• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.0L in '89 auto

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone out there make an adapter to mate a 5.0L Mustang to an aw4 tranny (mine's an '89 auto with a recently replaced tranny)? I'm getting a rebuilt engine and since I have to spend the money (keeping in mind, I'm hoping not to go much over 1500) I figured I would at least explore my options.

Now, for all those who might jump on this post, just a few notes:
1.) I've searched...looked like novak had one according to someone else, but i couldn't find it on their site
2.) I love the 4.0, just trying to get an idea of whether I could do anything else
3.) I don't have the money/interest in stroking the engine right now (no offense to those that already have 'em- I think they're friggin' sweet :wave: )

I can also get a ZJ 5.9L for the same price as the 4.0, but I'm pretty sure I would need a new tranny/tcase in order to make that work?

advance adapters dot com

you cant keep the aw4, but you can bolt a c-6 or th700 to your t-case

Last edited:
get an running 5.0 out of a wrecked mustang (strangley common everywhere) and a trans from... i dont know. would there be a difference putting a t-case on a 2wd trans?

Advanced Adapters does not make anything for a 5.0L to AW4 adapter. I called and they told me that they do not have any adapters b/c it is too electronic.

streetpirate said:
advance adapters dot com

you can't keep the aw4, but you can bolt a c-6 or th700 to your t-case

Please read carefully...

That said, it's a matter of finding a trans that AA can work with to mate to the transfer case.

Just buy a 5.0 from an F-150/250. You'll get a 4 speed OD auto and a stronger T-case as well. Avoid the manual trans trucks, as the Mazda tranny in the half ton units is not the best. The ZF in the 3/4 ton units will have a 5.6 to 1 first gear which is nice, and the tranny is rated at 420 ft/lbs.

If you are gonna do this, you may as well go with a 5.8 liter Ford from the same truck, as the dimensions are pretty close to the 5.0........

collegeoffroad said:
any ideas about reliability of c-6 or th700? I couldn't find anything in a search
both are good trannys with good aftermarket.

collegeoffroad said:
which is a bloody shame, because they make one for an AX15 :rattle:

I would hesitate about bolting a 5.0 to an AX-15. You would have to be pretty easy on it. I would much sooner go with a C-6. Remember just because someone makes an adapter doesn't necessarly make it good.

So you guys are recommending running a non-OD tranny?

That seems like 1 step forward and two steps back, unless it's a trail only rig.

perhaps we need to know a little more about this truck's uses?

IcedXJ said:
Advanced Adapters does not make anything for a 5.0L to AW4 adapter. I called and they told me that they do not have any adapters b/c it is too electronic.
I have always been under the impression that while the AW4 is electronic the only inputs from the motor that it reads is the TPS, TV cable, and maby the crank sensor. All of which would be farly easy to make adaptors for to make them work corectly.

CRASH said:
Just buy a 5.0 from an F-150/250. You'll get a 4 speed OD auto and a stronger T-case as well. Avoid the manual trans trucks, as the Mazda tranny in the half ton units is not the best. The ZF in the 3/4 ton units will have a 5.6 to 1 first gear which is nice, and the tranny is rated at 420 ft/lbs.
What years is the ZF tranny in? I have an '89 F-250 (2WD) with 5.0 and a five-speed. It's too nice to cannibalize for my XJ, though.

CRASH said:
So you guys are recommending running a non-OD tranny?

That seems like 1 step forward and two steps back, unless it's a trail only rig.

perhaps we need to know a little more about this truck's uses?

no trail only rig here...DD all the way. At this point, I use it for some light wheeling around the George Washington National Forrest and since I live near Crozet, I'm hoping to get into going over there as well. Other than that, I usually spend time driving to ski, hike, etc. so a good bit of highway driving. I don't necessarily need a v8, just figured I'd look into it since I have to swap the engine anyway.

Found this site in all my searching, that seems to have pretty comprehensive information about doing a swap in our beloved XJs. Looks like the small block chevy is their engine of choice, mated to a corresponding chevy tranny. Of course, reading it has made me rethink how much this might all end up costing. Right now, I can get a chevy small block v8 for around $400 cheaper than the 4.0L (both remanufactured long blocks). I guess I really just need to figure out how much beyond that 400 it would cost to do this?

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm

Looks like most of the chevy trannies will mate up with my NP242

try to find a decent vortec 350, get the long block use the gmpp intake or adapt the eldebrock airgap intake for a gm tbi unit. you can have alot more power 280hp and 390lbs tq run a 4x4 700r4 and a sblazer transfer case or a ful size transfer case. and i think the 242 is the transfer case in the h1 hummers so it cant be that weak. cost wise might be more but the end result will be awesome. the tbi is easy to wire up and all of the electronics are cheap and avalible at any autozone or other parts house. gm sbc parts are half the cost of a mopar parts. plus chevy engine parts are almost totally interchangeable in all the gen 1 sbc

I know you said no to a stroker, but you'd have to find all the right equipment, in great condition, to even come close to that $1500 budget. You're not going to significantly affect the life of your driveline with a stroker unless you push it hard all the time - in which case, even a stock 4.0 w/bolt-ons (like mine) will stress the shit out of your drivetrain/mounts (primarily the mounts & t/c).

700r4's are available with od. and lock up TC are available aftermarket. i beleive its a pretty long tranny though.

ttu.or said:
you can have alot more power 280hp and 390lbs tq run a 4x4 700r4 and a sblazer transfer case or a ful size transfer case. and i think the 242 is the transfer case in the h1 hummers so it cant be that weak. cost wise might be more but the end result will be awesome.

h1 t-case is very much stronger, and doesnt have a 2wd option. i really really really want one. thats when i will put a 8000rpm small block in my xj.

imagine being able to burn all four with 275/50/15's at 30mph! reched excess, the american way.

Back