• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Rubicon Express customer testimonial ...

OK... I understood everything you were saying at least partially till that.

You don't want new springs apparently. So what action exactly do you want them to take? Concerns seem about the most they can do since you don't want new springs from them apparently.

EDIT: also curious about the "take it to NAXJA"

OK... I understood everything you were saying at least partially till that.

You don't want new springs apparently. So what action exactly do you want them to take? Concerns seem about the most they can do since you don't want new springs from them apparently.

EDIT: also curious about the "take it to "

I want them to tell me they'll look into it. I'd LIKE to know when they have looked into it, and I'd LIKE to see a bulletin in six months that says their springs, shocks, something, are new and improved. For them to immediately address the same condition in both cases tells me that they know of a flaw in their products. Don’t address me with a half-solution and a sales pitch, address your product line. That’s what I want.

Not that any of this will happen of course, but least of all I wanted them to know of yet another well-documented case of their products failing due to a known condition. That much has been done, so I'm moving on.

As for the “take it to NAXJA” part, I assume it was suggested because a lot of eyes would see it.

Last edited:
He just wants to cry on a bunch of 4wd forums to try to ruin RE's good name even though they want to replaced their product that he damaged after 3 years of use.
How dare they want to help.
:bawl::bawl::bawl:

basically, you want them to whisper sweet words in your ear?
i'd like rubicon express even more if they straight up told you to XXXX off... you sicko...

even kastein turned against you! its unanimous except for coastie.

Are you saying that you would have 0 qualms driving a vehicle that sat 1 inch different between the driver's and passenger's side? Would you be comfortable putting your family in said vehicle? Springs are sold in a set for a reason. Why not give RC, RE, OME, Rusty's, or any of the big brands a call and ask for 1 coil spring and see what they say. I've got a fiance & 3 kids, and I'd be damned if I would. If I were in that case, I'd go with a vendor that was willing to stand by their product in light of their "concerns" in not replacing the other spring.

Basically it comes down too either it's dangerous (which in that case the OP should have gotten a set of springs), or it's no big deal. In which case the "customer service" rep was pushing the OP to spend money something that's not needed. That's the problem with retail, they don't give you what you need and try to sell you crap you don't need.

Yes I do, in fact I've been doing it for a few years now.

Lets not get out of hand here, these aren't brake parts that you need to replace both sides at the same time, they are SPRINGS.
Having a slight height difference side to side is nothing to worry about. It will not cause the vehicle to be unsafe. You won't fold like a taco because of it. It does not affect camber. Our camber is pretty much set unless you bend an axle. I drove mine with the rear end sagged uneven for a while and it had no ill effects. It's now sagged even.

Let's say you went with the replacement coil, installed it and uh-oh, now one side is slightly higher than the other! He never told you about that? That bastard! Now you're pissed because he didn't tell you and give you the opportunity to buy a second one at a discount and you come on here complaining about that now.

He told you about the possible height difference so that if you got the warranty replacement you wouldn't be surprised, not because he seriously thought it would cause problems for your vehicle.

I want them to tell me they'll look into it. I'd LIKE to know when they have looked into it, and I'd LIKE to see a bulletin in six months that says their springs, shocks, something, are new and improved. For them to immediately address the same condition in both cases tells me that they know of a flaw in their products. Don’t address me with a half-solution and a sales pitch, address your product line. That’s what I want.

Not that any of this will happen of course, but least of all I wanted them to know of yet another well-documented case of their products failing due to a known condition. That much has been done, so I'm moving on.

As for the “take it to NAXJA” part, I assume it was suggested because a lot of eyes would see it.
I drive on salt free roads. We see snow once every couple years. My shocks failed as well. Such is the deal with cheap shocks on an off-road vehicle. I don't think rust had anything to do with my shocks, probably not much with yours either, but they have to ask so that they can be sure what the problem was and if it can be warrantied or not. It's better than the send them in, on your dime, and we'll see if it's covered. If not, you'll have to pay their shipping back, or pay for new ones plus shipping. I've heard that one from various companies before.

Again, Rubicon Express WILL NOT receive another cent of my money. They advertise themselves, and forum feedback reiterates their reputation as the "top of the line" suspension provider for Jeep enthusiasts. Perhaps if you live in the deserts of the West, you'll have better luck. But for the rest of us, for them to not once, but TWICE, argue that their products will not stand up to road salt (a shock, maybe, but a coil spring??) - then I would think twice about purchasing anything from Rubicon Express outside of a t-shirt. Although you never know, the California cotton fibers might melt right off your back should you dare to step outside. ;)

You must have missed the part where I never asked for one, let alone two, springs until he offered one but was "concerned." That's my core issue with RE - concerns, no action.

so I'm moving on.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-3809-internet-argument-techniques/

3,4 and 6
Yeah 6 is only semi justified but I'm sure he'll come through in the end.

