• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well, Hail!

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
The ZJ went into the shop for a fuel pump. It's under warrenty from last November but they couldn't get a new one today so they gave me a PT Cruiser for a weekend loaner.

Feels like the wife's Grand Caravan had a baby.

I can barely see the road under the roof line. No wonder everybody's riding around low in the seat these days. I feel like Charles Lindberg - I get a better view out the side window.

Wish me luck this weekend. I'll probably end up lodged under a semi.

yea i'm not a big fan of the PEE TEA either. kinda a stupid car in my opinion. but people are fanatical about them.

slider said:
yea i'm not a big fan of the PEE TEA either. kinda a stupid car in my opinion. but people are fanatical about them.

I can almost feel the pavement under the soles of my feet. A little creepy.

I got in and though, "Cool. They gave me a rest for my left foot." Then I realized that wasn't put there just for a foot rest. That's the fender well :scared:

Congratulations, you're driving a wheel chock.

A Neon by any other name is still a Neon!

ChiXJeff said:
Congratulations, you're driving a wheel chock.

That's it! ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

I was trying to think what it felt like. A baby van was all I could come up with. I would have said rollerskate, but I reserve that for two seaters that actually perform.

DaJudge said:
A Neon by any other name is still a Neon!

Well, I don't fit in a Neon, so they at least stretched the door opening, a little.

I was just glad (after I actually got in) that the seat belt fit all the way around me.

the only one I drove was a rental from Little Rock to Memphis and back, only back was in an ice storm. I thought I was going to die about 400 times in the trip back to LR, every bump in the road and that stupid car was all over the place.I was wringing wet with sweat by the time I got to the hotel, kinda soured me on them.

thebrick said:
Yep, its a neon based vehicle.

I drove several those in the rental fleet...never understood why something based on a small car drives like a truck...

Yeah. I noticed that. The cornering is shit, but the steering is quick enough to make me nervous. I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them rolled up in a ditch.

SCW said:
the only one I drove was a rental from Little Rock to Memphis and back, only back was in an ice storm. I thought I was going to die about 400 times in the trip back to LR, every bump in the road and that stupid car was all over the place.I was wringing wet with sweat by the time I got to the hotel, kinda soured me on them.

I don't think they left enough room for the suspension. It's like its lowered from the factory. You're driving around on springboards. There's not enough travel for the dampers to have effect.

oops. sorry. shocks - not dampers. Don't call them by what their real job is. I always get that confused.

Not saying that I like the PT crapper. At least it does not look like a toaster like the Scion XB, or the Honda Element.
Sam

The Scions aren't bad. The xB sucks, the xA is actually kinda nice. The tC's are pretty sweet. I drove my buddy's and it drove really peppy and handled nicely. But to hell with the boxes on wheels. I thought Jeeps were bad...then those came out and I was like "Wow...didn't think they'd actually have the balls to PUT a brick on wheels."

PT Cruisers are awful. They have looks, but the handling is seriously lacking (And that's me being nice). The power doesn't NEAR cover the fact that it weighs damn near as much as a van, and even the Minivans these days have more pep out of their four bangers than a PT does. Granted, if you somehow found a way to put a V8 inside the insanely small engine compartment, and convert it to a RWD vehicle, they'd make some sharp little dragsters, but other than looks, they are purely a POS in my honest opinion

XJLafonda said:
PT Cruisers are awful. They have looks, but the handling is seriously lacking (And that's me being nice). The power doesn't NEAR cover the fact that it weighs damn near as much as a van, and even the Minivans these days have more pep out of their four bangers than a PT does. Granted, if you somehow found a way to put a V8 inside the insanely small engine compartment, and convert it to a RWD vehicle, they'd make some sharp little dragsters, but other than looks, they are purely a POS in my honest opinion

All that and they crumple like tin cans. Come on down and pick yours out today! :D

my mom almost bought a pt loser a few years, back i would have never ridden in it

Hey, I drive a Neon... I'm 6'3 and about 285. Took me 2 months to get the seat just right. I've had it for 4 years now. Bought it with a 5 speed, as the automatics can't get out of their own way. It is plenty zippy for me, and I still get 32MPG out of it. My ZJ isn't bad on gas, I was averaging 21MPG with my commute, but decided to drive the Neon when I didn't need the back seat for a third rider.

Is it an ideal car? No. But it rocks as a commuter for my 100 mile a day round trip.

SCW said:
I know the feeling. I drove a 2001 Ford F150 four door, two wheel drive with cheap ass road tires (Enterprise rental) and nothing in the bed from Tulsa to Oklahoma City on highways of glass.. Was slick enough that on hills I was afraid of stopping because I doubted I'd be able to get started again... I was pretty unhappy that whole trip and wishing for my Jeep!

Right now my rental (I'm in Portland for work) is a V6 Dodge Charger... I actually *really* like the way the vehicle feels for normal driving (I haven't tried hard cornering, etc), it is a big fawker though!

Back