• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Barbed fittings for transmission cooler lines?

on line size.

Any good reasons for not going up to -8 (7/16" id)?? I have the big B&M super cooler with fan, it has 1/2" NPT female fitting & those adapters are available for -8, Earls #9919EFHERL

cons:
cost a little more money for fittings and line, takes up little more room, weighs little more, a bulk head fitting for temp sender may need adapters if they only make -6.

pros:
more volume, more fluid, better cooling, less chance of restrictions in flow with long line runs and plate/fin cooler

...input please

-on above post #79 on temp sender, what about turning it 180° so fluid is always touching sender probe? (I do think recommended/ best is probe to be in fluid flow)

-personally if I'm already spending cash on AN stuff, I'm going to do true compression type fittings to quality braided line if possible (budget permitting, & can be a pain to work with though)

-I have a Cyberdyne digital trans temp gauge in my tow rig, LOVE IT. affordable.
I've always been a old school analog gauge person but the bright red digital readout is much easier to keep track of. you can set a high temp # you want it to flash/warn you. I've been in a few rigs on the trail with traditional gages and they get lost in the dash, easy to miss when 200+ deg!

(I'm building a tj crawler in phoenix area. it has an aw4 with a rail shifter)

my only concern would be the pump in the trans having to keep up with pushing a higher volume of fluid through the lines, not sure if that would be an issue or not.

I had a very large cooler on my setup as well, and had no issues with the -6 hookup. it stayed so cool I only had to flip the fan on when bogged down with the RPMs up to stay moving in really soft sand.

-on above post #79 on temp sender, what about turning it 180° so fluid is always touching sender probe? (I do think recommended/ best is probe to be in fluid flow)

You're the second person to comment on this. Do you think it really makes a difference? I mean the line is under pressure and I figured it would easily force fluid the short distance up to the probe in the T. Guess there's an easy way to find out if it makes any difference. I'll try and rotate it this weekend and report back.

I don't think it will matter either. I don't see the fluid temperature being measurably different being a little bit out of stream.

As for the -8 line I agree with Mike, I would be concerned about the pump struggling to push through the bigger pipe.

my only concern would be the pump in the trans having to keep up with pushing a higher volume of fluid through the lines, not sure if that would be an issue or not.

I had a very large cooler on my setup as well, and had no issues with the -6 hookup. it stayed so cool I only had to flip the fan on when bogged down with the RPMs up to stay moving in really soft sand.

Very good point. I know some racers run big lines but they probably have race built Transmissions with different pumps. leaning back towards -6 now unless I can find a trans expert say bigger is better on stock stuff.

A guy that builds Transmissions for living once told me fluid flowing to fast through cooler does not have chance for heat transfer. Makes sense, not sure it apples to line size though

...on temp sender, if your gauge works like you normally would expect under different conditions your likely okay. If you have IR temp gun you can check lines, cooler etc. at different places to get better idea of performance/function. I use my cheap Harbor Freight IR temp gun all the time for diagnosis

A guy that builds Transmissions for living once told me fluid flowing to fast through cooler does not have chance for heat transfer. Makes sense, not sure it apples to line size though

the same principle applies to the high flow water pumps, if you're not generating extra heat via forced induction or other power adding mods then all you're going to do is move the fluid through too fast for it to be cooled.

as far as the bigger lines on the trans cooler though the problem is not the total volume of fluid being moved, its the weight of the fluid being moved by the pump during operation. it's harder for the pump to push the weight of the amount of fluid that is in a wider line than it is for it to move it through a smaller one. maybe some engineering or physics nerd can come in here and explain why... i know we've got a few of them around here lol.

I'll second Overs TJ... consider fluid velocity. with the same force applied, the fluid in a larger line will flow slower - which might be better for cooling. Or it might be an unwelcome load on the pump. I doubt it would hurt anything, though, and may help cooling.

You know. I need to check with Jeep Speed guys. I know a lot use big coolers with the aw4, much bigger then my B&M Super Cooler. They can't be using small lines.

Re: Re: Barbed fittings for transmission cooler lines?

I'll second Overs TJ... consider fluid velocity. with the same force applied, the fluid in a larger line will flow slower - which might be better for cooling. Or it might be an unwelcome load on the pump. I doubt it would hurt anything, though, and may help cooling.

But the fluid will travel the same speed through the cooler no matter what size line since the volume of the cooler doesn't change.
Also, they do make an in line -8 an fitting with a 1/8" npt hole for a temp sensor. You need to order a short temp sensor too. In running one.

for a given viscosity fluid and a given flow rate, a larger tube will give less resistance to flow... it just flows slower when it gets to the larger diameter tube.

This is why people use larger pipes to supply entire cities than they do single houses.

So use whatever line size you want, as long as it's larger than factory. Of course at a certain point making them larger doesn't really improve things any.

for a given viscosity fluid and a given flow rate, a larger tube will give less resistance to flow... it just flows slower when it gets to the larger diameter tube.

This is why people use larger pipes to supply entire cities than they do single houses.

So use whatever line size you want, as long as it's larger than factory. Of course at a certain point making them larger doesn't really improve things any.

:looney: I plead ignorance! I get the basics on what was said last few posts but I can't figure the final answer/understanding in my head like other stuff, So many variables can apply to a successful cooling system but I think going AN -8 with equivalent hard line is more on the side of (potentially better performance) than smaller sizes.

Thanks for all the input and knowledge.

can I get confirmation on where to put temp probe on a dedicated cooler only set up? on Pirate forum I've seen different locations mentioned

But the fluid will travel the same speed through the cooler no matter what size line since the volume of the cooler doesn't change.
Also, they do make an in line -8 an fitting with a 1/8" npt hole for a temp sensor. You need to order a short temp sensor too. In running one.

Do you have part # for that inline fitting? Do you mean short temp sensor specific to the gage you use? As in the bulb that dips into fluid?

Thanks

do you guys think these would handle the pressure off at least the return line, if not the sending line? 8$ a piece seems legit. I already run rubber tranny line to some cut down metal lines coming off the quick discos at the tranny. if these would work, itd be way cheaper than the earls fittings route.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/MTY-MVA556.html

do you guys think these would handle the pressure off at least the return line, if not the sending line? 8$ a piece seems legit. I already run rubber tranny line to some cut down metal lines coming off the quick discos at the tranny. if these would work, itd be way cheaper than the earls fittings route.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/MTY-MVA556.html

Looks like it may work or at least try. I would be real careful testing and compare the o ring location to the original OEM fitting.

Ill probably go with the earls ones, but found these on my searches. might order them too just to see if they will work

Back