• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another new Guy from Alabama!

highspeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
My name is Brandon. Although this is my first post on here, I am hardly a noob. Long story short, I have been a car guy for way too long.Over the past 12 years I have owned 9 DSMs, 1 3kgt VR4, 1 Galant VR4, 2 SVT Contours, Multiple Civics and Integras of all disciplines(years ago when I was younger), 1 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD, 1 Audi A4, 1 95 Grand Cherokee(loved it), 1 2001 Wrangler, and finally 1 2001 Audi S4.

So, my last car was a 2001 Audi S4. I loved the car, but damn..........those things can get expensive fairly quickly. So I finally took this opportunity to look for an XJ. Luckily I found a guy in Sevierville TN who was looking to get an S4. This is what I ended up with.

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

- 96 XJ
- 139xxx on the clock
- RCX 6.5" with 2 in spacers up front and shackles in back, no blocks. So 8.5 total with
- RCX control arm drop brackets
- RCX discos
- Rusty's Off Road 8" pitman arm drop
- HD tie rod ends
- Skyjackers 7000 8" lift shocks
- 5 MT classic Lock 15x8 with 33s
- Iron Rock Adjustable track bar
- Rocky Road outfitters
- HP Dana 30
- 29 Spline C8.25
- Flowmaster
- and a ton of maintenance

There is more of course, I wouldnt give up a really nice audi for some POS. My main reason for doing this was to have a good trail rig for camping and fishing with my girls, and own something that wouldn't bankrupt me if something broke. I drove 112 miles in it yesterday and it was fine but needs some small things like TC drop, regearing( 5speed ), and LOCKERS. Has great A/C and heat. New sound system. It does seem to wonder slightly at highway speeds, but no death wobble or anything like that.

I can't wait to meet some of the locals and be apart of the community.............I know they exist because I see XJs all the time riding around. I also know that I will need some help, and I am also willing to help if anyone needs anything.

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice start. If it were mine I'd start by sorting through the steering by ditching the drop pitman arm and invest in a nice system that will work well with what you got. I too have owned more dsm product than I ever should have and with the last one making 658awhp with a buschur block and a head off sheps car, I realized that I'd rather work on jeeps again instead of buying all of sheps stock of intermediate shafts. Welcome to a community that has the best guys/ friends you'll ever have the pleasure to meet.

LOL, I wasn't calling this a POS.............I was saying that I would not trade my Audi for a POS...........and that there was more stuff on the XJ than I had listed.

Before I go to Gray Rock.........I need to atleast do a TC Drop. So I will order that tomorrow.

Welcome you have probably seen me in one of my many xjs.

Ill keep an eye out. And if you need any help or parts let me know.

The wandering is most likely due to lack of caster. With that much lift you'd pretty much have to eliminate all the caster just to get the front drive shaft any where close to a vibration free angle.

Makes sense. Its really not that bad, just have to stay on top of it when driving. There just seems to be a neutral spot in the steering. It really feels like tie rod ends are busted, but they are fairly new and greased. I did 80mph for over 100 miles with little issue, just had to get used to it.

It does need SYE though, I was going to go with the TC drop but I don't like the way it tilts the motor. Its not gonna be a full off road only rig so I am thinking the Iron Rock SYE and custom length driveshaft for the lift.

Last edited:
Rustys sye kit goes on sale alot keep an eye out for the sales. And get Frankie at Huntsville driveshaft to make them.

Back