• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link rear MJ coming soon

AZXJ said:
I have seen captured coils like you pictured launch out from under vehicles.
Am I missing something?
How would a captured coil leave the vehicle?
The word "captured" being part of the phrase and all.

AZXJ said:
I have seen captured coils like you pictured launch out from under vehicles.
This would be my impression of unsafe.. Also, stock XJ or MJ coils will not give you the lift you have now... After playing with MJ, XJ, and TJ coils I went with a 3 inch lift XJ coil for the height I needed..

Keep up the Great work Brett.. your Rig is really taking shape...
I just wish I had time to finish mine... lol...

Crash, Be one with the Sawzall.... She's your friend......
Stay tunned to my next project... One fugly 94 XJ

later
DaveO

Just run a limit strap down the center of the coil of you're worried about it.
Billy

CRASH said:
This project is gay unless you cut the frame at the cab.

Be one with the Sawz-All.

Embrace the tube bender.

Your aura will glow brightly.

CRASH

werd.gif
It'd be so much cleaner!
Billy

BrettM said:
i know... i know... this project may get put off until the fall and then cut it at the cab...

arg

I think you'll regret doing anything less. I also don't see the point in doing all that work if you're not going to shorten the wheelbase to at least 105"

Paul

I hate to be another sheep, but design your ideal suspension and make the Jeep fit around it. The gas tank and frame rails should be easy to deal with later.

-Jon

Kaczman said:
I hate to be another sheep, but design your ideal suspension and make the Jeep fit around it. The gas tank and frame rails should be easy to deal with later.

-Jon

Embrace the sheep, Jon.

CRASH

Paul S said:
I think you'll regret doing anything less. I also don't see the point in doing all that work if you're not going to shorten the wheelbase to at least 105"

Paul
this presents a new question; what would ideal wheelbase be? I would anticipate that my wheeling over the next few years will be average about 4 trips a year to Rubicon, 4 a year to Fordyce, 4 a year to Moonrocks, and 1 a year to JV.

I have found the current 115 to climb really well which I want to keep to a degree, and turn radius is rarely an issue since the rear is narrower and very flexy, but what has been an issue is vulnerability of the rear driveshaft.

I tend to think ~108 would be the ideal compromise of all those things, or even leave it at 115 and get a 2 piece rear driveshaft to better protect it.

I think anything over 110" is too much. No direct experience. But I wheel with alot of Toys and they have such a harder time. Climb good, but turn like trash. FarmerMatt mentioned to me that his 109" WB on the cat was too long. He is going to drop it to 105" with the new rear end.

When I do mine, 105" is where I plan on sitting.

BrettM said:
this presents a new question; what would ideal wheelbase be? I would anticipate that my wheeling over the next few years will be average about 4 trips a year to Rubicon, 4 a year to Fordyce, 4 a year to Moonrocks, and 1 a year to JV.

I have found the current 115 to climb really well which I want to keep to a degree, and turn radius is rarely an issue since the rear is narrower and very flexy, but what has been an issue is vulnerability of the rear driveshaft.

I tend to think ~108 would be the ideal compromise of all those things, or even leave it at 115 and get a 2 piece rear driveshaft to better protect it.

For CA trails I think it would be hard to beat the stock XJ WB. I don't think it would hurt to go a little longer, but I don't think it would help either. I can't think of anywere on the 'Con or Fordyce where a short WB (even TJ length) is a problem, & I can only think of a few places on the Hammers that 101" feels short, but even those spots are doable.
On the other hand, I think it would be quite a bit more work getting around the Hammers with 35's & a 109" WB.

Paul

Paul S said:
For CA trails I think it would be hard to beat the stock XJ WB. I don't think it would hurt to go a little longer, but I don't think it would help either. I can't think of anywere on the 'Con or Fordyce where a short WB (even TJ length) is a problem, & I can only think of a few places on the Hammers that 101" feels short, but even those spots are doable.
On the other hand, I think it would be quite a bit more work getting around the Hammers with 35's & a 109" WB.

Paul

Unless you have a Camper Special.

CRASH

AZXJ said:
Keep up the Great work Brett.. your Rig is really taking shape...
... lol...

BrettM said:
i know... i know... this project may get put off until the fall and then cut it at the cab...

arg

Scrappy said:
I think anything over 110" is too much.

No direct experience.

When I do mine, 105" is where I plan on sitting.

I'll sure be glad when Brett and Scrappy actually have their rigs done. I get a kick out of reading all the technical advice that comes from a guy that runs leaf springs and another that drives a stock YJ. :moon:

:laugh: :laugh: :wave:

you know I love you guys...... :D

Goatman said:
I'll sure be glad when Brett and Scrappy actually have their rigs done.

Hey now! my rig is "done" in the sense that I had a ton of fun with it at MoonRocks last weekend :) And am going to take it to either Fordyce, Rubicon or Hell Hole for a day trip tomorrow :)

bring that fat-ass, CTM and hub breaking junk up here and lets do some wheelin :laugh3:

and speaking of never being "done" with a rig, aren't you getting ready to fit up some coilovers up front?

CRASH said:
This project is gay unless you cut the frame at the cab.

Be one with the Sawz-All.

Embrace the tube bender.

Your aura will glow brightly.

CRASH
like this???
IMG_0473.jpg

Goatman said:
I get a kick out of reading all the technical advice that comes from a guy that runs leaf springs...

He's going to need those to get some stability back after he screws up the design in back. :D

Looks like it's nicely done. I want to tube out one of my MJ's one of these days, but I want a quasi flat bed so I can still have room for gear stowage. Don't know where you'd put your gear if you went camping in it.

Back