• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Dream Build XJ

What about not paying 40k to build a xj that's on 1/2 ton axles and 35's. But to each his own

Very nice build but that's what I was thinking...lots of work for 35s. Why did you stick with 35s? Could have went 37s on those axles or went 1 tons.

not defending the OPs choice of axles or tires... but i know here in Mi, you really got to travel to use a well built rig to its potential. most places can be tackled with 35s. but the OP does live in AZ...

regardless, its well built.

it appears he owns his own shop, i'm sure he didnt pay full price for labor or parts, or quite possibly bartered for some of it.

Very nice build but that's what I was thinking...lots of work for 35s. Why did you stick with 35s? Could have went 37s on those axles or went 1 tons.
he stated that he wanted a family rig. any wheeling i couldnt do with 35's is something i probably wouldnt be doing anyways with my kids in the car. if it were my rig, yea, it'd be more extreme, but for his intended purposes for it i do believe it will fit the bill nicely, and will look damn good doing it.

he stated that he wanted a family rig. any wheeling i couldnt do with 35's is something i probably wouldnt be doing anyways with my kids in the car. if it were my rig, yea, it'd be more extreme, but for his intended purposes for it i do believe it will fit the bill nicely, and will look damn good doing it.

camping and light wheeling with the family? ya... should hold up just fine on 35s.

the question is... towing it or driving it? if driving more than 2 people to go camping, i usually bring my little trailer. if thats the OP plan, i would have stuck with leafs in the back for light towing duties.

Well...I figured i would wait till i was pretty much done with my XJ before i posted the entire build from start to finish. Just like any build I had an idea of what i wanted it to preform and function like when i was done, but honesty...things can get a little out of control when your wife doesn't mind how much you spend on the jeep "as long as it has a roof rack and we can go camping some where fun"....lol!

I built another 96 XJ a couple of years ago and was, unfortunately, forced to sell it a little over a year & a half ago....(had an offer we couldn't refuse...at the time)

Here are a few photo's of it day's before my wife and i sold it...
Cherokee13.jpg

Cherokee25.jpg

[FONT=&quot]

Cherokee_96-9.jpg

Cherokee17.jpg
[/FONT]

I was just drooling over this while looking at it on Craigslist yesterday (it's for sale again). I showed it to my wife, and she just laughed when she saw the price and told me to keep dreaming.

Both of them are very nice, although I am partial to that dark blue color. You definitely pay attention to detail, very clean! :yelclap:

Thanks guys, and yes i have my own work shop which makes life a little easier...I was able to build it on my own time and make sure there weren't any corners cut...besides...everyone has there own addictions...mines just working on the jeep

as i said before, I wanted to build it from the ground up just the way my wife and i intend on using it...35" make life bearable on the Hwy...We have a set of 37" kevlars for all the shorter table mesa, smasher canyon & rubicon trips...but for the majority of camping a day runs the 35's do just fine

I couldn't believe it either! wishful thinking i guess...That dark blue was pretty nice, i miss that old beast...I'm pretty sure the guys looking for a motor home now

If you guys go to the news stands and check out the july issue of 4 Wheel Drive(came out this week)...There's a pretty good write-up on old blue..haven't had a chance to see it yet, but i know someone told me it's out

I was just drooling over this while looking at it on Craigslist yesterday (it's for sale again). I showed it to my wife, and she just laughed when she saw the price and told me to keep dreaming.

Both of them are very nice, although I am partial to that dark blue color. You definitely pay attention to detail, very clean! :yelclap:

Im in the planning stagging for a slightly more crazier rig. Would you recomend doing all the body work and then Mechanics.

I am planning making it look as pretty as yours by taking my time On everything and not cutting any corners. For example if i Get into working On it one day for 5 minutes and find out I dont have a little 1/4" bolt thats the right one Ill stop untill i Get the correct part. And once i tske her out and the body damages start to build up Ill chamge up the body from there. I too have a shop thats big enough to do the work properly in..

What helpful hints or tips you came give me. This Will be the first vehichle that i completly overhaul from top to bottom inside out.

Wow.... seriously. Both your builds are absolutely incredible. I just cant get over how attractive BOTH of those XJ are..... Very nice work.... I'm insanely jealous over your "allowed" budget on the build. Top notch gear, and first class workmanship. Congrats man.
That truly IS the kind of XJ dreams are made of.

- heated Recaro seats

Dude! Seriously? I mean...he lives in ARIZONA! :laugh3:

That rig IS the perfect family and camping vehicle...even if a major catastrophe, zombie outbreak or desaster of whatever kind happens during your camping trip you are still prepared for everything! :D

Load some guns and ammo in the trunk and you're good to go!

Of course! Racked & loaded..come on, I live in AZ! Lol! Its ready :cheers:

Dude! Seriously? I mean...he lives in ARIZONA! :laugh3:

That rig IS the perfect family and camping vehicle...even if a major catastrophe, zombie outbreak or desaster of whatever kind happens during your camping trip you are still prepar ed for everything! :D

Load some guns and ammo in the trunk and you're good to go!

Back