• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C to OBA swap

jpcherokeekid

NAXJA Forum User
So i finally started my a/c to oba swap the other day. My 94 had a different a/c compressor where the ports coming out the back are horizontal of each other instead of vertical and i could not find any addapters that would work with it. so i had to get a compressor from the junkyard. I found one that i pulled out of a 92 cherokee and it was the only one they had with the vertical mounting bolts to match the one i had on my jeep.

For the compressor i used You will need to get some 3/4 to 1/4 pipe reducers so that you can run the propper air fittings. i made everthing to work with 1/4in NPT fittings to keep things simmple. Since the compressor is normally lubricated by the freon you will need to put an in-line oiler on the suction side like i did here. i also ran a hose with a valve cover breather/filter over by the battery to draw in some relitively cool air. i found my in-line oiler at sears and it was about 12 bucks.

100_0796.jpg

For the discharge side of the compressor i used a some of brass fittings and tubes to help disipate the heat as you will eventually melt the air hose if you run it directly from the compressor. I set up a one way check valve that goes into the filter dryer which will catch the oil coming out of the compressor as you dont want the oil in your lines. The filter/dryer was only 11 bucks at lows and i had to get the check valve from OSH like 6 bucks.

100_0795.jpg

Underhood plumbing compleet. you will need about 30ft of air hose, i bought a roll of 50ft as it was only 15 bucks.

100_0794.jpg

I chose to run my air hose under my jeep because it was simple to do and will make any repairs much more easy. i drilled a hole in the grommet thats half hidden behind the taillight and ran a brass elbow through it so i wouldnt be pinching the hose and it looks neater.

100_0792.jpg

100_0791.jpg

I know my tank is small but it works for now. the hose goes into a T fitting where i have the safety pressure switch on as well(its hidding behind the pressure regulator) and the pressure regulator is only there teporarally as it will be run off a nother T fitting. i wil be getting an electric pressure switch to turn the compressor on and off when the pressure gets to a certain point in a couple of days and that will sit above the pressure valve on the end of that T fitting. i will post up a closer picture of that once i get it all finnished.

100_0790.jpg

i was able to test run it and so far it only takes 15 seconds to fill up my 1.5 gallon tank to 150 psi at an idle. will do a more extensive run when i get the pressure switch installed.:cheers:

Last edited:
awesome write up. i'm doing the same setup pretty much, but i didn't use an inline oiler, i throw some 10w30 down the pipe whenever i'm about to hit the trail, i didn't even know that an inline oiler existed, that's awesome, i'll hit my sears next time i'm at the mall.

great pics, thanks again.

Mostly the same as my setup.
I put a 1 gal. accumulator tank from Currie behind the rear bumper.
Also, I had a bracket made that allowed me to mount the Sanden compressor from an 87 YJ and mount it beside my stock A/C compressor.
Still have A/C, but with a switch on the dash, the compressor kicks in.
With a pressure switch, the A/C compressor turns on at 75 psi and turns off at 105 psi, which is perfect for the lockers.
EngineBay.jpg

ZJConsole.jpg

what is that on the intake side? it looks like an oil seperator to me, not an oiler.

also, it looks like you have an oiler on the output side? is that a filter, oiler, or seperator? just wondering for clarification...hopefully what it looks to me is wrong.

jeepcomj said:
what is that on the intake side? it looks like an oil seperator to me, not an oiler.

also, it looks like you have an oiler on the output side? is that a filter, oiler, or seperator? just wondering for clarification...hopefully what it looks to me is wrong.

The clear pod on the intake side is an oiler on the intake side(bottom) you just fill it up when it gets low, and the filter/seperator is the blue thing with the glass bowl hanging down(top), it looks like an oiler but it is a filter/seporator, it has oil in it from the compressor because thats what it does. it removes the oil before it gets to the air line.

I made mine almost identicall to this guys. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471962, it was the only helpfull information i could find.

Last edited:
lol. i know all of the tech, i just wanted to make sure I was wrong. how well does it work?

jeepcomj said:
lol. i know all of the tech, i just wanted to make sure I was wrong. how well does it work?

so far it works great but i wont know for sure till i get my electric pressure switch this weekend. i will post up again when i do and let yall know. Thanks .

Best
Mod
Evar
:thumbup:
Blows away an ARB, Viair, etc.
I can run a die grinder or impact with the 1 gallon tank if I keep the pump on and rev to 2000rpm.
Along with the Clayton suspension, the air lockers, and the 8.8...this is the best thing I have done to my heep.

ok so i got the rest of my tank fittings and my pressure switch installed (using a switch on my dash to turn the compressor on) and here is how it looks now. works really well with the pressure regulator too.
100_0797.jpg

And just to be safe i wanted to make sure my compressor will get enough oil so i installed another inline oiler. Now everthing is good to go:yelclap:
100_0799.jpg

Why wouldn't it work with the the lines on the back of the compressor being horizontal rather than vertical? I have heard a couple people get different compressors cause they werent vertical connections on the back of the compressor.

Jeepguy91 said:
Why wouldn't it work with the the lines on the back of the compressor being horizontal rather than vertical? I have heard a couple people get different compressors cause they werent vertical connections on the back of the compressor.

The reason it wont work, or at least not with mine, is that i was unable to find any pipe reducers that fit the threaded ports on the back. one was a 1/2in but the other was between a 1/2 and 3/4 npt and nobody around chico carries anything that fit that size. if you can get adapters then by all means use that compressor but i couldnt find any so i had to get the other compressor.

That is one nice heavy duty pressure switch :cheers:

HOUSEDIVIDED said:
bgcntry, how did you hook up the 2nd a/c compressor?

yeah i am intrigued as well, looks like a verry tight fit. got any more pics?

nice job on the compressor. im not sure if this is possible or not but ill throw it out there.... can you run a line from the bottom of the oil separator to the inline oiler in order to keep it constantly oiled....:dunno:

You're gonna want to switch that plastic air line after the separator to something that will take the heat better. If you get into some air tools or need to fill up several tires that will melt and blow the ends off quite smartly! Good job tho, double oiler is overkill tho, mine barely uses any even under heavy use. Better safe than sorry tho eh? And if your separator is a plastic bottle it will melt too, had to switch mine to an industrial metal bowl unit. Cheers. Oh and try a high idle switch to really boost the air flow, makes a huge difference.

tkjeeper said:
You're gonna want to switch that plastic air line after the separator to something that will take the heat better. If you get into some air tools or need to fill up several tires that will melt and blow the ends off quite smartly! Good job tho, double oiler is overkill tho, mine barely uses any even under heavy use. Better safe than sorry tho eh? And if your separator is a plastic bottle it will melt too, had to switch mine to an industrial metal bowl unit. Cheers. Oh and try a high idle switch to really boost the air flow, makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the imput, so far its working great. Yeah i will probly put in a seperate idle controll later this year. double oilers is overkill but not siezing the compressor is just one less thing to wory about. the air hose seems to be more affected by the underhood temps because it didnt get that hot, even after filling up 12 tires straight. hopefully my cowl induction hood scoop will help lower the underhood temps.

xSUx SGT BAKER said:
nice job on the compressor. im not sure if this is possible or not but ill throw it out there.... can you run a line from the bottom of the oil separator to the inline oiler in order to keep it constantly oiled....:dunno:

Thought about it but too lazy to try.

Back