• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10 years with the XJ.

I ask him that question a year ago and his answer was TJ flares. So yeah TJ flares. I need to find a set myself. Sorry for hijacking your tread. And thanks for posting the progression of you build now I know how it all starts. And if anyone needs glasses pulled out or replaced call me at 650-571-8909 Atlas Auto glass. Anytime Jes

Last edited:
This looks familiar... reminds me of when I got stuck at Malakoff, and before pulling me out, you had to literally drive circles around me!
fawk.gif

Billy

I remember a tree stump and front skid plate getting acquainted that day. :wave:

Some folks call this disease a nice progression, while it's actually just turning something nice into total junk.

Minus all the expensive parts, of course. :D

Nice write up, Jes.

Reactions: Jes
Yeah that so true thats why I can never understand why we take the nicest XJ to cut up. I actually felt better knowing my was a POS when it started life with me. I found out after the fact that it had been rearended and had a rear gate installed

I recommend that you DO NOT get a tow rig and never take your doors off. Before this trip to Johnson Valley I added door bars to my cage, made the doors removable, took the hatch off, and the rear windows out. None of that stuff was ever reinstalled...

UH-OW Just got tow rig.
(and dents in XJ's I was going to fix)

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Thanks for the thread Jes. I was just thinkin about buying a tow rig too. Maybe I'll change my mind now and keep it a DD. After all, it's still straight, at least for now.

Here's another "early version" of Jess' rig. This one was taken at Usal Beach during the "2002 Lost Coast Run". Seems like drop down brackets are really log snaggers. Jess had to bust out a hi-lift to raise his rig enough to clear this log that was laying on the beach. I can't remember if at the time he had drop brackets :D

39338350hHotCT_ph.jpg

:laugh:

I remember that, there was a stump of a limb sticking out of that log and it found its' way into a hole on the bottom of the frame.

For the record, I never had drop brackets.

Here's another "early version" of Jess' rig. This one was taken at Usal Beach during the "2002 Lost Coast Run". Seems like drop down brackets are really log snaggers. Jess had to bust out a hi-lift to raise his rig enough to clear this log that was laying on the beach. I can't remember if at the time he had drop brackets :D

39338350hHotCT_ph.jpg

My 1st NAXJA run. I had my XJ exactly one week.

My 1st NAXJA run. I had my XJ exactly one week.

Funny, reading this thread again and I remembered.
You let me out in traffic when we lived in S.F. You had your brown CJ(6?) and this was before we had ever met.
I thought, "Wow, that guy let me in because I'm driving a lifted Jeep." :D

Year number 11 with the old black XJ now. Unfortunately I didn't get out much last year due to heakth and finantial reasons but did find some good rocks at times.
About the only thing I did was add a 62mm Jeepersandcreeps throttle body and swap in a PSC steering box after the second stock one died. I also ended up breaking a CTM u-joint on Die Hard in AZ. A half hour later it was fixed up and ready to go again.
Wheeling in Arizona...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The body is getting a little hammered...
standard.jpg

Thanksgiving on the rocks URF Canyon...
standard.jpg

Note the rear flairs finally fell off.
Snow wheeling for the first time since 2005 or so...
standard.jpg

Panamint Valley last week...
standard.jpg

At Ballarat...
standard.jpg

When a rock falls in the desert and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
standard.jpg

Back