• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bountiful Ridge Trail Run

The run is planned for the 19th. I doubt the fire will still be an issue in a week, it looked like it's gonna be contained late today or tomorrow.......but that's my impression from driving by at 75 on the I-15 this morning.

I think this moron that started the fire should be given his orange prison suit and a shovel, then hauled up to the top of the ridge to help put it out........sorry about the fire, thanks for the free room and board??!! :mad:

We've come a long way in the last 150 years, he'd be dangling from a smoldering tree branch if he'd pulled this crap back then..... :flame::hang:

XJEEPER said:
The run is planned for the 19th. I doubt the fire will still be an issue in a week, it looked like it's gonna be contained late today or tomorrow.......but that's my impression from driving by at 75 on the I-15 this morning.

Good, I got the feeling from some of the posts that they were planning on the 12th. I was going to be bummed because I was just informed that I had the "option" to come in on Saturday from my boss. But we all know what that means. My boss likes to come accross like this is a democracy but it really is more like a dictatorship. I hate having to be a mind reader.

See you all on the 19th!

Fire Update:
Just heard that the Skyline Dr and surrounding canyons will be closed indefinitely until further notice due to the need to provide access to fire rigs and keep folks out of harms way.

Since I'm not exactly sure of the route known as "Bountiful Ridge", I can only assume that it follows the same route known as Skyline Drive. We need to verify access and change plans early if the area is closed due to fire.
Providence Cyn would be a good option, as would be some exploration in the Uintah Mtns, as Marc mentioned. Anyone know of trails in the Heber/Oakley/Francis area?
Maybe it will rain next week and douse the flames..........all the more reason to pray for rain.

So does anyone know about the rights to the public 4x4 park on the south end of Bountiful Ridge (Skyline Drive?)? I mean is it still public land, can we get a special permit, etc? After having climbed up through that until it meets Skyline, I kind of don't want to drive Skyline itself. At least the last time I drove Skyline, it seemed pretty tame. Weather may have changed it, but I don't know.
There were some twisted areas and some bogs (probably not this late in the season) upon Avon (between Huntsville and Hyrum). maybe we could take those trails if Skyline is closed. DeadEyeJ you know of what I speak. They were open last time I checked, but the forest service was doing some land reclamation up that way, so I don't know.
But we gotta get out soon, my Cherokee is getting restless. I think it might blow a gasket if I don't get it into 4L soon....

XJEEPER said:
Fire Update:
change plans early if the area is closed due to fire.
exploration in the Uintah Mtns, as Marc mentioned. Anyone know of trails in the Heber/Oakley/Francis area?
Seeing how I'm absolutely new to the area, I'm up for the Uintahs. But that's just me.
Thanks,
Dan.

TRNDRVR said:
Seeing how I'm absolutely new to the area, I'm up for the Uintahs. But that's just me.
Thanks,
Dan.

Uintahs are KKKKEEEWWWLLLLL, but I know of NO trails in the area that are not just fireroads.

If i get some time i will go up there and see if we can get up there or not. STP if you can give me directions on how to get to the area where we want to go i will go verify access. I live very close to the B and can make a quick trip if needed.

HTH

Jerm S.

I was just up in the Uintas over the weekend and was checking out the back roads, no real 4-wheeling but beautiful country. The only thing I found was some left over hippies from the rainbow thing. One was a brunett with free love on her mind, sorry boys I had to show her my wedding ring.

Jerm S. said:
If i get some time i will go up there and see if we can get up there or not. STP if you can give me directions on how to get to the area where we want to go i will go verify access. I live very close to the B and can make a quick trip if needed.

HTH

Jerm S.

The spot I was thinking of is when you get to the top of the ridge on the road that startes at the B make a right. You can go left to the fire in Farmighton or straight and I think that goes to Morgan. When I went about a 3 weeks ago we went about 2 miles past that turn. There is a spot where a sign requires off road vehicles. There is some great climbing oppertunities and some a little play ground on the way with some great flex opps. I will post some picts later today.

