• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 2wd to 4wd wit 93 parts

amy_2cnnv

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. First time posting. I have tried searching through here and google but I can’t seem to find any information about whether or not this will work.

Here’s my situation. I have a 97 2dr 2wd MT. My dad bought it new and I learned how to drive in it so I don’t really wanna get rid of her. I found a 93 2dr 4wd MT that I want to use as a donor vehicle. My husband and I are looking to make Sissy (yeah that’s her name) into 4wd. Will this work? Or should I try to find something newer? We are supposed to pick it up in 2 days.

Thanks in advance

As far as I know it should work, you will have to do some wiring to makes the 4wd dash lights work if you want them to. Speed sensor may be an issue. Someone more familiar with MTs will surely chime in.

Sounds feasible to me. Both should be AX-15s. You will need to swap transmissions, but that should be a direct bolt-in.

Speed sensor will need to move from the 2wd transmission to the 4wd transfer case. Sensor might be different and wiring might need to be extended, but I don't think either of those should be a prohibitive problem.

I recommend ditching the OE transfer case linkage. You could probably transfer the pivot points over to the 2wd chassis, but something like the Boostwerks linkage would be much simpler and superior in operation.

I am not sure if the '97's 2wd console will allow you to gracefully add a shift lever in the console. You might want to look for a late model 4wd console. Folks who have late models can probably tell you more about what is needed for that aspect of the swap.

Also, do you know if the 4wd has the same rear end as the 2wd? Driveshaft lengths vary according to rear differential. If one has a D35 and the other a Chrysler 8.25 you will probably be looking for a different rear driveshaft.

Those are the only details that come to mind. Nothing that should prevent you from being able to do this, but things that you need to pay attention to and make sure you get right.

Back