• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd conversion trans and t/c questions

Rockpig

NAXJA Forum User
I have 1996 4.0 aw4 2wd xj that we converted to 4wd. The 98 231 has a different speedo plug than the 2wd one that plugged in the trans. Help needed to identify wires on the old plug that correspond to the pins on the 231. Plus one 2 pin plug that has no home with the 4wd setup. It appears I can’t post pics so I don’t know how to provide y’all more info.

To post pictures you have to host them somewhere else then you have to link your pictures to your post. Kinda sucks .

Yep to the above. For a 98 tranny to work in a 96 you have to switch the tailshaft reluctor and adaptor housing then change some of the wires. I run a 01 tranny in my 95.

I am checking to see what I have. It looks as though the 98 up has blue speed sensors…… others don’t know what years have black sensors. Can anyone enlighten me.

I am checking to see what I have. It looks as though the 98 up has blue speed sensors…… others don’t know what years have black sensors. Can anyone enlighten me.

98 and up have an additional input speed sensor on the drivers side up near the bell housing. Older just have the output speed sensor.

Note the extra speed sensor. The older rear sensor is physically longer and won't actually fit all the way into the hole on the 98+. The newer sensor will trigger the older computer though, just 4x as fast and you end up in 4th gear by the time you hit 20mph (btdt).

333380d1501269642-do-aw4-while-its-out-visio-aw4components.jpg

To deal with the different VSS plug you can either swap the VSS or splice the harness. Personally I'd just put your 96 VSS on the 98 transmission. I believe you can swap just the VSS without swapping the whole housing, so you shouldn't even need to clock the VSS housing correctly for the speedo gear tooth count you're using (unless you also take this opportunity to swap the whole VSS assembly and/or the gear, or a new gear, to compensate for different tire size or diff gear ratio.)

I see lawsoncl already covered the output speed sensor differences so I won't belabor that point.

Back