NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 21st, 2010, 17:39
NAXJA Member

List all of your "heat soak", "hot soak" fixes

I recently have had this issue with my 90 RENIX after I switched to Ford injectors. Although i have the issue managed its still not cured.

Two of my co-workers have late model XJ's (00', 01') with the same symptoms and they are also getting the #3 missfire code. We have ruled out the ignition system as a possibility in both cases. The injectors are not leaking down either, tested that as well. One co-worker has tried wrapping #3 injector with heat wrap but the problem still persists.

I was hoping to compile a list of fixes for the heat soak issue with pictures if that is possible

TIA
Old April 21st, 2010, 18:29
NAXJA Forum User

Re: List all of your "heat soak", "hot soak" fixes

If you have heat soak there is one and only one fix: rig your electric aux fan to run for 3-5 minutes after each engine shutdown.

There are timers available, here is one: http://www.at-fairfax.com/P1786-ELK-960.htm

Things that have been tried: wrapping the number 3 injector--fail; shielding the fuel rail and injectors from the manifold heat--fail; hood vents--fail.

Muddeprived just had a couple threads dedicated to his heat soak saga, do a search.
Old April 21st, 2010, 18:55
NAXJA Forum User

^x2....you can also make your XJ hood a COWL hood by putting 1" spacers between the hood hinge and the hood. Works well for air flow.
Old April 21st, 2010, 22:26
NAXJA Forum User

Here's the thread Joe was referring to:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ighlight=timer
Old April 21st, 2010, 22:34
NAXJA Forum User

After a hot run let it idle for few minutes before key off.
Open the hood.
Old April 21st, 2010, 23:11
NAXJA Forum User

On the 2000 & 01 ones can we swap out the exhaust to 98 type where the catalyst is not in the engine buy ? Will that help me out with heat soak on my 2001 ? I know it will cost some $$ but can it Help ? After all is than not the problem anyway.
Old April 21st, 2010, 23:39
NAXJA Member #1310

The fan timer eliminated the vapor-lock part of the hot soak problem in my 2001.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/s...7617434915718/
It does not fix the under lying problem, too much heat being dumped by the two mini-cats. Removing the cats or replacing the manifold with an earlier model is not an option in California or any other state with smog inspections.

Another potential cause of vapor lock is a fuel system that does not hold pressure when the engine is turned off. A leaking injector or a faulty pressure regulator can cause the residual fuel pressure to quickly drop to zero, significantly lowering the boiling temperature of the gasoline in the fuel rail.
A fuel injection pressure gauge is handy for diagnosing this.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old April 22nd, 2010, 00:05
NAXJA Forum User

I will not be removing the cat just moving it somewhere else. Just like the 98 are done OR What if I move the two cat down and out of the engine bay ? I live in texas we have no smog inspections. (So Far !) Yes I like the timer. And may end up doing that. But that is not the main problem. The two cats in the engine bay is the main problem.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:31
NAXJA Forum User

i would just knock the cats out and call it good.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Dyer View Post
i would just knock the cats out and call it good.
ONLY if it dose not make the check engine light come on
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:34
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Ben, that's against federal law. Tough to get at those precats anyways.

xjtrailrider, I am really surprised you are getting heat soak on a '90... the fuel return style rail and lack of pre-cats should pretty much keep that from happening. Maybe the Ford style injectors soak up heat better than the OEM ones or something? Still, really odd.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:51
NAXJA Forum User

i know a few guys out here running no cats on their mud boggers. and in a blind case of they do it so......it must be ok, i figured it was not against the law if your state/county does not require smog testing.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:01
NAXJA Forum User

Emissions control devices on vehicles are a FEDERAL requirement, not state - only CA has more strict emissions regulations, which is why most vehicles are listed w/ "California Emissions Package" or "Federal Emissions Package" - just because the state you live in doesn't have emissions testing doesn't mean it is legal to remove your cat. It won't benefit you in ANY way to remove the cat.

In addition to that, environmentalist groups LOVE to hear how offroaders are doing MORE damage to the environment - it gives them more ammunition to use when trying to close trails/recreational land areas.

Please tell your friends to be responsible and put cats back on their vehicles...
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:08
NAXJA Forum User

you ever try to tell a two toothed country boy what to do to his truck? if i knew them personally i would suggest it lol but in the fact ive only met them a few times at parties ill just stray from running trails with em.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:11
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

the fact that you were passing on their advice and suggesting that people here do the same doesn't say much for your dental condition

Personally I'd go with the fan timer option... seems to be working quite well for those using it so far.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.