• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Compressor for OBA

FiFo

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here is my situation and my idea. I am building up a XJ with Detroits front and rear and 33x10.5" tires so the only thing I need OBA for is to inflate my tires at the end of a run. It seams to me like the cheapest/Best way to go is simply to take a small portable Air Compressor, wire it to the battery through a DC-to-AC converter and call it a day. I'm thinking a little guy like this one at sears would work great for that purpose.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00915310000&tab=spe#tab

Since I have yet to see anyone do anything similar, tell me what I am missing here.

Cheapest would be to convert your stock AC Compressor to OBA if you have AC!!

I have one of those compressors for my airbrush, its VERY loud, i wouldn't want to be in a closed Jeep with one running!!

You could get a nice 12volt compressor for about the same or less then that compressor and a AC/DC converter anyway!

Sounds good in theory, but i have a compressor this size and it takes forever to air up a tire any bigger than a regular car tire. If you wheel much I think you will get tired of it pretty quick.

93186.gif

Works great, fast, under $100... harbor freight.

Yea, sure looks bulky. Heres another option: I believe Master Flow model 1050 is available on eBay for under $100. Supposed to air up a 33 in under 5 minutes!

is that your setup kid? You have any mor pics on how that is put together. I want to do OBA, and was going to go the AC compressor route since I don't have AC, but an electric one would just seem like an easier install. No crazy brackets and not messing with the serp belt.

87manche said:
is that your setup kid? You have any mor pics on how that is put together. I want to do OBA, and was going to go the AC compressor route since I don't have AC, but an electric one would just seem like an easier install. No crazy brackets and not messing with the serp belt.
Email me for more pics
[email protected]

Does anyone have a link to how to do an A/C conversion? My rig has AC, but it doesn't blow cold. Also some people in my club said the A/C rought wouldn't work because I would wear out the A/C pump in only a few uses. Any truth to this, or is it just a myth?

FiFo said:
Does anyone have a link to how to do an A/C conversion? My rig has AC, but it doesn't blow cold. Also some people in my club said the A/C rought wouldn't work because I would wear out the A/C pump in only a few uses. Any truth to this, or is it just a myth?
Well, I was going to chastise this guy for not doing a search under oba which should get about a thousand threads to choose from but, apparently, naxja is currently search-impaired.

FiFo said:

AC conversion is the easiest and cheapest way to go, and works best.

Your compressor will put out 2.5+ CFM where the electrics only put out about 1 CFM.

There are plenty of articles here and on Jeep Aholics on how to do this. You can even skip the tank and run a straight line with a blow off in between if you want uber cheap.

FiFo said:
OK,
here ya go.
Search is a beautiful thing.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=852455

I have been searching, but I still havn't found if you can have your air still hooked up and run an A/C compressor at the same time. Does anyone know?

Ok, just so I don't tick to many people off I want to state that I did so a search, but the search function keeps doing some weird stuff. I only pulled up 4 threads which dealt with A/C conversions, one of which was this thread, one on Converting to R134 and the other two telling people to search. When I click on the link you just provided I get a line that simply states "Sorry - No matches. Please try some different terms.” Which I’m assuming is not what you where trying to link to and is the search function acting up.

Finally, yes I’m a Noob who is lucky he knows which end of the vehicle the engine is in, and am trying to use this build up as a great excuse to learn as much about cars as I can. So the link on post #5 really is too hard. At least to understand, I don’t really under stand most of what that short little paragraph was talking about.

Ok, now back to the topic at hand, assuming anyone actually takes the time to read this hole thing. I did eventually find a link to a more detailed explination of how to convert A/C to air here:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/2001/05_may/onboard-air/onboardair1.html

This covers the how, but doesn't answer the whether the compressor will die or not. I'm assuming with the number of people on this board doing it that it works just fine, however I was told that you would have to go to the junk yard after a couple uses becuase it puts to much strain on the compressor and will stop working. Is that what you all do, or is this just totaly bogus?

kscherokee said:
I have been searching, but I still havn't found if you can have your air still hooked up and run an A/C compressor at the same time. Does anyone know?

Acording to the page I linked to above:

"making this conversion will render your A/C useless. You will be disconnecting all of the A/C plumbing from the compressor plus you will have to have the refrigerant removed from your system by a certified shop."

Which I believe answers your question because if there is no refrigerant then there is no cold. Though with my limited knowledge this could be a case of the blink leading the blind. :)

Back