• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BleepinJeep's Project Scorpion Crawler Build Thread

Enough opinions about his axles have been expressed, and it is cluttering the heck out of his build thread. Let's not run him off, there's a lot of other good info and pics here that will add value to the forum. I, for one, hope he continues to post his progress. I'm sure he'll report back on how the axles hold up, let's give him that opportunity- we might learn something.

:greensmok

His Youtube videos are some of the better ones out there. What he has started here looks great.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Let's see his version.

I think what every ones try to get at is why do all that work to the body and suspension and just to end up putting a Dana 44 under the jeep. Why not go that extra mile and go one tons. I'm not say that a rubicon 44 isn't a bad axle(it's what I'm running on my jeep) it just doesn't Have a place under a full on buggy on 40 no matter how to build it.

So I've made a bit more progress although I'm pretty slow at this but here it is:

Finally got the tires in... was waiting on 40" LTB's for over 6 months and kept getting the run around so I finally just told them to send me some 39.5's which were in stock.

IMG_5297_zps2k4s21ma.jpg

after putting them beside the jeep I could really get a feel for what its going to look like:

IMG_5299_zpswhhmglpk.jpg

IMG_5302_zpsvkwwkxqh.jpg

IMG_5305_zpsjko6n9ln.jpg

Somewhere in there I finally started working on the cage:

IMG_5346_zpsxufc6cxf.jpg

IMG_5350_zpsu6wzu9vo.jpg

IMG_5351_zpsyes2ideo.jpg

IMG_5363_zpskrkykrkc.jpg

I'm doing everything I can to keep the cherokee look and bodylines while still making a functional cage/buggy

IMG_5388_zpscvahv3yy.jpg

another shot with the tires... Jeremy, a friend of mine came over last night and guesstimated that I'll need to raise it about 5 inches from where it sits to be at ride height without bumpstops.

IMG_5393_zpsxqsux92t.jpg

Those rear bars coming down... the D pillars were a PITA to get right:

IMG_5403_zpsrhkoalau.jpg

Then today I extended those bars down:

IMG_5407_zps8twa9val.jpg

And then added these bars in the back which will help protect the tail lights... but will also hold a piece of plate between them. I'd like to have a logo or something cut into that plate with a scorpion so if anyone knows somebody let me know:

IMG_5410_zpsxvxag3bj.jpg

I'm also going to extend the roof down to that bar at the top^.

This is looking really good so far. I'm disappointed by the amount of detractors on this forum, but keep up the good work and helpful videos.

Looking good. I like it.

some folks have thought I left cause of all the naysayers... nope, I'm still here. Just making slow progress on the tube work. But I'll have more pics to post pretty soon.

I think people need some some peanut butter to go with their jelly. I wish I had the fab skills to do what you do.

I think people need some some peanut butter to go with their jelly. I wish I had the fab skills to do what you do.

Lol, thanks but I'm just pretending... I've never build anything like this before so its a huge learning curve for me as well.

does anyone know of some small (maybe 2x2") led pods that double as headlights? I'm wanting to have some sort of "stockish" headlights for trail riding and short pavement emergencies that wont blind everyone.

does anyone know of some small (maybe 2x2") led pods that double as headlights? I'm wanting to have some sort of "stockish" headlights for trail riding and short pavement emergencies that wont blind everyone.

I've always wondered if you could hack apart a stock xj head light and pull all the guts out and some how stuffed a could little led pods inside? Just a thought. Haven't really figured out to wire it to stock head light switch. I've seen after market Dodge Ram/Cummins lights like that.

I know Rugged Ridge has some (look at the link). However, if you're on a budget I know eBay has tons from the other side of the world for much less. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/x-clamp-square-led-light-kit-large-textured-black-15210-91.html

I know Rugged Ridge has some (look at the link). However, if you're on a budget I know eBay has tons from the other side of the world for much less. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

http://www.ruggedridge.com/x-clamp-square-led-light-kit-large-textured-black-15210-91.html

Thanks, I'll probably have to do just some small LED's like that but I was hoping to find something that was more dim like a headlight or maybe an LED light bar that you could flip a switch and only 1 or 2 LED's would light up. (like an LED light bar with a DIM mode)

What about using a set of housings from OEM fog lamps from a junkyard vehicle.

Back