• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9 V-8 Magnum swap

I think the Ram and Dakota are the same manifolds, I could be wrong, the the starter is on the DS on my Dakota 5.2.

If you want to use stock manifolds you will end up having to either move the motor forward, modify the firewall, or both.

My recomendation is the use block hugger headers, the forward motor mounts, and make a cross over pipe. That's how I did it and it wasn't the end of the world.

I'm glad I used a ZJ motor. It damn near bolted in.

Ram, Dakota, and durango are the same manifolds, not sure about the crossover pipes. I have many choices. I will test fit once the motor is in place. I have the ram manifolds, zj manifolds (cant use driver, but may use passenger side). I have late 80s van manifolds (center dump), and have block hugger headers. Trying to keep it 50 state legal, but if I cant and have to use the headers then I will.

I have a 5.9 as well. ZJ trans and ZJ 5.2 stock manifolds, and y pipe. no mods to firewall, but did have to "adjust" the right side framerail for room for the collector. Just a few love taps with a BFH did the trick

I've had cooling problems in the summer since day one. Can't get a big enough radiator in there. Currently running a Novac rad, shroud and 3 elec spal fans.

why would headers not be 50 states legal?

If they're not certified 50 states legal, they're not.
Not to say you wouldn't pass emissions in all 50 states, just that if they're not certified legal, they can't say 50 states legal.

In California, it wouldn't pass visual inspection with the headers installed. I know there is no difference in "emissions", but with the motor swap, a referee station has to inspect it and with headers, won't pass.

Not good to hear about the radiator, I have already purchased the same setup. Aluminum radiator and triple fan kit. Are you running an auto tranny? If yes is it cooled by the radiator?

I ran an external trans cooler. I wanted to keep as much heat out of the radiator as possible.

Not good to hear about the radiator, I have already purchased the same setup. Aluminum radiator and triple fan kit. Are you running an auto tranny? If yes is it cooled by the radiator?
Yes, auto with separate trans cooler as Novack does not offer integral coolers.

My 5.2L has no issues with over heating. I run a stock XJ core with custom tanks, the trans cooler is built in. The stock XJ fan flows tons of air, far more than the aftermarket fan next to it.

Yes, auto with separate trans cooler as Novack does not offer integral coolers.

I really like the new novak rads. I just put one in my 350 xj, and it keeps it ice cold.

It looks like the Novak is a direct bolt in. If the stock fan will fit I'd use it and an aftermarket fan next to it.

On mine the OEM fan alone will keep the temps down in all but the worst situations. The aftermarket fan on the other hand will not get the job done alone. I do have them both kick on at the same time for simplicity though.

The OEM fan really does pull a lot of CFM though. Cheap to boot, especially if you already have one.

Engine side of motor mounts done adjustable forward and back about 2 inches. Still need to take pictures of the modifed frame side mounts, but used the stock ones and modified them.

Can you bolt a aw4 to the 5.9?

Back