6.JPG

So he's upset because the RE CSR didn't make him part of their engineering department, so now it's time to unleash his fury on teh innerwebs? C'mon guy, it's a broken coil. Replace them and get on with your life.

The point of online forums is to share experiences, positive or negative. My experience has been shared. Some agree, some don't, and others don't even get the point. This is what I expected, and the plan has always been to get Rough Country springs at vendor cost and move on. That hasn't changed. I don't think I was mistreated by RE and I don't intend to turn anyone away from RE, I want people to read the thread and form their own opinions. I'm not so ignorant to think I have more power than that, and I'm not here to argue ... this is the internet, afterall. The thread title is a "customer testimonial", not "Rubicon Express dicked me over!!! They make JUNK!!!! 1!11!!!". Mike's been up-front with me the whole time and I appreciate that, and I've been the same to him. I humbly decline his offer for the reasons I've stated throughout this thread. I'm dissatisfied with my products - why would I want more of the same?

Last edited:
it looks like your coil cracked right where your keeper is below the coil instead of where it should be...hmmm... I'm pretty sure rubi doesn't even make their shocks but every time i've blown mine i've just put it on their counter and they replace it no charge no reciept necessary. If you wan't to be a part of the off road community you better get used to seals blowing and quit your bitching and pointing. It comes with the sport.

I see both sides of this.

My gen 2 disco's don't fit right. I called them, and they blamed my installation.

My leaf spring lean, and have sagged. I talked to a rubicon guy IN PERSON at the 4wheel parts show.

He blamed my driving habits for the spring lean. Thanks pal.

I like the parts, but they don't seem to be so problem free. I like rubicons products, but I will soon get rid of the ones I don't like and run a hybrid iron rock/ rubicon/ jks suspension set up.

it looks like your coil cracked right where your keeper is below the coil instead of where it should be...hmmm... I'm pretty sure rubi doesn't even make their shocks but every time i've blown mine i've just put it on their counter and they replace it no charge no reciept necessary. If you wan't to be a part of the off road community you better get used to seals blowing and quit your bitching and pointing. It comes with the sport.
I should have picked up on that. For some reason I saw it and it didn't even register... there also appears to be a pebble under the coil spring, wtf?

Who installed your springs again? Is the other side properly done with the coil retainer over the coil instead of under?

I should have picked up on that. For some reason I saw it and it didn't even register... there also appears to be a pebble under the coil spring, wtf?

Who installed your springs again? Is the other side properly done with the coil retainer over the coil instead of under?

Yeah if i was a vender and he sent me that pick i would have told him to take a hike. Thats a clear lack of maintenance. We wheel, we beat on our junk, coils unseat, we maintain.

Op you've just dubbed yourself ignoramus anus status. maintain er die

Happy now? Maybe they got tired of your whining? It wouldn't surprise me if someone who works for Rubicon Express has seen this thread, and they are sitting in the office laughing their asses off at you for your sense of entitlement.

The bottom line is they offered to replace the part, and that wasn't good enough for you. Kick rocks buddy, you're lucky they even offered. Here's a little bit of info for you: parts wear out and break. It happens all the time. You act like that set of springs cost you thousands of dollars... replace it and move on.

That's the last wrap of the coil, not a pebble. And the retainer's over the spring, not under. How the hell would the coil even sit if it was on top of the retainer? The coil shifts around now that it's broken, and on lunch I noticed it's shifted its way clockwise so the break is now separated by about 1/4". The lowest wrap hasn't moved ... cuz it's UNDER the retainer.

If I read this correctly, RE will replace the damaged coil for free & pro-rate the 2nd coil for $50 after 3 years of use?
That sounds pretty fair to me.

Now on the subject of rust, I have lived in NY for my whole life & know all about salt & rust, But I have never seen rust like in your photo.
Did you ever wash the jeep??

Happy now? Maybe they got tired of your whining? It wouldn't surprise me if someone who works for Rubicon Express has seen this thread, and they are sitting in the office laughing their asses off at you for your sense of entitlement.

The bottom line is they offered to replace the part, and that wasn't good enough for you. Kick rocks buddy, you're lucky they even offered. Here's a little bit of info for you: parts wear out and break. It happens all the time. You act like that set of springs cost you thousands of dollars... replace it and move on.

Sense of entitlement? I want nothing. Whining? I'm informing, not whining. They didn't have to offer me even one coil, but they did, and marked their offer with concerns. I don't want an offer with a "but", I want a complete offer or no offer at all. Even if I got a free set of coils, which I saw no reason why I should until CS voiced their "concerns", I'd probably give them away and buy from somewhere else. I stated early on that they wouldn't get any more of my money if they can't back up their products against road conditions ... that's the message here. Not "I want" not "you owe me", just "bad experience, moving on." This thread is getting old. Thanks for reminding me why I once ceased sharing information with the ignorant masses.

Back