• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Compressor for OBA

Oatmeal said:
Here's a link to an interesting comparison http://gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm ........Hans

I'll second this guy's findings. Picked one up about a year ago and am very happy with it; no problems to report and it can take a stock (225/70R16) tire from 15 to 30psi in around 2.5 minutes. Haven't got around to perma-wiring it yet, but definitely plan on doing so.

casm said:
I'll second this guy's findings. Picked one up about a year ago and am very happy with it; no problems to report and it can take a stock (225/70R16) tire from 15 to 30psi in around 2.5 minutes. Haven't got around to perma-wiring it yet, but definitely plan on doing so.

Are you sure you got the 1050 and not the 1040? The 1050 airs up 33's from 10 to 30psi in about 2-3 mins....

casm said:
Hey, where in Pasadena are you located? Always looking for someone to wheel with..........Hans

For the guys that have Air Compressors installed in the cab, how loud are they?

Thanks
Jason

JMotorsprt said:
For the guys that have Air Compressors installed in the cab, how loud are they?

Thanks
Jason
I had a Quickair(the original one) under the hood of my first truck. It was loud enough I wouldn't want that inside my truck, not if I was in it!:shocked:

Well, I was in Pep Boys today and ended up buying one. I'll let you all know about it once I get it installed sometime this week.

Fozzy_Bear said:
I'll let you all know about it once I get it installed sometime this week.

Well, I have used it and I have some definate opinions.

1) the compressor is great. It is quieter that I was expecting. It didn't get as hot as fast as I thought it would , and is easier to carry than it looks.

2) the line they send is total crap. It is thin and flimsy. The box and all of the documentation have "good to 125psi" written all over them, but the line poped like an overstuffed ravioli noodle at 80 psi. (I was filling my tank, so I could see the pressure it got to before failure. After it did fail, and I could see the wall thickness of the plastic line, I was supprised it lasted as long as it did (that being 10 minutes of use)

3) while it DOES, have a quick disconnect for the pressure line, said component is NOT any standard size (that I could find, see the note below). So I have an ugly patch-job of the original line and new line hooked on to it for now. I hope that I can find either a fitting that will fit the existing part, or a fitting that will screw into the non-standard hole in the compression head.
***note: I am certainly no expert. I am assuming that since there was nothing at either Home Depot or Pep Boys that fit this thing that it is not the most common size (Since those stores have pressure fittings, but don't carry much selection) If you know where I could find a new fitting for this thing, PLEASE let me know ***

So, all in all, I'm happy I bought it. But I did need a little fab work to make it work the way I want it.

at 5 1/3 cfm, you would never need more than that to air tires and use the occasional air tool in a pinch. the psi isn't a lot, but that's not what this was designed for. sheer volume-more than a lot of ac compressors. i'm leaning more to the puma now. the seller said that it can be seperated and mounted in any position.

Dirt Surfer said:
Thanks. I've spent plenty of time at Sanden, haven't seen that, but have seen stuff explaining nomenclature. The only part number I have on my compressor is U4784. Never found anything explaining that. I have seen their numbers on others compressors, but that is not what is on mine. Any ideas? This is on a 2000
Sorry to bring up this old-ish thread, but I was looking for OBA stuff. The Sanden on an R-134 system XJ should be the SD7H15, which based on my calculations (thanks to the link by Rev http://www.sanden.com/support/servicemanual/english/compressor_nomenclatur.html) puts out 4.92125 cfm. Looks like it would definitely be worth doing.

WOW, reading all your posts is great but every time I try a search, your right Roxtar, naxja is really search impaired. I'm putting in a new radiator and before I did I was thinking about converting the stock AC compressor to an OBA myself. Anybody with any ideas?
Thanks

WOW, reading all your posts is great but every time I try a search, your right Roxtar, naxja is really search impaired. I'm putting in a new radiator and before I did I was thinking about converting the stock AC compressor to an OBA myself. Anybody with any ideas?
Thanks

You do realize that Roxtar's post you were referencing is almost exactly 4 years old, right?

Anyways, the NAXJA search engine (unfortunately) doesn't like 3 letter words. Get a little creative and think about what other words might be commonly used in discussing the info you're looking for. I just searched "convert compressor" and came up with a bunch of A/C to OBA threads. Including "NAXJA" in a Google search is also your friend. Try reading this link:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349

Back