• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know how

BigDog

NAXJA Forum User
So anyone know how to remove and install a windshield or how to hook up power seats and windows to a rig that doesn't have power windows or seat :wierd:

power seats are easy, run a ground wire and use one of your empty ports in your fuse panel

On the windshield idk I'd like to know though. On the window you need to pull the Jeep side of the harness at pick n pull and cut it off back to far enough that you can tap into the wiring, you will need to run at least one power and ground to the harness and probably two wire between the two doors so that you can operate both windows from the drivers door. If you get your jeep driving you could bring it up to my place and we could figure out all of your wiring.

power seats are easy, run a ground wire and use one of your empty ports in your fuse panel

Ok that sounds simple what size fuse they need though? I have never messed with powers seats but going to be changing all the interior out so I can be done with my blue and have some grey.

Now just need to find matching grey back seats.

On the windshield idk I'd like to know though. On the window you need to pull the Jeep side of the harness at pick n pull and cut it off back to far enough that you can tap into the wiring, you will need to run at least one power and ground to the harness and probably two wire between the two doors so that you can operate both windows from the drivers door. If you get your jeep driving you could bring it up to my place and we could figure out all of your wiring.

Well I got the harnesses for everything because I have the parts rig here. It has the tinted windows I wanted but they are power and I want to put them on mine and I don't think the windows are able to be switched out would think have to do the whole door.

X2 I have a cracked windshield in the Black jeep and a good one in the Red

Nick I know what you mean I have bad one on my rig and good one in this other rig lol now just need to figure out how to swap them out.

By the way how was your trip man?

Nick I know what you mean I have bad one on my rig and good one in this other rig lol now just need to figure out how to swap them out.

By the way how was your trip man?
Had a really good time, crazy fun... A guy a few rooms away died on the morning we hit dock. Next time we are flying... 20 hours of driving, kinda sucks. But I'm a cheap as. So we will see.
I'm ready to DO WORK on the jeep, hopefully Sunday.

Ok that sounds simple what size fuse they need though? I have never messed with powers seats but going to be changing all the interior out so I can be done with my blue and have some grey.

Now just need to find matching grey back seats.

When I wired mine in, I think I am just running a 20amp fuse maybe even a 10. Id have to go look.

I will help you replace your winsheilds i can get the glass. Nick do not even bother trying to pull a used windshield it will break trying to take it out and if you do get lucky taking it out alot of times you will break it putting it in your other Jeep

So anyone know how to remove and install a windshield or how to hook up power seats and windows to a rig that doesn't have power windows or seat :wierd:

I have the tool to cut a windshield out. I have cut several out with out breaking them and installed a few about 20 years ago. We could go to a pic and pull and take a few out to practice.

Dave

Windshield removal: Remove the trim pieces and thread a length of piano wire or a guitar string through the sealant then cut around the glass using the wire.
Installation: Clean all the old sealant away, then apply new sealant (tape types are easiest to use), set the glass in place and tap around the edge with a rubber mallet to seat it.
Helps to have a heat gun to soften the sealant and suction handles to handle the glass. It's a messy job and the glass is easy to break.

I will help you replace your winsheilds i can get the glass. Nick do not even bother trying to pull a used windshield it will break trying to take it out and if you do get lucky taking it out alot of times you will break it putting it in your other Jeep

Thing with someone getting the glass though is then it is going to cost and when you have one sitting there with a good windshield and the pocket book is getting thin then you want to try to use that used one you have sitting there seeing how it is free lol. Now if you are able to get new glass for free well then hell yeah lol

I have the tool to cut a windshield out. I have cut several out with out breaking them and installed a few about 20 years ago. We could go to a pic and pull and take a few out to practice.

