• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bound up torque converter. Aw4 pump replacement

Rotorwash

NAXJA Forum User
Put in rebuilt engine , I thought the tc was fully seated. Visually looked like it was in 1/2" inside the housing. Seated the engine to tranny. Seemed to go ok. Tc doesn't spin to align to flexplate. Obviously I didn't have the tc fully seated.

Pulled the engine downward 1/4" or so. Best I could get without removing it again. No turning the tc still.

I need this thing to be reliable when I'm done. Should I replace the aw4 pump and TC. And where do I buy a new tranny pump?

I got away lucky last time. It acted weird. Shifted really funky from stops but was drivable. This is motor swap #5 since then and somehow I did it again.

What should I be looking at for damage? Just a torn up seal and broken splines?

Did you ever run the motor? On the trans output there are 2 sets of splines and one 2-eared dog to engage. Just inspect the seal for damage!

This time I have not, but on previous installs since the last time I pinched it together I have. Reset it and it worked ok. Same tranny. Just shifted weird off a stop. But I drove it 30,000 km like that. Not sure if I damaged anything that time and I'll pull tranny today and check seal and reset the tc. I'd just hate to get it all back together and then pull it cause I ruined the pump

Thanks!

I pulled the motor back out and everything looks fine. How far should the TC bosses be inside the bellhousing? I'm measuring 5/8". I cant seem to get it any deeper than that.

The FSM calls for .650"

I got away lucky last time. It acted weird. Shifted really funky from stops but was drivable. This is motor swap #5 since then and somehow I did it again.

Did you adjust the TV cable?

5 motors? Tell us more! What year is your XJ?

Nope. I did not. I just drove it.

It went wore out factory engine to junk yard engine. To stroker. Stoker made metal and was pulled. Redone and installed. Made metal again. Hunting season came and JY motor went back in. And now stroker is going back in.

In the future, what I do to avoid this is only tighten the bolts by hand until they are fully seated. I start with the converter as fully seated as possible (the 0.65"/5/8 or so number sounds about right) and mate it up, get the bolts started, make sure the back of the transmission is at a bit of a down angle so any shaking will not be as likely to dislodge the converter, then give it a solid shake. Check that the converter is still seated, tighten the bolts by hand, shake it a bit again. Repeat until it's pretty much done, making sure the converter spins independently of the flexplate at every round. This seems to get the converter snout to slowly work its way into the crank pocket without any drama and prevents me from crushing the transmission pump drive gear with the converter snout using the bolts to pull the two sides together. Takes a little more time but I generally only have to do it once.

These are all valid points. As for the cable adjustment, I swapped that junkyard motor back in on a Friday night and had a nice buck in the back and black bear on the roof rack by noon Saturday. Then parked it again until I got the stroker built again. It was get it done and over with thing.

If I would have taken the truck and scratched it up my wife would have flayed me.

On a bonus note. This motor fired up and is purring like a champ. Just the minor throttle application to move it out of the shop at work and it spits gravel everywhere. I can't wait to break it in and see what it will do

So I fired it up and it ran ok. Oil pressure was a solid 1 bar. Replaced the sender. Proper oil pressure.

Burped the coolant , checked for leaks and went for a drive.

About 5km in at highway speed it made a squeak and shut off. Coasted to a stop and it fired back up. Turned around and drove home. While off the gas the rpm Fluctuated 900-1100 in pulses. Got it back to work and looked everything over. Seems ok. Weird issues. Any insight?

Again, what year?

What kind of squeak? I'm also curious what year, but more curious about what kind of squeak. We talking a belt squeal, accessory bearing going bad, flexplate grinding against something, some weird vacuum system noise (maybe a blend door servo or the brake booster pushrod seals? I've had a really bad booster pushrod seal cause similar surging or stalling issues before), or what?

If you run out of ideas I'm only a couple hours from the other side of the border, swing on by anytime.

Thanks guys! It's a 99 sport. It was like a loud split second chirp then just off. At first I thought seized up. Maybe a belt squeal for a split second. It was so quick. Upon stopping I cranked and fired right back up. After that it does the 200 rpm surge. Maybe a 3 second frequency.

Tomorrow I'm going to go out and run it hard and see what it does.

I gave it a good run today. All seems pretty good. Some wild shifting into passing gear and it feels like the transmission is a bit sluggish. But it was like that before hand

Back