I'm in, so long as we end up going someplace about 100 miles or less from ogden. Oakley is pretty darn far from here if I recall.
The paper says that as of this morning, the fire is 40% contained. To me, this says that the fire will likely be contained by next Saturday.
However, I would hate to have to rethink our plans on Friday night when we realize that the roads are all still closed down. Especially when our mode of communtication is an online message forum, which isn't the best way to keep in touch.
My vote is cast for some other trail. Providence is good as far as I have been up (always have hit snow). The area between Liberty and Avon, which MightyJeep mentioned, is alright too. Some steep and/rocky stuff, lots of loose rock and dust. I really don't know of many other cool trails around here unfortunately, so maybe we should just stick to Bountiful and hope for the best.
Whaddya guys think?

Ok I will Go up first thing tommarrow and check it out. STP, that road you are talking about it is the one that goes around behind the mountians and is on the east side of the mountains once you get to the top right?

Jerm S.

Ok I think that what STP has in mind is open. It is closed up at the very top of mountain where the gate is on skyline drive. other than that it is open all the way up the bountiful end and i think that the right turn that stp wants to make will be fine. I think that we will be fine up this way. besides by saturday i'm sure they will have the fire out.

HTH

Jerm S.

I know a guy who has spent a lot of time exploring the Northern Wasatch range and he was telling me of a ghost town up by Porcupine Res. in the Avon area. Also of a trail that begin at the mouth of Sardine Cyn above Brigham City and traverses that peaks above, he said that this was a good climb. I'll call him and pick his brain for more info. These would be optional trails,with Bountiful as the first choice.

Any of those sounds good to me. In fact, that sounds like it would be more scenic than up Bountiful but I'll go whereever.

The ghost town has only 2 access roads, I believe. One is up the road that takes you to/through Porcupine Reservoir. The other is a long dirt road that begins at the Hardware Ranch turnoff near the Monte Cristo snowmobile parking lot.

The Porcupine route has a gate that has ALWAYS been locked at the headwaters of the reservoir, where some private church campgrounds are. The Monte Cristo route has been recently blocked off by the Forest Service. They stacked 4' boulders and dug 10' deep pits across the road in a very tight switchback area. We barely managed to get through/around on our 4-wheelers. Impassible to jeeps. :(

These 2 access routes meet just past the upstream end of those private campgrounds, leaving only 1 road into the ghost town from that point.

Unless there is a back way in, we would need permission, or more likely a gate key, from the owners of the private campgrounds to get to the ghost town trail.

-----

The "good climb" at the mouth of Sardine Canyon is more of a "Hell on Earth" climb. If XJEEPER and I are describing the same thing, then it has about a 45* slope for about 300 yards and is almost completely loose 4" or so rocks. A friend of mine made it up with some buddies and it took them hours to make just that section. All had at least 1 locker and they had to winch up almost the entire way. It is passable to the winch guys but still ugly. From there on, the trail is nothing but cool. Very scenic but not too technical at all. It is mostly traversed by ATV's so the trail is usually pretty narrow.

I have never been all the way through it. It got too late on us on our ATVs.
XJEEPER, see if your friend remembers that climb on the trail, if so, we may be getting in over our heads.

Last edited:
DeadEyeJ said:
...............The Porcupine route has a gate that has ALWAYS been locked at the headwaters of the reservoir, where some private church campgrounds are. The Monte Cristo route has been recently blocked off by the Forest Service. They stacked 4' boulders and dug 10' deep pits across the road in a very tight switchback area. We barely managed to get through/around on our 4-wheelers. Impassible to jeeps. :(

And WHY did you go around an obvious blockage?

What ever you all want to do is cool. Here are some pictures from Bountiful Ridge. Nothing special just a couple of view shots and a flex shot. I just found out that there is a cave up on ridge called Tutle or Turtle Cave. Suposed to be pretty cool. Looks like a good climbing opertunity Let me know what you think.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/pb39af70d6a4f07daf097fa5f81e14271/fbac32a4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p8f941e1c5200783e069a670050e29de5/fbac3299.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p14695c44c7e112980674f755b9feda4c/fbac328d.jpg

Stp i have been down to the cave. But it is actually a mine. it is an old silver mine it is on the tuttle loop trail. If you want to get down there it would be one heck of a trail run. Would be very fun. I think i mentioned that i have work obligations at 5PM so depending on where we go i will have to leave early or maybe we will be done by then i'm not sure.

Can't wait to go wheelin

Jerm S.

Back