• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a big air compressor tank really needed?

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
If you are running high volume air tools such that your air compressor can barely keep up, but does, does it really matter if you have big a 60, 80, 120 gallon air tank? Asked another way, most 10-16 com air compressors are stationary and come with a 60 gallon tank but I did find a portable 3HP 10.3 cfm at Grainger that comes with a small 20 gallon tank. If you are going to use 9-10 cfm for minutes at a time, then does it matter if the tank is 20 or 60 gallon? I would rather have the more compact compressor to save space and get portability.

I have an 1/2" drive air drill and even plumbing together a 7.1 and 6.4 cfm compressor, together, they don't keep up. I don't think they are that far off, though. I am guessing if I replaced the 6.4 cfm with a 10.3, for 17.4 total, that I would be OK.

Be careful with HP ratings. Unless it's 220v and above, anything above 2hp for a 110v is a gimmick. A bigger tank will only provide slightly more air time. I'd personally rather have a higher scfm rated compressor than a larger tank. Unfortunately, lack of 220v limits me so I have to get the big tank and let the compressor fill it slowly and then use it.

Air drills are notoriously inefficient and I never use one. DA sanders are also air hogs, but they are well worth the effort.

SCFM is what really counts, but a big tank really helps.

The air drill is listed as 4.5 CFM (32 SCFM). I am finding it hard to believe that it would draw a full 32.

The 3HP 10.3 cfm is a 220V unit. CH also makes one with a 26 gallon horizontal tank. If you have a 110V 20A circuit you could convert it to 220V depending on what else is going on with that circuit.

Another question, how does one effectively drain a horizontal tank? I prefer vertical with a drain opening in the middle. Some of the new ones are putting it on the side presumably because people complained the ones in the center were hard to get to???

Is that a 5HP "peak" rating by chance where the motor is about 3.2HP? For the last 15 years or so that I've been paying attention, 3.2-3.7 HP compressors are generally rated 10.3 CFM @ 90 psi. Today most 5HP units are 15.8-18 CFM @ 90 psi.

Revisiting this thread. I've found that having a bigger tank keeps temperatures lower and that in turn keeps water from getting past my water separator. My 30 gallon compressor tank will get to 100F after a while, whereas the 60 gallon compressor tank won't get past 80. If using a smaller tank you'd probably need some sort of after cooler to achieve the same result.

Back