• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.9 V-8 Magnum swap

AW4 won't bolt to the magnum motors. I am running the 5.9 and 46re from the donor Ram truck. Jeep transfer case will bolt directly to the dodge transmission. At least mine did depends on input shaft of the transfer case, but my 2000 was the same as the dodge unit.

Good to know on the tranny situation. So i could keep my xjs atlas if i ever did this. Would you say this is easier and cheaper than a 5.3 gm swap based on your research ?

Btw i love this build killer work dude !

I say absolutely cheaper. Some people will say it is cheaper and easier for a chevy swap because there are no aftermarket parts for the magnum swap, but no way. Especially if you are doing the fab work/welding yourself. All the chevy stuff you can buy, but it adds up.
Pros for Magnum swap vs Chevy swap
1. Fuel system - No change, 4.0 fuel pump will feed the 5.9 and all fuel connections are the same. Unplugged the 4.0 fuel line at the frame and plug in the 5.9 line (you can see the fuel line hanging in my transmission crossmember picture). Chevy would require different fuel pressure/pump maybe connectors/lines, not sure.
2. Electrical - As long as the new PCM is the same buse (mine is CCD), its fairly easy. Yes you have to dig through the service manuals and figure out what wires to splice together, but they are almost the same inputs outputs and the dodge PCM will run the jeep guages. Chevy, you would need aftermarket guages or the ones from a donor truck.
3. No adapter for the transfer case to transmission. I already had a SYE, and was able to keep my transfer case. Adapter for the chevy is about $500 easy and then more work to change input/output shaft to match each other.
4. I used advance adapters universal mopar motor mounts and modified them. Once I pull the motor the final time, I will post pictures. Probably could have made them myself.
5. I did buy a custom aluminum radiator and triple fan kit, but the stock one is not going to cool any V-8, so no way around that unless I modified the radiator support for a ram/grand cherokee radiator to fit, but the XJs just don't have much room for a larger radiator. I didn't want to skimp on cooling.
6. I haven't worked out all the little details for instance the shifter bracket will have to be modified, it is a cable shifter so just finding the right spot to mount the bracket should be easy. The transfer case is about 3 inches forward from original location, but for shifter, just modify the bracket and drill a hole 3 inches back for the new pivot point the shift linkage should have that much adjustment in it.
I bought a 70k super clean motor (2001) for $600 and a complete running 140K 4x4 truck (2001) with a spun bearing for $600. Spent about $700 on the radiator, custom shroud, and triple fans. 170ish on the motor mounts. I have about 2K into it, But Still have a whole parts truck to sell and the good drivetrain that came out of the jeep. I could have saved on the radiator, but did go with a high end griffin aluminum. I will actually still meet California emissions too.

Will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Also, tell me what a 70k 5.3 is going to cost you. I looked when I was researching the swap it was more than 600. I would say it is a good swap for the cost, I won't get the power or mpg of a 5.3, but will be 40 more HP and 110 lb/ft more. Also the 5.9 torque curve vs the chevy is lower and comes quicker off idol (at least compared to the 5.7 of the same era). If you youtube dodge vs chevy and find a race between trucks of the same year (99 or so) The dodge will beat the chevy stoplight to stoplight, but after that it is chevy. My guess is mileage will be about the same. I was getting 15 on the highway with my 4.0 with 33s and 4.56 gears.

This is pretty sweet swap. I might eventually be looking into a 5.9 now. Youre right on the motor mounts id probably just build some at that point

ZJ mounts damn near bolt in.

I have a 5.2 in my 86.

I have heard that about ZJ mounts, was worried about exhaust, but I think they would have worked. Biggest problem mounting the engine using the "ear" mounts up front is the steering box and shaft are in the way of the frame on the drivers side. Ended up fitting nicely. Even the Ram manifolds cleared the firewall. I did clearance a little with a big hammer.

ZJ mounts, ZJ manifolds, ZJ steering gear, ZJ y pipe.

I think using a ZJ donor simplified my swap. I had a line on a 5.9 but the 93 fell in my lap for $400 running. The 46RH trans was the deal closer for me.

38ea333bc5a16c5c52be1494c6c399a9.jpg

Back