• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 2dr 4wd vs. 99 4dr 2wd...

R_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
the current debate......
get a 97 2dr 4wd auto with factory skids, manual windows and needs a windshield. she needs a little tlc, but just elbow grease and small parts.
or get a 99 4dr 2wd auto with keyless entry, pristine shape, for 2-4hundred more and do the 4wd conversion.
i feel the 97 would be "easy" to work with, but the advantages of the 2wd 99 are hard to ignore. from the reading and pondering i have been doing on it, i should not have a huge problem with it seeing as i have a "donor" second gen xj to work with.
need some help.

been through 100+ pages searching.......still have no real answers to a few key questions.

1. tc speed sensor connectors the same on 2wd 97+ and 4wd 97+?
2. is there a need to swap tranny cpu's?
3. is there a need to swap any wiring harness?

i maybe overthinking the whole thing and need to just get the 2wd and do it.

You know how I feel about it so I wont chime in that regard, but........

Yes, take the tranny computer with the swap and you should be ok with the wiring harness. Also, I would wager that the speedo gear for a 2WD is not the same considering the 4WD uses a gear in the TC.

4 doors FTW. Screw a bunch of folding the seat forward.

Last edited:
soooo.....when i looked at the 2wd and made my offer, the old guy says " i reckon ill just keep it." two minutes later as im going back to my car he says " what will you give for it?"......so i believe i will go look at the 2wd with my cash that talks and if things dont work out....who knows.

he was a serious sales guy. kinda like that guy on friday " you gonna buy it today". i saw it friday and have been considering it still.

ill show up with the cash monday and that may make the difference.

Well your going to need a 99 4WD transmission to do the conversion.

Well your going to need a 99 4WD transmission to do the conversion.

i have a 98 4wd auto w/ sye231, 4.10's, longarms, 35's, everything except a top.

here is what i have now, 98, 4.0, aw4, sye231, 4.10's, longarms, etc.
downsized_0105091316.jpg

she runs and runs and runs, just want a closed cabin.

this is the 97 2dr 4x4...bare bones model...
0125091148.jpg

and this is the 99 4dr 2wd...loaded sport...
0125091153.jpg

i guess what i want to know is if anyone has done a 4x4 conversion to a 97+ using a 97+ as a donor with similar engine and trannies.

have searched and most of the threads are incomplete or filled with nay sayers.

I still prefer a 2DR because of what you can fit in the rear wheel wheels when trimming is a must.

in a xj with stock axles i wouldnt run anything larger than 35's.

this is going to be a mild wheeler/expedition rig and streetable third vehicle.

having wheeled and driven this 98 2door i rolled, i will get another 2dr if i have to but the increased rigity of 4 doors are appealing.

idk,

the work wont bother me.

get the 99, newer!

that what i was told.
the difference in price could be within $200 dollars after that red 2dr 97 gets a new windshield, and thats a no brainer right there.

pros----99 intake!
remote keyless!
desert sand pearlcoat with dark tints is pimp!
4doors!
1 owner!
southeast tennessee its whole life!
never been offroad!

the fight maybe over.........

if things go as planned, i will have to do a write-up with pics on the 4wd conversion. seeing as there is not a single comprehensive thread available.

that what i was told.
the difference in price could be within $200 dollars after that red 2dr 97 gets a new windshield, and thats a no brainer right there.

pros----99 intake!
remote keyless!
desert sand pearlcoat with dark tints is pimp!
4doors!
1 owner!
southeast tennessee its whole life!
never been offroad!

the fight maybe over.........

if things go as planned, i will have to do a write-up with pics on the 4wd conversion. seeing as there is not a single comprehensive thread available.

the 99 intake wont do you any good with the small exhaust ports on those heads.

i have a 98 4.0 thats stout, with 121k on the clock.

99 didn't have the 0331 head on them, thats the one with the small exhaust ports on it it has the 0630 which is esentially the same and 7120 that came on the earlier HO it just doesn't have the second CTS because it wasn't needed with OBD-2 system sot they gave it a new casting number because it technicly was a different casting

the heads with the same exhaust ports 0331 were only in 2000 and newer 4.0's

Backup Documentation
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

Back