• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 Documentary intro video, check it out

DrMoab said:
4X4 world isn't wheeling?

Besides. I was only joking with you. It does look good. But if it were me and I was doing a video documenting the use of 4x4s I would put more then 17 seconds of video in a two minute clip showing the actual use of 4x4s.

thats what the extra 2 hours at the end of that is for ;)

HeavyMetal said:
thats what the extra 2 hours at the end of that is for ;)
Ok....I have a two hour movie staring Angolina Jolie. The two minute introduction will have nothing but Rosie O'Donell in a Bikini.

Would you watch it? :D

Seriously though....Just playin with ya.

HeavyMetal said:
ive always liked rosie in a----OH just kidding? nvm nothin
How bout Leather??? :D
exit1.jpg

My personal opinion is that there are a lot of really good vids to be seen/had/purchased/rented/etc., but the thing that stops me from even watching more than a few seconds, and certainly has stopped me from buying is the music(and I use that word loosely too). Not everyone who would enjoy a vid such as this would get past the first scene when the rap/new wave/ or what ever it is called this week starts blaring out. What is wrong with leaving in the engine sounds? the creaking and moaning of parts being drug across rocks or suspension/drivetrain parts going boom? If there is offensive language on the footage then by all means blot it out,
We all like to watch others on obstacles, just some of us real gearheads would rather hear it too.

where is there any trendy new wave or rap in the video? i dont get it

IMO i dont think the intro of a movie should just be raw unedited wheeling footage. i know what youre saying though. rest assured this isnt a generic wheeling video someone put together with windows movie maker. there'll be a whole aspect to it not displayed in the intro

I did not mean to imply there was in THIS intro, just that all the vids you see online, or available for purchase are blaringly overwhelmed with music that may or may not be what the watcher/listener is "into". So why alienate a large audience base just because of wrong choice of music?

I watched the intro again and once again I must ask; Why should all docu/filmmakers blast music in the opening? Can you not narrate a witty and pre-exciting prelude into what is about to happen? I don't mean to be critical of you or your methods, but you did ask for opinions did you not?
I am pleased to see that you have used a quality camera, operated by someone who undoubtedly hates jerky fuzzy vid as much as I do. Nice steady hand. Please keep us up to speed on future installments

Last edited:
The title graphic looks well done. I think your on the right track. Some people can't tell that this is the intro to the film not a trailer with highlights. Should be sweet. I'm gonna be doing something similiar out here in AZ. As far as the music copyright, if it is classified as a school project and goes no further in the money making aspect, you have nothing to worry about. Your protected as a student. Just when you decide that people really like it and they want to buy it, then either hire a composer, get royalty free music (which I never really like) or shell out a little cash to the artists (some will let you even use it for free depending on their notoriety).

Bob Myers said:
My personal opinion is that there are a lot of really good vids to be seen/had/purchased/rented/etc., but the thing that stops me from even watching more than a few seconds, and certainly has stopped me from buying is the music(and I use that word loosely too). Not everyone who would enjoy a vid such as this would get past the first scene when the rap/new wave/ or what ever it is called this week starts blaring out. What is wrong with leaving in the engine sounds? the creaking and moaning of parts being drug across rocks or suspension/drivetrain parts going boom? If there is offensive language on the footage then by all means blot it out,
We all like to watch others on obstacles, just some of us real gearheads would rather hear it too.
I have seen both kinds. No actually three kinds.

A few years ago a wacky old dude called Mr Ed did videos. All there was on his was motor sounds and his stupid wife.

Then there are Rick Russel videos with his bluegrass and other weird music

And then the new style videos with modern rock or heavy metal music.

being a Hard rock music kind of guy this is what I like to watch. Not through the whole movie mind you but spread throughout and mixed in with motor sounds is best.

To me it just gives it some entertaining value.

DrMoab said:
being a Hard rock music kind of guy this is what I like to watch. Not through the whole movie mind you but spread throughout and mixed in with motor sounds is best.

X2
watching the "real sound" video also helps people that haven't got a whole lot of experience, just because they can see AND hear how much throttle is being used. (like bumping onto an obsticle, sometimes you have to bump and let off, sometimes you have to bump and stay in it..) I sure hope that made sence...

:cheers:

DrMoab said:
Not through the whole movie mind you but spread throughout and mixed in with motor sounds is best.

To me it just gives it some entertaining value.

I do agree that some is good. Most of the ones I have seen of recent have the music at full volume, and all ambiant noise is wiped out. A lower volume, less overwhelming approach would be interesting. Since I am not a movie maker, just a person with an opinion( not a very popular one either)I would not undertake a sample of what i mean, I wouldn't know the first thing about editing.

jeepinandy said:
X2
watching the "real sound" video also helps people that haven't got a whole lot
of experience, just because they can see AND hear how much throttle is being
used. (like bumping onto an obsticle, sometimes you have to bump and let off,
sometimes you have to bump and stay in it..) I sure hope that made sence...

I wish I had said that in the first post I made. That really sums up my thoughts.

Last edited:
i think the best videos are the ones with some good music ( i dont care what genre but screaming and rap just dont fit with offroadin IMHO) in the background, and the sounds of the actual wheeling in the forground. i like to hear the spotters and the engine and all the tweeks and clunks, it makes it more realistic

Bob Myers
quote:
"So why alienate a large audience base just because of wrong choice of music"?
unquote:

tell that to hollywood......I beleive it's called demographics

also. define "wrong"

there is no one music that will appeal to everyone on earth. if you choose music, youre alienating someone by default.

its going to have a wide mix (no screamo or rap or any such stuff that totally works against wheeling IMO)

in fact i just started the opening sequence of the documentary and its using a music piece from blackhawk down with a voiceover. like i said, it isnt a generic pop-rock wheeling video off youtube ;)

i just happen to ironically host it on youtube to save bandwidth on my server.. haha

Last edited:
brad paisly: mud on the tires (its a good, upbeat song even though its kind of, well, mushy)

Trace Adkins: rough and ready

Jason Aldean: hicktown

alan jackson: chattahoochie (classic!!)

if i made a video, those songs would be in it
like i said though, if you have sounds of the crunching and creeking, and the spotters talking, throw them in over the music, it adds to the excitement

Last edited:
the intro looks great. Im looking forward to the rest, keep us posted please.

When deciding betwen the article "a" and "an" before an acronym, it depends on how the following word is pronounced. In this case, it should be "An S.I.S. Production"....unless it's pronounced as a word (i.e. "sis" as in "sister"). It's just like "a AAA membership." The "AAA" is read as "triple A", not "a..a..a".

Back