• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9 V-8 Magnum swap

i just found a entire zj limited with 170K good running shape for like 800$. probably already sold but its tempting. could have it all and then hopefully slap my atlas in behind it all...

definitely an easier swap with a ZJ limited. Starter is on the right side like the 4.0. Exhaust manifolds fit better. I am sure y pipe would fit right in. My XJ is a 2000, so to keep it emissions legal, had to go with same year or newer donor. Although probably could have run a zj limited setup with newer PCM. Cant change it now. Will continue the saga.

What kind of longarm setup are you running? I have a 97 ZJ with a 5.2 I picked up for a song. I have 2000 XJ with a RC longarm setup on it and the motor is starting to get loud. trying to decide between a stock 4.0 rebuild, 4.6 stroker or swapping in the 5.2. Have you had any issues with the transmission cross-member?

Haven't installed it yet, motor swap was first then the longarm. I have a core 4x4 long arm kit. I modified the stock crossmember for the swap. For the transmission I:
1. Took the mount that bolts to the dodge transmission modified it for 2 reasons..
a. to lower it to the height of the jeep mount (it sat about 1-2 inches higher)
b. narrowed the mounting points so the jeep transmission mount would bolt to it
(dodge mounting points were wider) probably could have just run the dodge
mount, but trying to keep everything I can xj for simplicity.
(remember this is the plate that bolts to the bottom of the tranny and then top of the tranny mount bolts to this plate)
2. When I installed the driveline an got it where I wanted it the back holes of the tranny mount lined up with the front holes in tranny crossmember. So I just extended the front of the crossmember and drilled 2 new holes. It would have been tought to push it back another 2.25 inches.

Also, If I were to do it again I would just modify the tranny plate and move where the tranny mount attaches back by 2-2.5 inches or so. That way I was only modifying 1 thing and since I modified it anyway.

I didn't bother checking where the dodge mount lined up on the crossmember, but it only mounts with 2 studs and like I said wanted the XJ mount with the 4 studs.

This is the tranny plate I modified (before mods) basically cut the ears off and lowered them and narrowed them so the mounting holes for the tranny mount were closer together to fit the xj mount.

Thanks man. Looks like I may need to redo my long arms anyways from the way RC's kit is done. I have been crunching numbers on a stroker build and the cost alone on that for what you get is stupid expensive.

That's why I didn't do a stroker, that and I wanted to try and do a v8 emissions compliant swap. I will say it would have been way easier in labor for the stroker, but I am doing everything myself so labor is only costing me my time. I work on it 2-3 days a week (average about 16-20 hrs per week on it) and am 3 weeks in. I am probably about 60-70 percent done. Working on the wiring right now. If the dang jeep had a removable engine/tranny harness like the dodge, I would be done. But the jeeps harness is not fully removable, so I am working in the engine bay doing the splicing.

That looks familiar!

fb09f62dbfa0f4324a15aa2776b4e95b.jpg

That's why I didn't do a stroker, that and I wanted to try and do a v8 emissions compliant swap. I will say it would have been way easier in labor for the stroker, but I am doing everything myself so labor is only costing me my time. I work on it 2-3 days a week (average about 16-20 hrs per week on it) and am 3 weeks in. I am probably about 60-70 percent done. Working on the wiring right now. If the dang jeep had a removable engine/tranny harness like the dodge, I would be done. But the jeeps harness is not fully removable, so I am working in the engine bay doing the splicing.

Ugh, I was planning on going down to pull apart in Birmingham tomorrow and pulling a wiring harness from another 2000 XJ. Didn't realize they didn't pull out that easy. I wanted to get a jump start on the wiring before pulling the motor.

I hear you, would have made it easier, but its actually not that bad with the motor out. I spent about 30 hours going over the Factory service manuals (pinouts and schematics) and making notes. Actually I had it all done on paper before even getting into it. That made it that much easier once I dove in.

I worked on the actual splicing and running wires and delooming and relooming. For about 4.5 hours. Probably have another 2 to make it perfect. I wont reloom it all until I fire it up (just in case). The notes I have are to merge a 2000 XJ 4.0 harness to a 2001 dodge ram 5.9 harness (both with CA emissions), throwing it out there if anyone wants a copy of them.

PM me your email, I will send it to you. Also looks like you have a 2000 XJ well? I will send you a link to download my copy of the Factory Service Manual as well. It was too large to email, so I uploaded it and anyone with the link can download it.

I wonder if swaping from a ram or dakota would make a manual trans available for us cal smog legal guys. I know when swapping a 5.3 the only cal legal swap is auto. 3500 or 4500 would be a nice option.

I never read anything about the transmission affecting smog legality? I was auto trans so staying with it. If I had the AX-15, I could have kept it by using a bellhousing from a v8 manual dakota. Would have preferred that, but auto it is.

Yeah thats what im saying. Ive read a few places that the 5.3 was never offered with a manual. Therefore in a cal leagal swap it makes in a non option. The 5.9 was a available with a few manual trans in a few different vehicles. Making it more appealing to me who prefers a manual.

Getting close. Motor in for good now. Wiring done, just have to finish plugging some stuff in. Next is cooling system. Once that is done will move on to exhaust, I am sure I will have to modify it.

So got all the electrical done under the hood except the starter and starter relay. Need a longer starter wire. Also got all of the vacuum lines connected and the heater hoses plumbed. Working on shifter cable bracket placement and need to shorten transfer case shifter linkage. These should be easy. Ordered some power steering fittings. Lines wouldn't fit due to clearance issues between gearbox and pump. Also decided to replace some stuff in trans and adjust bands so need to finish that. Will keep everyone posted. Week or two and I will be running!

Back