• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Rubicon Express customer testimonial ...

Sense of entitlement? I want nothing. Whining? I'm informing, not whining.
No, you want them to run their business your way, and should run major recalls and research on a problem you had. Not saying it hasn't happened, but you are the first person I have heard/seen with broken RE coils. I have had my RE 4.5 coils for over 5 years, and they are still intact.

TrueBlueXJ said:
I stated early on that they wouldn't get any more of my money if they can't back up their products against road conditions ... that's the message here. Not "I want" not "you owe me", just "bad experience, moving on." This thread is getting old. Thanks for reminding me why I once ceased sharing information with the ignorant masses.
I live in MA, we have harsher winters and worse road salt. I also live on a peninsula, and the salt air does a number on our cars down here. On top of that, I have driven my Jeep on the beach covered in salt for the past 5 years. I would say my road conditions are a lot more harsh than yours. Guess what, my RE products are still holding up against the road conditions.

This thread is just correcting your incorrect perception of reality.

Sell your Jeep and go buy a Honda!

Better yet, a Toyota. That way he can really have fun with getting a product that doesn't work.

If I read this correctly, RE will replace the damaged coil for free & pro-rate the 2nd coil for $50 after 3 years of use?
That sounds pretty fair to me.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I would've jumped all over that offer.

I had my front Bilstein 5150s go out on me after just a year. But I'm not blaming anybody. That kind of stuff happens.

Thanks for reminding me why I once ceased sharing information with the ignorant masses.

You aren't sharing information, you are complaining plain and simple. Yes, you are sharing your experience, but it seems like you are only posting to badmouth a company for not bending over backwards to help you three years after you purchased something from them.

Glad we could remind you, perhaps now the world will be a slightly better place.

:wave1:

Personally, I don't care for the way you are handling this but that is your right and you clearly posted your rant on NAXJA to get other's point of view and I respect that. I suggest taking the replacement spring and buying a new one at a pro-rated discount. That is what we men do (as opposed to a whiney, Obama health care-voting, the world-is-not-fair, everbody-is-mean-to-me sort of way), and RE's response was very fair, IMO. Sorry about your problems and I do hope you find an amicable solution.

Your situation isn't that bad.

50 dollar pro rate?
Buy the replacement.

And yeah, stuff wears out.

I've learned that it's usually better to just not complain and replace the stuff your self. My dealings with RE was pointless, cause my lift is 2 years old.

Bite the bullet.

You aren't sharing information, you are complaining plain and simple. Yes, you are sharing your experience, but it seems like you are only posting to badmouth a company for not bending over backwards to help you three years after you purchased something from them.

Glad we could remind you, perhaps now the world will be a slightly better place.

:wave1:

No I think you got it all wrong Grimm, he posted his snivel on another smaller forum and they gave him advice:
Have you considered mentioning this on NAXJA, JeepForums, or Pirate4x4. I'm sure that will cause some attention.

But I will say it is great that he ceased sharing with us, his tearfull whine was getting old fast. Anyone find his thead on Pirate4x4, I would love to read how they rip into someone like this.

post#4

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/shocks-mono-tube-vs-twin-tube-re-6208/

He clearly states what happens, and his response. He doesn't try to dissuade the person from considering monotubes, by any means. I don't think he's doing anything differently than I would.

Though, being on the outside, I would say that getting one spring replaced will not have a detriment at all, as it'll eventually scrag and break-in, and you might simply have to run an extra isolater or something for a few months till it does...no biggie.

No way will I NOT do business with RE for the actions he's presented, but its still good to know, IMO...

cheers,
Brian

Last edited:
What if he sold his Jeep and bought a Toyota?

I am trying to sell mine :) Toyota that is, would never sell the Jeep.

And about this whole thing, I can see the dudes point but I can also see that RE has done just what you'd expect a good company to do. If it were me I would have bought the other spring for $50 bucks and been happy, I def wouldn't wanna run one new spring and one old.

The fact that they were willing to do ANYTHING for you after 3 years of owning a part that sees a lot of stress is amazing to me. I would take their prorate offer and be happy to get a new set for $50.

That being said, I would never just replace one spring.

Replace the one spring
put it on the drivers side
Eat a few extra burritos
Get over it

RE never specifically stated how many out of the total sold set of springs actually broke. So out of say, a 1000 sold springs, 10 pop up that broke. It's probably small enough number to be categorized as "unusual breakage" or a bad spring that slipped thru QC. It isn't however, enough to be justified in redesigning or spending money to find out why it broke and how to fix it. IMO, it would probably be easier and cheaper to just warranty it and replace it. Some recalls from car manufacturers are only when deaths are imminent unless the amount to pay off the injured is less than finding a way to fix the problem in a vehicle. With that said, I would have taken Mike on the offer for a free spring. And I would have praised him for it considering it's a 3 year old spring.

From what I have been told the process that the coil company uses in making our coil springs is a cold wound process versus some that use a hot wound process.Here in California where there is milder climate and very little salting of roads it does not seem to affect the coils.We have hads a couple of incidents where this has happened previously but strangely it has only been on XJ's.I say strangely because this coil is used on both XJ's and TJ's.

:dunno:

I thought you were done sharing with us ignorant masses? I know all of us large nat'l groups can be a bit band-wagony...one person jumps in and say, y'know, I really think RE did alright here, and suddenly all of us are piling on. Or maybe it's because RE actually did handle this pretty well. :dunno:

Thanks for the info TrueBlueXJ. I know I'm feeling even better about my decision to go with Rough Country.

I can say with confidence that you likely wouldn't have any issues with your RE springs should you buy them. Nor would you have any problems with their service if you do have a problem, so long as you go in with realistic expectations.

I have RE 5.5" coils that I bought second hand about a year ago with no problems, RE 3.5" leafs that I bought 2.5 yrs ago new, and after they finally settled fully, no problems either.

I have always had great experience with Rubicon Express and will continue to use and recommend their products. :)

I saw some Rough Country drop brackets and braces the other day and thought they weren't quite as good as the RE. :(

Back