• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ - Daily Driver/Expedition Build

Im interested in some info on the paint used for the hood. I need to repaint my Jeep and that looks like a good color to go with.

IMO rear discs are required even for 31's.. either that or my drums were not working at all. The factory setup is just so horrible, I can't imagine it on 33's. Thanks for your comments...

Before I did the the WJ brake conversion I had 31's and I couldn't agree more with that statement. I really want to do the rear disk conversion, so I'll be following your write up. seems easy enough.

Im interested in some info on the paint used for the hood. I need to repaint my Jeep and that looks like a good color to go with.

It's the factory silver color for 2000.

Before I did the the WJ brake conversion I had 31's and I couldn't agree more with that statement. I really want to do the rear disk conversion, so I'll be following your write up. seems easy enough.

Honestly the parking brake conversion was harder than the disc swap. lol. It was pretty easy otherwise, and totally worth the effort. Now I just need to find time to change over the prop valve.

What I was getting at was this. Is it a rattle can, home spray, or shop sprayed?

That's what I was afraid of. Haha. I drag mine through brush too much to pay a shop. Appreciate the info. I'll just have to find a rattle can that's close.

You can go to a proper paint shop and get rattle cans made up with the correct paint.

Or duplicolor makes some already in factory colors.

Headliner fun time...
IMG_23422_zpsb079c76a.jpg

it went pretty quick with the wife helping
IMG_23442_zpsc5037b90.jpg

looks just like the beef in your Taco Bell taco...
IMG_23432_zps899d1b5c.jpg

I have a grand total of $3.97 in fabric! I got 2 yards from Wal-Mart... can't beat that deal. I painted all the light housing trim and speaker grills to match the dark grey used elsewhere..
IMG_23872_zpsc9baf16e.jpg

I had a few cans on the shelf that were probably 10yrs old. LOL.. The Loctite Med stuff sucked! It dried way too quick and was worthless. I had to tear it off and redo it. So I used the 3M stuff that I had and it worked great. I think it was some all purpose adhesive. I've never used a bad 3M product though.

Very nice! I had to replace the headliner in my '01 XJ as well... finished it about 1 month back. I went w/a gray camo to match the Silver/Gray/Black on my rig and it turned out well. Your pics look all too familiar. Wasn't a hard process, just time consuming to do it right. :) I also used the 3M 'glue' and it works well. It comes out like a very thick spider webbing when spraying.

A new Trac Lok, rebuild kit and 4.10's are going in the 8.25 this week.. it should be done today or tomorrow I'm hoping. I'm halfway regretting the 4.10's already.. but stay tuned for my .02 on how they work for my setup/needs.

IMG_23912_zpse3b068a4.jpg

Update after the 4.10's are installed. I'm really happy with gearing.. its an all around good for daily driving and does great on the highway without reeving too high. Since I don't have any heavy gear or bumpers, the 4.10's seem very well matched to the 31's.

I do have some new wheels going on and I did order 32's. So I might be singing a different tune with the 32's. Well see. I'm getting the correct speedo gear to so I'll know how fast I'm going at a certain rpm.

But 4.10's with 31's are great all day long - If you're loaded down with steel wheels, mud tires, heavy bumpers, winch and gear - go with 4.56's, without a doubt.

I finally got around to installing the hangers for the JKS quick discos. I got these hangers at the hardware store. I mounted one in the bottom of the air cleaner box and the other in the bottom of the battery tray. They are held with a short bungee cable. Simple, no drill, no rattle solution.

IMG_24092_zps5f8a507c.jpg

IMG_24112_zps2c8638dc.jpg

IMG_24142_zps40d7a989.jpg

IMG_24192_zps14b64dec.jpg

Nice! I have a similar setup with my JKS Discos. I haven't had good luck with the bungees though. I've lost 3 or 4 on the trail because of the open ends. I've had better luck with closed style hasps so they don't come off.

When I had the shop put in my 4.10's in the rear.. I gave them Valvoline 75w90 syn gear oil only. When the rear end heated up, I was getting some groaning when I turned and coasted. Last night I drained it, added some Valvoline 80w90 conventional with Lubeguard limited slip modifier and so far so good... no noises. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Back