• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mobil oil filter

bobmarly123

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I went to my local kragen and Autozone and they told me that they don't carry the mobil filter for my car any more. I have an 89 xj. Mobil filter m1-207. They didn't carry the k&n either. Anyone know why this is and what I can use as a replacement filter?

I got lucky because the guy sold me the last two that he took off the shelf last week.

I think it is the same as a ford.. Look up a mustang filter for the 289/302.. They look the same to me.... Some one with more smarts will say if i'm wrong

I knew Napa would have it but it must be run by some old ladies or something becuase it closes at like 6pm. lol :laugh3: Thank for the numbers.

scottmcneal said:
Hey grimm, does the ford have the same #s???????????????????????
dunno, my home login system is different than at the store, i'll check it out tomorrow when i am at work and can do reverse lookups like that.

Hey Grimm, I dug up a NAPA Gold 1068 oil filter from some dark corner in the garage. Would it be for my 89 Renix by any chance? If it's not too much trouble asking you?
Thanks

Maz said:
Hey Grimm, I dug up a NAPA Gold 1068 oil filter from some dark corner in the garage. Would it be for my 89 Renix by any chance? If it's not too much trouble asking you?
Thanks
your 1068 filter fits a 70s to early 80s chrysler/dodge/plymouth, a few fords, some toyotas in the 70s and a whole bunch of industrial equipment. no jeeps ;)

The reason why you are seeing a lot of these brands disappear is because of rising prices. Fram and purilator are the ones selling most oil filters these days. They are very cheap oil filters, and also can be bought it bulk at really good prices. Most new lube shops dont even by from stores anymore but directly from the manufacturer...

Yes they would cost more but try the Amsoil Ea series oil filters (EaO42). Best filter on the market and good for extended drain intervals if wanted. $15 ea. by the case of 12. I can get a case to my door, or someone better located, and get them to a run or meeting, etc. for distribution.

Other than that, the 2nd or 3rd best (IMHO) and cheaper is the Wix brand
(#51085) which can be found at Napa, Carquest, etc.

89cherokeexj said:
The reason why you are seeing a lot of these brands disappear is because of rising prices. Fram and purilator are the ones selling most oil filters these days. They are very cheap oil filters, and also can be bought it bulk at really good prices. Most new lube shops dont even by from stores anymore but directly from the manufacturer...
thats exactly why my store is going under.

What is the shelf life for oil filters, stored in garage temps? Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to go and get a few good name filters and keep them stocked for the next few years?

Maz said:
What is the shelf life for oil filters, stored in garage temps? Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to go and get a few good name filters and keep them stocked for the next few years?
filters dont really have a "shelf life" but if you were going to store them for a long time i would wrap them in plastic or seal them in a plastic bag to keep dust and moisture out.

This may explain things ...

1987-90 Cherokee is spec'd for K&N HP-2007 or Mobil 1 M1207.

see applications and cross reference links...

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-2007

Note: The filter is U.S. STD thread and not available for global applications -- not to mention it's well beyond the 10 year requirement for OEM support. Since the application and volume is limited, the manufacturers have no incentive to produce and inventory this item. You will start seeing more of this as manufacturers and retailers begin to LEAN out their processes/warehouses.

The oil filter housing was changed mid-year 1990-91 to accept metric thread filters -- my assumption is the newer oil filter adapter will fit on the pre-1990 4.0L IL6 (needs to be verified).

1990-01 Cherokee is spec'd for K&N HP-2004 or Mobil 1 M1204

see applications and cross reference links...

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-2004

Note: The filter is Metric thread with global applications and should be available beyond 2017.

Back