• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Compressor for OBA

87manche said:
Got the pics from kid4lyf, that's a sweet setup.
Looks like I'll be going electric. A few more questions about that compressor.
Dimensionally how big is it? I looked on the website and they've got zilch on the dimensions.
What kind of airflow does this thing need to keep it cool, and does it have a built in fan?
Possible to mount this thing in the engine compartment? I don't have that nifty cargo area to put things into.
I got the PDF from that site, but it doesn't have a whole lot of info regarding mounting and weatherproofing.
I also put up your pics on my host.
http://www.nsjames.net/comanche/kid4lyf/
if anyone else wants to see the setup.
Overall dimensions, with filter and oiler, are roughly 16"X9"X6".
It can be mounted at any angle.

hey guys, trying not to hijack, but how do you tell how much an electric compressor will flow/ how big it is? what would run a small die grinder?

gcurtis said:
AC conversion is the easiest and cheapest way to go, and works best.

Your compressor will put out 2.5+ CFM where the electrics only put out about 1 CFM.

It's big, heavy and expensive, but the (electric)Oasis XD2000 is capable of 7.5 CFM @100psi.

Ronbo said:
It's big, heavy and expensive, but the (electric)Oasis XD2000 is capable of 7.5 CFM @100psi.

I've been to John's facility (I was going to distribute his stuff) and have seen what he uses; his numbers are clearly inflated.

He uses a York compressor (the same one I use, a 210) with a winch motor to turn it. There is no magic in his stuff, although he wants you to think that there is.

9357343_masterflow_tsuna_36.jpg

these are for sale at pep boys for 50 bucks.
here are the specs:12V, with a maximum psi of 120, up to 70 LPM. Includes 16 ft. coil hose and 8 ft. power cord with battery clamps. With bag.

$59.99 regular price - $10.00 mail-in rebate = $49.99 each
#MF-1050

cjwalkeriii said:

here are the specs:12V, with a maximum psi of 120, up to 70 LPM. Includes 16 ft. coil hose and 8 ft. power cord with battery clamps. With bag.

#MF-1050
That works out to 2.54 CFM! I picked up,one of those for my girlfriend's kid and liked it so much, I got one for myself! I leave my bigger compressor at home most of the time and carry that one behind the seat of my Toyota. It'll air up my 35s in a reasonable amount of time....not slow at all!........Hans

cjwalkeriii said:

#MF-1050
Here's a link to an interesting comparison http://gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm ........Hans

87manchie said:
Got the pics from kid4lyf, that's a sweet setup.
Looks like I'll be going electric. A few more questions about that compressor.
Dimensionally how big is it? I looked on the website and they've got zilch on the dimensions.
What kind of airflow does this thing need to keep it cool, and does it have a built in fan?
Possible to mount this thing in the engine compartment? I don't have that nifty cargo area to put things into.
I got the PDF from that site, but it doesn't have a whole lot of info regarding mounting and weatherproofing.
I also put up your pics on my host.
http://www.nsjames.net/comanche/kid4lyf/
if anyone else wants to see the setup.

I wouldn't put it under your hood if you can help it. Try under the seat or behind it (I was think your MJ has buckets). If it won't fit there how about getting a tool box for the bed, and putting it in there.

cjwalkeriii said:

#MF-1050

Wow.

I already have a 5 gallon tank I keep in my XJ (I usually just fill it at my friends house every so often.) It looks like using this puppy to keep the tank charged might be exactly what I'm looking for. - I am not going to have bigger than 33" tires anytime soon. -

Thanks for the info

jdbwrx said:
Any thoughts?

30 amp draw.

Not unmanagable, but be sure you account for that and run some beefy wiring.

Of course, the pep boys model draws that much too.

jdbwrx said:
I have researching all this for several hours, and just stumbled across this Puma 12V compressor with 1.5 gallon tank on Ebay. The CFM numbers look pretty good, and it has a 100% duty cycle. Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PUMA...43986QQitemZ4622095775QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Also, why do most people seem to run their tanks outside? Is it just a space issue?
I have one, it's an excellent compressor. You can get them here: http://buzzardgulch.com/BuzzardGulch/CatalogV2.htm click onto page 84. I paid $169 delivered for mine 2 yrs ago........Hans

Oatmeal said:
I have one, it's an excellent compressor. You can get them here: http://buzzardgulch.com/BuzzardGulch/CatalogV2.htm click onto page 84. I paid $169 delivered for mine 2 yrs ago........Hans

Oatmeal, thanks for the review. I saw you had good things to say about it after I did a search on it later. Did youleave yours as pictured, or did you seperate things? I'm just considering mounting options and set up.

jdbwrx said:
Oatmeal, thanks for the review. I saw you had good things to say about it after I did a search on it later. Did youleave yours as pictured, or did you seperate things? I'm just considering mounting options and set up.
I left it intact so I can move it from rig to rig.....I've got three 4Xs an early Bronco, an XJ and a Toyota P/U, kind of an international ensemble. lol ..........Hans

Back