamemad: I was gonna mod them anyway! Plan (as of now) is to weld on some all thread, and basically repair. (not too sure how that would hold up?? Opinions??) But, for disconnection for trail, im using a large wing nut and pin (through the all thread to keep wing nut from coming lose/off) to hold the link to the sway bar.
DSC_0289.jpg

And, final shot of ride height. Lift is 1.75", tires are 235/75/R15. (about 30" tire)
DSC_0290.jpg

So, the lift cost so far:
spacers, 38
hardware, 2

Got to get some more hardware for the sway links tomorrow... probably another 2 bucks.

Looks like I met my goal!! Thanks again so much for all your help! Any thoughts, criticism, comments... let me hear it! More pics to come when its all complete. I'm hoping to get some lights on it tomorrow (from my previous rig) so, no cost.

New sway bar links if you feel like it or want new bushings on the bottom end - $15 at rockauto, FYI. I'm pretty sure GoJeep's page shows how to cut them in the middle and weld rod in to lengthen them, so as long as you do good quality welding I think you should be fine. Pretty sure the stock units are 3/8-16 thread.

So, I finished the lift project, and glad to say, made it under 50 bucks! Here is a final shot of the ride height. Im estimating that the lift total was about 1.75" front and rear.

DSC_0403.jpg

I couldnt be more happy with the way it turned out! As for the sway bar links, Im not completely finished with them. I saw the wing nut idea, and kinda took off with it, but dont know how to secure the link for wheelin? I think what I'll do is remove the entire link... Rather than having a nut holding the bottom of the link, ill replace with a pin. Here is where Im at now:
DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0286-1.jpg

Thanks again for all of your input! This project would never have worked out this well without you guys!

i think i would of just trimmed my fenders instead of the sketchy lift. but its your xj and i wish ya the best of luck with those coil spacers.

Glad to see you cross drilled the shaft for a hitch pin clip, otherwise those wingnuts would walk right off!

i think i would of just trimmed my fenders instead of the sketchy lift. but its your xj and i wish ya the best of luck with those coil spacers.

All the stupid ideas you had and you are busting his balls? What the hell dude! :D

All the stupid ideas you had and you are busting his balls? What the hell dude! :D

hey i never wanted to use PVC to support a 3500 lb vehicle.

i came up with things like my bumper dumper lol i dont remember my other idiot ideas but i never followed thru with most of my ideas

hey i never wanted to use PVC to support a 3500 lb vehicle.

i came up with things like my bumper dumper lol i dont remember my other idiot ideas but i never followed thru with most of my ideas

He didn't either. We talked some sense into him! :D

Maxx, you wanted to do your idiot ideas too, we just talked you out of them for some reason...

Also, didn't you lift instead of trimming your fenders? I thought you did :dunno:

Back