• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought an XJ, working through some problems and could use a hand

I found that when I came to a red light and if I pumped the clutch slowly about 5 or 6 times then it would shift much smoother when the light turned green. I'm convinced this is a hydraulic issue. Either the slave or master cylinder is probably leaking oil past the rod when pushing the pedal in.

I agree, it does sound like your salve or master cylinder. Does it shift good when the Jeep is turned OFF and not so good when its ON? Be careful not to break your clutch pedal. I am not sure if that happens with Jeeps but it does on Hondas when their having similar issues, my clutch cable broke on my Honda causing my clutch pedal to snap off.

Nope, no similar issues with Jeeps. :D The pedal is attached to a rod which goes right into the master.

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I started it so I figured I was entitled ;)

To recap, I bought a 97 XJ with a little over 100k miles for $1800. Cosmetically the Jeep was in very good shape. Mechanically it was quite neglected. When I first got it, I was new to Jeeps/Cherokees. Now I feel like I've read enough on Naxja to know all it's little idiosyncrasies.

I have big plans for this XJ... but little time and money. So it's a slow progression (I work long hours and support a family of four etc blah blah blah). I'd like to get this thing to the point where I can do week long expeditions. I live along the Canadian Rockies and would like to see more of them!

Here is my progress to date (from the beginning)

CIMG0245.JPG

The Jeep shortly after I bought it about a year ago.

CIMG0137.JPG

First up, change the oil! I used a larger oil filter from a Ford Aerostar

CIMG0141.JPG

Oh man, the air filter was filthy

CIMG0165.JPG

Some new bits

CIMG0166.JPG

New wheel bearings

CIMG0167.JPG

New end links and ball joints all around

CIMG0171.JPG

New u-joints all around, tie-rod ends.... etc etc. I bought all the stuff as part of a "front-end" kit. Some people live by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. I agree with that for the most part, but sometimes it's easier to "do it while yer in there".

CIMG0185.JPG

Just a fraction of the old crap that came out.

CIMG0188.JPG

Time for a coolant flush. I doubt it had ever been done before :(

CIMG0197.JPG

Found some skid plates at the junk yard. The gas tank skid is for an older XJ with a tin tank and it won't fit mine. So if anyone wants it...

DSC03151.JPG

I had clutch problems so had to pull the transmission...

DSC03155.JPG

This is what caused my clutch to fail. Two little springs on the release bearing disintegrated. Basically had to pull the trans because of $0.05 springs!

DSC03156.JPG

Getting ready to bolt in new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing

DSC03258.JPG

Decided I should do an SYE while I had the transfer case out... it's called thinking ahead ;)

DSC03256.JPG

Putting in the SYE. Yes, my garage and tools are a total mess. That is because I built a garage in the midst of all this and it's not quite finished yet so my tools aren't organized at the moment.

DSC03254.JPG

I found a front driveshaft from a 97 V8 Grand Cherokee which I will use in the rear of my XJ. The length is perfect. It's in there now and when the jeep is sitting level, the slip shaft has an inch of compression available and two inches of extension.

DSC03260.JPG

Ready to go in.

CIMG0215.JPG

Home made slave cylinder using parts from a local Princess Auto

CIMG0218.JPG

Slave cylinder bolted in

DSC03249.JPG

Found this locally for $5!!! a Powertrax No-Slip locker. Just need to find a spring kit before I slap it in.

The transmission etc is all back in. I just need a couple of U-bolts for the exhaust and I'm good to go. Can't wait to take it for a spin. It's been sitting all Winter.

Next up, I want to do a RC 4.5" long arm lift.... but I need a bit of time to breathe before that happens (probably in the Fall).

That's it for now. Nothing crazy, just an update. More than anything I enjoy my time in the garage! It's my "release" from a hectic work/family life.

Post up some more details about the home-brew slave cylinder, please.

I started by following this guide

... some people had stated that their generic cylinders didn't last very long but I think I've figured out why. I looked inside the factory cylinder and compared to the generic one. I noticed that with the factory design, the side load on the rod would NOT put any side load on the internal seal (they are independent of each other... this is a good thing). The generic cylinder had the seal fixed to the end of the rod which would cause the seal to side-load against the cylinder wall and prematurely wear out the seal (because the clutch fork doesn't move in a linear motion, so lateral forces are applied to the rod to varying degree throughout it's stroke). I fixed this by "altering" the internals of the generic cylinder by using a few parts from the factory one to make the seal separate from the rod. So far so good.. time will tell if I'm right in my thinking. If that sounds confusing, I basically altered the internals of the generic cylinder to be of the same design as the factory one (from fixed seal at end of rod to floating seal with bushing)

I didn't take any pics of the internals of my custom cylinder but I do have a pic of the internals of the factory one:
CIMG0222.JPG

Last edited:
Nice thread. But I think you've graduated to the "modified tech" forum :)

Really good thread. I'm sort of peeved about the $5 locker, but good thread.

Did you do a master rebuild kit while the TC was open during SYE install?

Did you do a master rebuild kit while the TC was open during SYE install?

Nope (boo), I hope I don't kick myself for not going further. My bank account has a minimum balance for which I will not dip below (aka "safety net"). So considering the transfer case "looked fine" and the fact that I want to get a long arm lift, tires, and re-gear... I guess what I'm saying is that priorities have me saving for other things.

Actually there's more. I found local shop that is selling 4.0 heads for $50. I think I'm going to pick one up on monday and get a jump start on an engine build. I've always wanted to do an engine build but without the pressure of needing it done asap. Man, to much fun to be had an not enough time and funds to do them all!

I'm sort of peeved about the $5 locker
Ha! understandable. I am still in shock over my good fortune.

Back