• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you install a Trans Intercooler without cutting the Trans line?

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to install a transmission inter-cooler without having to cut the cur the translate and installing the double barbed fittings?

Reason I ask is bc I have just put in a new radiator and drained all the fluids including trans fluid and if figured if there was a way I am better off doing it now.

If you still have the quick-connects, yes!

Yes.

Order a factory replacement (cooler) one from RockAuto with a couple new hoses, installs by redirecting the quick connect fittings and reroute the rubber hoses (one from transmission and one to the stock radiator connection.

Is there a way to install a transmission inter-cooler without having to cut the cur the translate and installing the double barbed fittings?

Reason I ask is bc I have just put in a new radiator and drained all the fluids including trans fluid and if figured if there was a way I am better off doing it now.

If you live in an area where air temps are frequently below zero and rarely above 80 degrees, circulating the trans fluid thru the radiator tank can be beneficial at startup to help get the trans fluid up to operating temperature.

In warmer climates, circulating the fluid thru the radiator forces the cooling system to work harder to dissipate the heat.

The factory cooler is better than no cooler, but a much better option is installing a larger, plate style trans fluid cooler. I also opted to bypass the radiator, because I live in the high desert and frequently operate my Jeep in temps above 90*F.

Its pretty convenient to cut one of the factory lines, and the resulting hose routing is efficient for installation of a cooler in front of the radiator / AC condenser. I think its easier to take this approach compared to intercepting the trans cooler flow at the quick disconnect fitting to the radiator.

Back