• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Barbed fittings for transmission cooler lines?

I like the T setup, I used a cheap brass one and some hose barb fittings to put my sending unit in, wasn't happy with how it looked at all. The only thing i feel like commenting on is the probe of the sending unit isn't in the flowing part of the T, but I doubt it will matter much on the temp read at the gauge.

Glad to see I'm inspiring others to get rid of those POS quick disco hookups. Keep the install pics coming guys!

I'm using an autometer pro comp trans temp gauge, not the full sweep one. i could look up a part number if its important to you but that should be enough for you to find one on summit racing.

actually I don't have an auto trans anymore, i'd be willing to sell it with the sender, hit me up via PM. might be cheaper to just order it new from summit though with shipping and all.

Auto Meter 3357. "Sport Comp" whatever, black back ground/green backlight.

edited, but Grimm had the 4357 (black on white); the 3357 is white on black. Same sweep, range, senders, cup size, etc. Probably the same exact gauge with a different face.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Great thread, a lot of this actually translates over to the 42RE trans as well. Wanted to ask, I was interested in going with these banjo fitting off the trans instead of the adapters posted -
$%28KGrHqZHJC%21E-kTSe%21V5BP0FRmh2gw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

My only concern is the size of the port on the bolt. Would that be too small/restrictive for the trans cooler? These type of banjo fittings are usually used for coolant and/or oil setups for a turbo.

I wouldn't want the entire volume of oil in the trans trying to make it through the pin holes in a banjo fitting to make it to the cooler... doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all.

^ That's what I wanted to make sure. I was not too keen on it either but it would save a lot of room and I like the crush washer. The transmission fluid is not THAT thick, so I would see this as restrictive.

Where my brother works they throw AN fittings away every day. I could try and get some for you if you'd like. They're good. Just can't be used more than once by the guys there. Some regulation.

Here's what the fittings look like on my 08 Pathfinder. The transmission is a 5 speed auto. The lines are 5/16th. I would have to guess that this transmission is a lot more efficient than the good ol AW4, so the need for smaller lines.

7736451638_6029835154.jpg

I wouldn't use those fittings. 1) it opens another point for a leak, 2) there isn't a whole lot of room up close to the transmission body for them, 3) possibly not enough flow and 4) there is already a better solution.

I think the setup on a 42RE may be somewhat different but I've never worked on one.

Well I just got done re-working the rear of my trans lines using Earl's fittings and 3/8" ATF hose.

One very, VERY important thing I found out was - the brass crush collars that slid over the stock tubing are SINGLE USE!!! I snugged one down for a test fit, not thinking at all, and then had one of those ohhhhh shhiiiiii moments. Luckily I hadn't fully torqued it so I was able to basically grind away part of the bevel and slide it back on where I wanted it. Definitely plan on ordering some more of those...

I really like the design of the adapters that screw into the trans case. The Viton o-rings seem like a much better design than the stupid disconnects that always leaked.

Next I plan on throwing a cooler up front (picked up a Hayden 514, a -6 AN will bolt right up to it FYI), and adding in a temp gauge and standalone filter.

Last edited:
this thread makes me all kinds of happy. Gonna have to get those fittings next time I work on the tranny lines... I hate quickdisconnects with a passion.

If you can find a 9/16-17 threaded pipe fitting anywhere, it is really really damn close to m14x1.5. Note that I don't think such a thing exists, I just ran the calculations to convert to SAE :dunce:

You're not far off. The 14mm side of the adaptor threads into the AN-6 fitting, that is 9/16-18

I did a trans cooler line and torque converter delete instead.

:spin1:

you don't need to block off the cooler in the radiator, once you remove the lines it will drain and that's it.

Im doin this mod soon.
instead of leaving the cooler in the rad blank, I run my power steering thru it

Back