Dave

Yeah practice might be a nice thing and hell a junk yard window is perfect to practice with lol I have done that for a few things that I wasn't sure about and didn't want to mess mine up lol They make a tool for that is it as simple as the tool they make for helping put a cluch in lol

Windshield removal: Remove the trim pieces and thread a length of piano wire or a guitar string through the sealant then cut around the glass using the wire.
Installation: Clean all the old sealant away, then apply new sealant (tape types are easiest to use), set the glass in place and tap around the edge with a rubber mallet to seat it.
Helps to have a heat gun to soften the sealant and suction handles to handle the glass. It's a messy job and the glass is easy to break.

Hhhmmm that sounds pretty simple really but think might still want to try a practice shot at the junk yard to make sure I can pull it off with out ruining the one shot I got lol

Now that you said something I also have the suction cups. The cutting tool I have work slick. It has a L shaped razor blade and two handles. One to stableize and the other to pull.

Dave

I have been told they settle or work harden them selves over the years of use. When I use to do it I would check the the build dates and only take the newest ones I could find.

Dave

I have been told they settle or work harden them selves over the years of use. When I use to do it I would check the the build dates and only take the newest ones I could find.

Dave

Hey this one has only been settling itself in for 20 years can't be to bad :dunce:

Okay guys not to rain on your parade but you cant use tape kits anymore its agains the law to install a windshield on a tape kit. You must use urethane to install any front windshield that you pull out. Yes if you want to try intstalling a used windshiled I will help you i did this for 8 yrs however I will not help you install something the wrong way. Listen these windshield are pasive restrain systems meaning if your not wearing your seat belt your windshiled will keep you contained in your car. Secondly if not installed correctly your air bag if your Jeep came with one will not work properly. Thirdly if is not installed properly or its cracked upon rollover its not going to do its job properly. It would probably cost between 150.00 and 200.00 dollars for a new windshield. Like I said i will help you if you want to use a used windshiled but i would rather use a new one they bond better to the Jeep. I am unemployed and i would not let my family ride in a Jeep that had a faulty windshiled installed its not worth risking you or someone you loves life. Thats why glass shops use new glass and install them under strick guildlines. They can get sued and have before.

Thanks Jason

Last edited:
If you install a windshield on a tape kit or commonly know at Butly tape and the windshiled comes out of that vehicle in a crash or a roll over which is not uncommon for a lifted Jeep to do. The person that installs it is liable. Another thing that I would like to point out is this cars and trucks with uni-bodys there glass is considerd part of the structural integrity of that vehicle. We had a glass manufacturer come to our shop and pull all the glass out of an Audi then they drove the car it had so much body flex that the car was almost undrivable. I sure wouldnt have driven it on any freeway.

I am unemployed and i would not let my family ride in a Jeep that had a faulty windshield installed its not worth risking you or someone you loves life.

Jason I see your points on making sure the glass is installed the right way BUT to uphold my smart a$$ reputation are you saying that if you were employed you would let them ride in a jeep with faulty windshield installed in it? :looney:

They use urethane on new cars to keep the airbags from blowing the glass out on deployment. If you're depending on the windshield to keep you in the car in the event of an accident .. I don't know what to tell ya. If you hit something hard enough to eject a butyl sealed windshield you're probably meat anyway. Use the 3M tape and make sure the surfaces are clean.

"Butyl tape and polyurethane sealant--two alternative adhesive bonding techniques--provide approximately equal windshield retention in crashes." (1)

(1) http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/806693.html

Last edited:
They use urethane on new cars to keep the airbags from blowing the glass out on deployment. If you're depending on the windshield to keep you in the car in the event of an accident .. I don't know what to tell ya. If you hit something hard enough to eject a butyl sealed windshield you're probably meat anyway. Use the 3M tape and make sure the surfaces are clean.

"Butyl tape and polyurethane sealant--two alternative adhesive bonding techniques--provide approximately equal windshield retention in crashes." (1)

(1) http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/806693.html

I always used the polyurethane seal was not all that hard at all to do. But like I said it was almost 20 years ago.

Dave

Back