• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 tube welding

monkeyevil said:
The bead looks good, but your heavy on the tube side, shift the weld a little higher up the edge of the housing there... I would do 3 stitches about that length spaced around the tube on both sides. Alternate from side to side.

MIG is just fine. Pre-heat and throw a welding blanket over it to cool slow if your anal about it.

All the tubes I (and JCR) have ever welded have been with a MIG. We have NEVER had a failure... not even a crack. On our own rigs, or on a customers. Back in the day I shaved my 8.8 (totally cut the bottom out) and welded the tubes (all with mig) with no metal prep but whisking the rust off. Wheeled it for YEARS with no problems.

Cast steel is very different than cast iron. :chef:

Thanks for the input, I'll try and adjust up higher.

kid4lyf said:
You're right.
Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking on that post.
I know better, and now so do you.
I'm chalking mine up to age and a miss spent youth (who thought I'd need those brain cells some day) :dunno:

I don't know if I can chalk it up to age or a misspent youth, but all my guys say I'm generally grumpy and forgetful anyways.

RedHeapOjeep said:
I don't know if I can chalk it up to age or a misspent youth, but all my guys say I'm generally grumpy and forgetful anyways.
that's genetics.

Back